Farewell to Oreos and Ritz Crackers in Japan

bikkuri bahn

I'm just the opposite, I've never been a fan of Oreos but will miss the Ritz crackers especially the ones with the cheese filling.  Neither are Japanese to start with though.

I was only familiar with Oreos through references in books and never saw any before I came to Japan. For some reason I imagined they were much bigger and somehow amazingly wonderful, but they were just small chocolate (?) flavour biscuits with a sugary cream filling... I guess they are very popular in the US?

They are famous here in Sillypore too, but they are produced from Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam.

Would these make the current Japanese made ones more 'valuable'?  :)

Truly a collector's item, a heirloom to pass onto your grandchildren.

Wasn't there some other US confectionary which had an effectively unlimited shelf-life? Twinkie or Hostess or something?

I think that was Twinkies.  Hostess is/was the umbrella name of the lineup of cheap bakery goods affordable for and consumed typically by schoolage children with a few quarters in their pocket- I was partial to the apple and cherry pies sold at the local corner store (now long gone).

Twinkies were notorious for being post apocalyptic food stuff. But in grad school we left a pair of snow balls (half sphere twinkles with synthetic coconut shavings on top all dyed pink) out on the lab bench for 4+ years exposed to a lot of bacteria and yeast floating around the lab and they never grew anything on them and stayed spongie until we tossed them!

Jeff

• Like 1

Never tried the Twinkies as they were never sold in the UK but I always remember seeing them advertised in the imported Marvel and DC comics that I used to buy as a kid in the 1970/80s. Just remembered the sea monkey adverts too ha! :laughing6: 

They are totally un-natural products, hard to think of anything more un-natural to ingest, but they are good if you are into that sort of thing!

I think they are sold in the uk, I thought I remembered seeing them in northern Scotland and thinking that's wild, but they eat deep fried mars bars there, so a Twinkie ain't so odd. They've probably deep friend twinkles as well!

Jeff

• Like 1