The central divider is always such a good idea. You can have two (or more) totally different settings on a small space while it all makes perfect sense!

Some of the spacious setup of the countryside is a bit odd, as well as the detailing, but it's all about the character and charm.

• Like 1

Some of the spacious setup of the countryside is a bit odd

Indeed - I had interpreted the "temple" as a roadside restaurant with a few hotel rooms ;-)

Looks like a cut-down castle, or something Buddhisty you'd find in the Tibetan foothills.

I feel an overwhelming urge to cover those bare hills with dense foliage. A derelict light van or two in corners of a field wouldn't come amiss either ;)

Claude_Dreyfus

The guy who built and owns this layout lives just down the road from our club, so we invited the layout to our 2015 open day (that is how he got the invite to the Gaugemaster as some of my Japanese layouts have attended shows in the past).

By his own admission, the layout is more inspired by Japan, than a slavish copy; but it proved popular at our open day and I am sure will do so in subsequent shows. A few pictures from our open day.

IMG_1181_zpsijkb451e.jpg

IMG_1182_zpsxdcwlf0b.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsbhok3nax.jpg

IMG_1215_zps51my3adz.jpg

IMG_1219_zpskpvea9ue.jpg

• Like 3

Nice display and well done. Nice thing about modeling Japan there is usually a prototype for most every scene idea! It's good everyone does not attempt to totally copy Japan but instead use it for inspiration like this chap. We all have our own sub interests and joys.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

The layout looks fun and good as a show/play layout. I was thinking about using the same german 1960ies building (the green one, i have one too) as it looks good as japanese. Some of the scenes look very creative.

I think the problem with the photos on the Gaugemaster site is that they look very "washed-out", looks a lot better in these.

I agree with railsquid, the layout looks a lot better in Claude's photos although I think the scenery in the country section could be a lot greener, you don't see much brown in the Japanese countryside.

True, the newly planted rice paddys could mean it's late winter/early spring.

I have been to a few real places in Japan that don't look much like Japan either.

I think this is the one where the creator got his inspiration from youtube and google earth and hasn't been to Japan?

I like it a lot. I was hoping to see it at a local show in the spring but I missed it.

Hope to see it in the flesh on Sunday. Got to deliver a pachinko machine in Essex and divert to Ford on the way back.

Whenever I hear Pachinko in an English language sentence, this song springs to mind:

Don't play it while driving. You might go too fast!

Okay, I'll stop now...

P.s. I like how the embedding of the street track and points was solved; just don't put the actual moving parts on the road itself!

Its worse than that. Its Nao Oikawa Fruit scandel (be very careful doing an image search of that name :D )

During Ootari it plays. Material Girl, Hot Stuff, Pyshical or I'm in the mood for dancing. It can get very repeatative