Question from a newbie - problems installing light kit for Kato

Gadgetguy

I have purchased recently a Kato 4059 - Saro 165 n scale passenger car.

As per the seller this is compatible with the Kato light kit -11-211 so I got that as well.

Now I try to install the light kit - and I run into problems.

I am able to remove the bottom of the car - to get to the weights and the copper conductors - but I am not able to remove the seating to get to the top of the car to install the lights.

It looks like the car is one piece - the seating moves around inside but there is absolutely no way I can see to get to the top.

There must be a way - otherwise there would be no copper conductors to allow for lighting. But how?

Any pointers would be VERY welcome.

Thank you all and greetings from Oakville ( Toronto area), Canada

post-4155-0-13126700-1470281978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gadgetguy

Not sure if you are going about dismantling the car the right way.

Normally, you bow out the sides of the body and let the entire floor (along with the seating) drop out.  Then it's simply locating which end has the support for the lighting unit, slotting the copper contacts into place and clipping the light unit, holder and lens into position.  There should be no need to move or remove any seating.

Not sure if you are going about dismantling the car the right way.

Normally, you bow out the sides of the body and let the entire floor (along with the seating) drop out.  Then it's simply locating which end has the support for the lighting unit, slotting the copper contacts into place and clipping the light unit, holder and lens into position.  There should be no need to move or remove any seating.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

There seem to be two floors in that car: one floor has the wheels attached to it on the bottom and has the copper conductors and weights on the top side. That floor comes out easily.

But then there is a second floor above which the seating is - and that second floor looks like it is the same part then the overall main body of the carriage - so I see no way to remove hence I cannot get to the top inside of the car

I am attaching two pictures: one shows the part that comes off easily (the wheels are on the other side), the other shows the part I am unable to take apart - and I beleive the lights should be in there.

post-4155-0-59629500-1470283459_thumb.jpg

post-4155-0-30648300-1470283460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gadgetguy

Oh dear.  That's one of the horrible old ones.  You need to pop the roof off in order to get inside.

You are probably right. But there is no visible seam or gap or similar suggesting that the roof can be popped off. So how do I do it?

Insert a flathead screwdriver or similar through the car end door and push the roof outwards. 

Thank you so much - that did the trick! The roof is off and now I can put the lights in. I would not have thought of that. Thank you again!