Kato EF510-0 (1-310) DCC ready ??

domino

Hey all

I have the Kato EF510-0 , according to the Japanese manuel that comes with the train it seems that this train is DCC ready,  but i can`t find the 8 pin plug anywhere ??

Can anyone help please.

regards

Brian 

Hi folks, has any one fitted ESU dcc to this model? I have fiited the unit and the model runs well, but I can' get the lights to work ,only the head light on the arrowed end.

Adrien COULLET

Good evening to all,

I'm in France, and I own a Kato EF510 HO Cassiopeia. I want to use it on a DCC layout, but I've not found any socket. Is anyone have a solution to install a DCC decoder ? Where can I find the sounds of the real EF510 ?

Thank you very much.

Cordially

Adrien

Adrien COULLET

Is it possible to have pictures of your work ? I just receive my EF510 and it is difficult for me to digitalize this model. Thanks

There was an earlier topic about this.  It seems that the frame is made with space for a decoder but you'll have to hard wire one in.  For sound you'll either have to see if there is any company in Japan selling a decoder with sounds already installed, or cut sound from youtube videos of the full size locomotive and create the decoder sound files yourself.

I'm sure I've posted this several times, but I am unable to find it.

Check out the picture here at mokei-ya.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2012/11/post-0762.html:

p1230277.jpg

Pay close attention to where the traces have been cut on the PCB.

As far as the sounds for the EF510-500 are concerned, they are not freely available.  I have seen/heard a few personal sound project builds for the ESU Loksound V4 and one from a small Japanese retailer, apart from Kato's own, but they are not available for download.

Also be aware that the PCB in the Kato Custom Shop 29-822 is different to the regular 1-310, so you won't be able to just take a look at what has been done on the 29-822 and copy it.

Adrien COULLET

Hi,

I've soldered my decoder as the picture. The front light is correct with F0, the rear red light is correct with F1 but when I reverse, no front light and the red one stay at the same place  ??  I don't understand...

1 hour ago, Adrien COULLET said:

Hi,

I've soldered my decoder as the picture. The front light is correct with F0, the rear red light is correct with F1 but when I reverse, no front light and the red one stay at the same place  ??  I don't understand...

There are only 3 outputs soldered on from the decoder, the white and yellow for F0 (headlights) and a green seems to be for F1. The blue is the light common power, while red and black are the track pickups.

For 4 light operation, 4 outputs are required (7 wires, F0*2, F1, F2) or you have to cross connect the reds to the opposing whites (5 wires), but then the F1 wire won't be needed.

I'm pretty sure something is missing from the image or the loco in question was wired for single direction running only.

Adrien COULLET

I think I have a problem with the Kato selector. The notice (in Japanese only) can't help me. Is anyone translate it ?

Do you mean the screw style selector?

If so, the Illustrations about the positions found in the manual are as follows: (from top to bottom)

-With train: Headlights in direction of travel, No Tail Lights
-Shunting mode: Headlights in direction of travel, Left Tail Light on on both ends
-Solo/Transfer: Head and Tail Lights on

• Like 1
Adrien COULLET

Thanks. I've finished to digitalize my EF510, without sound for instance. It run perfectly. Actually, I've only 4 cars, the next cars are between Japan and France...

SDIM21603c.jpg.4470d49dcbe3cf0e3a1a627a4501abbf.jpg

SDIM21600c.jpg.8bf49505fa76df35a6de2e111c29066a.jpg

• Like 2
philipnz1

I do not understand the comment on the four wires to make the lights work correctly. I copied the mods to the motherboard and have lights that work but not for two way operation.  Can you supply some more detail please.

1 hour ago, philipnz1 said:

I do not understand the comment on the four wires to make the lights work correctly. I copied the mods to the motherboard and have lights that work but not for two way operation.  Can you supply some more detail please.

What wires? Shouldn't need to touch wires on a EF510.

philipnz1

Referring to comment by kvp in the thread.

Linking red light to the white light. Or the option of 4 wires. Where are these wires soldered onto the motherboard.

Thanks