Questions for a Newby

Paroan24

yes replace the one on your old controller thats 100v only with a new one (that maybe dave can get you as a spare part order from tomix) that is the 100-240v universal that you can plug straight into the wall and then into the old controller (like juniors newer ones can.)

the wall wart (called that as they make a bump on the wall at the plug) are the little transformers that drop the power down from the house power of 120v AC down to a lower voltage (12v in this case for the tomix) at DC current. AC and DC currents are different. the train motors almost all run on DC power. So the wall wart transformers drop the voltage down and usually change it from AC to DC current.

in this case the wall wart transformer drops the house power down to 12v dc that goes into the controller and the controller then varies the power going out to the track from 0-12v to make the train go fast or slow. higher the voltage the faster the train goes.

most all electronics now use these wall wart transformers instead of having them inside them and plugging them directly into the wall. makes the device a lot smaller and they can just buy the external wall wart transformers from a supplier and dont have to make them!

jeff

• Like 1

That all makes sense to me now Jeff.  Thanks for all your patience.

I figured people are probably tired of all this talk (I know I am) and I was going to post a bunch of pictures of all my buildings on the structure section but it says my pics are too big and in Mac Photo I do not see how to make them smaller.

You are most welcome, glad it makes sense! worth the patience to help you get it as then you can keep on moving!

in photos here is how you export smaller image files from your library.

- select the photos you want to export

- choose menu File > Export > Export X photos (x will be the number of photos you selected)

- on the dialog that pops up on the top box that is titled Photos click on the little down arrow/expand button just to the right of the Photo Kind pull down and that the photo box will expand.

- choose the size you want of small, medium or large (medium or large should be good for the forum) or you can choose a custom size and set a width. the default 1024 wide should be fine for the forum as well.

small 320 wide

medium 640 wide

large  1280 wide

- Then you can keep the rest of the setting as is and hit export button on the bottom right.

- you will get the standard file dialog box to save the images where you want to on your hard drive. maybe make a new folder (use the new folder button on the bottom left once you are where you want the new folder) for them and plop them somewhere you keep photos. since you might not be keeping the folder of pictures after uploading them into a post you can just make the new folder on your desktop and then easy to find and delete later.

- click export button on bottom right.

- now you will have a folder on the hard drive with all the photos selected at the smaller size you selected and you can use these to upload in to a post. once you have uploaded them you can trash the smaller files as they are now on the forum server and you have your original big pictures in your photos library. or keep them if you think you will want to do some thing with the smaller images later. up to you

cheers

jeff