New book: N Gauge layout Plan 50

amszterpeter

post-4143-0-93996200-1471986802_thumb.jpg

Read comments attached to the illustration in the Gallery under Ome-sen.

50 layout plans: 25 for Tomix Finetrack and 25 for Kato Unitrack.

A must have for all Japanese prototype modelers.

Edited by amszterpeter
  • Like 3
amszterpeter

New book by Ikeda Kunihiko.

Title: N Gauge Layout Plans - 50

Published on August 25, 2016, this 208 page paperback contains 50 layouts plans of Japanese prototype model railroads.

25 plans use Tomix Finetrack and 25 plans use Kato Unitrack.

Layout sizes vary from 2' by 3' to a couple that would fill a room, however, the majority of plans are for 3' by 6', aka "tatami size" or "door size".

For each plan there are four images:

1. A color drawing of the plan from above with the tracks and features indicated as in a map.

2. A color drawing of the plan from an oblique view illustrating a fully completed layout with scenery and structures in place. The author, a noted illustrator, does an excellent job giving the impressions of each plan.

3. A monochrome view of 2 above, identifying the main points of interests. If you can't read Japanese skip this section.

4. A detailed plan listing and illustrating the layout using Kato Unitrack or Tomix Finetrack including tunnel portal placements, electrical feeders and elevation changes.

A list of the required track components are provided for convenience.

I received my copy from Amazon.com.jp. Listed at 2880 yen, the book is a must have for all model railroaders who plan on using Japanese prototype.

Cheers.

amszterpeter

Edited by amszterpeter
  • Like 4

You should be able to change Amazon.co.jp to the English language, create an account and order books. I did so too in the past. Changing the language can be done using the menu next to the globe icon on the bottom of each page.

• Like 1

You should be able to change Amazon.co.jp to the English language, create an account and order books. I did so too in the past. Changing the language can be done using the menu next to the globe icon on the bottom of each page.

I have an amazon.co.jp account. brought a few things. either shipped to my friend in Japan or sent to the UK.  Most things they will ship although I have had one or two items they wouldn't send internationally, and I think you can't buy from amazon market place. But I could be wrong as I haven't tried.

Saddly the book shipping rate is much higher now. Use to be 1500 yen for the first book and 300 yen for each additional so we should put in larger orders with the club. Came in like 2 days to the us!

I have had Nariichi order a calendar for me off amazon.jp as it would not ship to the us and also could use Sal shipping in a combined order with him.

Jeff

• Like 1
amszterpeter

I am in the U.S. and have an Amazon.com Prime Account. I also have an Amazon.com.jp account that accepts my U.S. Prime status. The book that is the subject of this topic was bought last week. It was shipped by DHL in three days for 1050 yen. I have ordered several books over the years and shipping charges stayed around the 1000 - 1200 yen mark, always shipped by DHL, the German International Postal carrier and service was fast and reasonable. I have even ordered used books through Amazon.com.jp, but private sources shipped by snail mail and delivery time was 4 to 5 weeks, however, shipping charges were negligible. I have not ordered other than books on Amazon.jp as I use Hobby Search for my model railroad products.

amszterpeter

Ohh that's not bad at all for shipping! Great to know prime does something for jp.

Also great to know some of the independent have cheaper snail mail rates, I need to look around some!

Thanks

Jeff

I will keep an eye open for this book while I am in Japan.  I looks like the old, and sadly no longer in print, Kato track plan book.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifN gauge layout book.jpg

Read comments attached to the illustration in the Gallery under Ome-sen.

50 layout plans: 25 for Tomix Finetrack and 25 for Kato Unitrack.

A must have for all Japanese prototype modelers.

A new book/magazine is always welcome.

This book also pop up when I was checking some magazines in Amazon Japan.

It is quite tempting...

Cheers,

Nxcale

It came up as about $10 shipping on the new book, not bad at all. Used would not ship to the us. Seeing it cheaper makes me now want to look at more books, bad bad bad...

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Really wanted this but works out very expensive with shipping to the UK. Best part of £50 with slow SAL shipping, which is a third of a kato starter set. Wouldn't be worth EMS as that always gets caught by customs. Exchange rates following Brexit have made buying from abroad suddenly prohibitive :-(

hmm my us email address (that i use for the us amazon account login) and my us password and it logs me in for checkout. it only shows my amazon cc though, not my other ccs that are registered on my us amazon account interestingly. it may be from me using amazon.jp in the past and maybe i set up the same account then. it also only shows my address as a possible shipping and none of the other shipping addresses in my us amazon account so i think this may be the case i just set my amazon.jp account up with the same email and password as the us amazon account way back.

amazon global priority shipping to us is about $10.39

you can switch the amazon site into english translation by going to the amazon.jp.co home page and scrolling to the very bottom and you will see two buttons, one with a globe icon and one with a japanese flag. click on the globe and you can set it to english translation in the popup window.  then under the account pulldown you can set up an amazon.jp account and use a cc to check out.

cheers

jeff

I already put some pics somewhere else but here below some others.

So people can check more about this magazine/book.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Thank you for the pictures! I must say that I'm now very intrigued by this book. Track plan 13 certainly gets my gears turning!

In essence, it's a simple dogbone, but with two visible terminal stations and two through stations. The only downside is that while operating, trains can face the 'wrong' direction, as they can get turned when being returned to the terminal station where they started, instead of the opposite terminal. However, that also adds a challenge to operating this layout and can even be done with a semi-automated block system (like Tomix has now in development). I'll definitely have to keep this one in mind for the future!

• Like 2