Eiden Kurama station module?

Ken Ford

I'm still having a hard time kickstarting any modeling after the disaster that was the last year, and something completely new has a lot of appeal. Nj is attracting some of my interest but I'd like to do something more simple and self contained using two or three T Track style modules so I can take it to shows.

I've had a longstanding interest in things Kyoto, mostly centered around the Randen trams. Recently I've been reading up on another former Keifuku property - the Eizan Electric Railway (Eiden), especially the far end of the Kurama line. The Kurama terminal is very small and modelable, if I add a module or two with some typical scenery and a staging module I'd be done. I now realize this line was the inspiration for a few of Ulrich's modules a few years ago.

Kato has done the 900 series cars, but I'm not sure if anyone has done 700s or 800s. Does anyone know?

• Like 2

Tomytec did the Eiden 300 and 600 types, but as far as I know the only other models are the Kato 900s.

I think the nice thing about modelling standard gauge Japanese railway lines is that the gauge is already (very close to) correct, in contrast to cape gauge lines.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2

That's one of the things that appeals to me about Eiden - no gauge correction to look right! The scenery I'm seeing is very interesting, too.

The more I think about it, the more I like it - two Kato 900s and three modules to start. One module would be an interpretation of Kurama, the next a bridge, and the third a little backstage staging area, maybe in a tunnel or behind trees - it wouldn't even need a switch if I limit myself to two cars. Ping-pong the 900s between staging and Kurama, after one train arrives in the station the other leaves for staging. I could probably even do it with automation so I could chat up the hot moms at the shows. Lol

I think most show tables here are 6' long, so I'd limit myself to that overall length for all modules to keep things simple. It's also easier to get show space for a single table.

Ulrich looked like he was having fun, now I want to try!

• Like 1

I think it also might be worth looking at the Hakone-Tozan Railway. That's also a standard gauge mountain-climbing railway with very beautiful views and interesting short rolling stock. It's not a line in Kyoto though. ;)

I actually have some Hakone Tozan equipment, and was planning a small module based in one of the switchbacks when my world blew up last year. I put it to the side for now, the memories are still a little strong to work on it. That's why I'm looking at something completely different for a new project.

Ken, I'm really looking forward seeing your progress on this.

Yeah, me too. ;-)

To that end... I tried to buy a Kato 900 that was being sold here, but the seller didn't seem to want to sell so I found both red and orange ones on eBay, they're on order and should be here in a week or two. I have a piece of 3/4" ply out in the garage that I think I'm going to use to make a module the same way that Ulrich did; I'm on my way to the hobby shop now to look at Unitrack bridges and other items.

I want to keep moving while I have momentum! Lol

• Like 1

That's true. This fall colours on this layout for example are way too oversaturated. Modelling realistic looking foliage is already difficult, but Fall may be the most difficult season of them all.

• Like 1

I like the idea.  I wanted to do something similar.  But the Kato Eiden stuff is just too overpriced at the moment.  I did see one colour on ebay a few months back at about $130 AUD, dunno what that is US.

• Like 1

Like any good prototype, numerous people have already done Kurama. This one is interesting:

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/kurama

The page mentions a laser-cut kit that is or was available for the station building, but my Google-fu is weak. Does anyone have an idea of who made the station?

Nice module, but the real platform is a bit longer (2 cars) and the station tracks are of equal length, so the buffers are in line with each other.

• Like 1

A good project! Eizan is one of the few Kansai based railway companies that can get my attention, due to the short one and two-car 16m length trains and super compact station layouts. One of the stations that really grabbed my attention is Demachiyanagi where there are three stub tracks, but with two housing two car formations, and one just single car formations.

I'll be looking forward to your progress!

• Like 1

Here's another interpretation I found - sadly I didn't note the site where I found this, it was probably something that popped up on a Google image search:

post-742-0-13380600-1471796477_thumb.jpeg

That must have been it - you can see the halftone grid, so it must have been scanned from a magazine article.

Eiden is so attractive that there are probably many, many models that have been some of various stations. I'm a little surprised the other current trams haven't been done - there are only two prototype 900 pairs but quite a few of the 700s and 800s in use.

You would think that it is just a matter of time before Tomytec will release the 700 and 800 types. Maybe you should start scratch-building it. Anything that gets scratchbuilt at JNS seems to result in a Japanese manufacturer releasing a proper model of it. ;)

• Like 1

I found a paper model of the Eiden 700:

http://staticwind.soragoto.net/ppc/train/eiden720/index.html

Linked to by this website, that also shows a toy 700:

http://staticwind.blog69.fc2.com/

According to Wikipedia, the 700 was built upon chassis from older train types, including the 300 type. That means that if you have a body, you should be able to reuse the underfloor equipment and bogies. I believe only the 730 subseries has equipment from the 300 type.

Alternatively, the guide on the papercraft shows how you can fit it together with a Tomytec TM-10.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2