7th Annual Train Day - Los Altos, CA

serotta1972

serotta1972

We were discussing having a Bay Area Modelers meet up, well here is a wonderful opportunity for us to get together, talk trains and the best part, run them.  We were just extended an invitation by Paul Ingraham aka Railtunes to attend this show and not just as spectators but as participants meaning we can run trains and also be ambassadors of this wonderful hobby of ours and specifically Asian and Japanese Trains.  

Here are information provided by Paul:

Event: 7th Annual Train Days

Location: Los Altos History Museum, 51 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos, CA 94022
The museum is in the Civic Center Complex, behind the library
Dates: Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18
Time: 10 am - 4 pm both days

The show features operating layouts in scales from live steam to N scale. The N scale exhibit will be a combined NTRAK and AsiaNRail modular layout. Those interested in helping set up or operate the layouts can contact Paul Ingraham, AsianRail Coordinator, at <pei@sonic.net> for additional details. Exhibitors and affiliates of displaying clubs get free admission and home-cooked breakfast and lunch each day, provided by the museum. Come join us - especially Asian railway modelers - for a fun weekend of running trains and getting to know who else in the Bay Area likes Asian railway modeling!

Let me or Paul know if you can attend, would like to run trains and also if you are able to help out.  Do I see FREE entry, breakfast and lunch?  

• Like 2

Nice! Glad you guys are getting together with paul and his gang!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
serotta1972

Count me in!  I would be happy to help out as well.

Hey Kiha66, please contact Paul to get more details about helping out.  Looking forward to seeing you there.

• Like 1
nscalestation

I will be there with my Tokyo modules which will be a full 2 meters long this time so they can be in the loop part of the AsiaNrail layout.  I'll also have my Ntrak / AsiaNrail junction module in the Ntrak layout.  First show for me in over a year so I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1
serotta1972

Hi Brad, I look forward to meeting you and seeing your modules. I hope you'll be bringing the 16 car 700 Shinkansen, that would be a sight to see on the NTrak setup.

Junior

nscalestation

Hi Brad, I look forward to meeting you and seeing your modules. I hope you'll be bringing the 16 car 700 Shinkansen, that would be a sight to see on the NTrak setup.

Junior

Yes, we will finally catch up.  I will bring my 700 but also my newest - E5 Hayabusa 10 car set which we got to ride last year. 

I'm aiming to b there on Saturday. A busy few months for me, but I have time penciled in.

Looking forward to it!

nscalestation

I'm aiming to b there on Saturday. A busy few months for me, but I have time penciled in.

Looking forward to it!

Excellent Malcolm, it will be great to finally meet you.  Be sure to bring something to run.   

Oh man, this date snuck up on us quick!  I am looking forward to meeting you guys and of course seeing some Japanese trains running on the N-Trak and the AsiaNrail layout.  I'm trying to decide now what trains to bring and most likely my favorites  - Tokai Type trains in the different liveries.    I have been looking forward to seeing Brad's 16 Car 700 Series Shinkansen and I hope Kiha66 brings his newly acquired 16 Car Series 0.

-Junior

I am looking forward to the event as well, I'll be sure to bring the Series 0!  I'll try to bring my camera along as well to get some photos.

Yes, it's come up quick alright !

For those of you attending on Saturday, might I suggest we go out after the show closes at 4:00pm for an early dinner and drinks.  It just so happens that only a few blocks from the show venue there is a Japanese Yakitori Izakaya.  

Only thing is this place does not open until 5:30pm so we might have some time to kill or maybe someone has other suggestions.

Great idea, Brad!  I really want to have a "Meet and Greet" on Saturday evening, September 17, since we have several visiting JNS Forum people attending and helping with the show. This looks like the perfect Asian-themed place to do it. Should we make a reservation for, say, 10 people? 

If you're joining us for this show, can you let us know if you'll be at the Meet and Greet?  Contact me directly: Paul Ingraham: <pei@sonic.net>

For everyone attending and helping: Set up at the musem will start on Friday evening, Septyember 16 at 4 pm and run until 8 pm. We can also get in early Saturday morning (8 am) for the participant's breakfast and final setup details before the doors open at 10 am.

Thanks to all who will be participating. See you this Friday!

Paul

I will be meeting up with IST around 8 am and then drive over to Los Altos and get there before or by 9 am.  As much as I would love to go have dinner with you all after the show, I'm only being given a 6 hour pass.  I'm still in negotiation to be able to stay longer.  :)

• Like 1

Well, plans got switched around on me. It's my Mum's 70th birthday. We were planning to do something on Friday, but sh requested that we move it to Saturday. So, I'm out. I'll have to get the next round.

Have fun! And...yeah, take photos!

I am now in San Francisco, waiting for the meeting with you guys!

I am sorry, but the dinner won't work for me, I promised my wife to get back to the city around 2 pm. We have lot to see here, but stay only a couple of days.

It was a fun day at Train Day! Thank you Paul and Brad for welcoming us and allowing us to be a part of the event and the best part being able to run trains. Good to see you again Paul (Railtunes), great to finally meet you Brad (nscalestation) and see his wonderful modules, and good to meet 2 other forum members - Istvan (IST) all the way from Hungary and Sam (Kiha66). It was great hanging out and running trains with you all today. Aside from running the trains, it was also nice to help out a little with the set up and see how meticulous and organized Paul is with this modules and interchangeable scenery. The only bummer was I still didn't get to see the 16 Car 700 Shinkansen but I know there will be other opportunities in the near future. Looking forward to our next meet up. Hope to meet you next time MalcoJoJo.

• Like 3

Yes, It was a great show and on Saturday we did get the band together for a group photo.

From left to right:  Sam (Kiha66), Istvan (IST), Junior (Serotta1792), Paul (railtunes), David (not on JNSforum), and Brad (nscalestation).

I've got a few other photos from the layout that I'll put in another post.

LATD2016a.jpg

• Like 11

So great to hear it was a fun get together from around the Bay Area and the world! Also really great to have faces with names!

Cheers

Jeff

And in front of us is Brad's wonderful module with a bunch of really nice little details.  In the station is my Series 885 "Around Kyushu" train and Sam and I had to keep correcting folks politely as they kept calling it a Japanese Bullet Train.  Really can't blame them as it does look like a bullet.  :)

A big thank you to Paul and Brad for letting me come down and play this weekend!  I was great to meet everyone who showed up, I think we all had fun running trains.  Paul and Brad have some amazing modules, the photos really don't do them justice. Can't wait for the next event!

• Like 5