Kato Point derail - advice ?

Cen

AAArgh - I wish I'd known about them a few hours ago!

I went back to model junction, swapped all 8 points for #6 points. I bought a power splitter and two new power entry track pieces (doh). I also bought some wider viaduct track for the outer loop top left corner.

Damn those #6 points are huge compared to the #4. I had to re-jig most of the front of the plan to get it to stay on the baseboard.

So now I have : Outer loop, works with the 4 car N700 - hurrah! Inner loop - works with my diesel - hurrah! Both seem to make it across the points - hurrah! Power seems to be working on both loops too.

So, problem solved. Now I need to make the track work everywhere and then secure it to the baseboard somehow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement!

Cheers,

Cen.

Cen,

you should be much happier with running the larger trains with the #6s!  :grin

worth doing the giggling to get them in there.

the kato n700 seems to like to pick points, even #6s when coming out of turns right into a point. the tomix n700 is totally happy with them... go figure. on our new jrm sectional plan i have put 186 sections between any of the double viaduct curves and the #6 points to try and help this problem.

cheers

jeff

Mudkip Orange

on our new jrm sectional plan i have put 186 sections between any of the double viaduct curves and the #6 points to try and help this problem.

Is this something you only do for reverse curves? Or do you do it for continuance curves as well.

Mudkip,

not sure what you mean by reverse curves, if you mean S curves then yes this time around we have at least a 124 or 186 now in the center of an S curve so that no two curve sections join in different curve directions directly, all reverses in curves are separated. a few of the shinkansens seemed to have problems with the S curve on the old track plan now and then.

we still have a long viaduct station down one side of the layout that has passing tracks the whole length. each #6 switch at the ends of these use to connect right onto the double viaduct curves. now there is a 186 separating them so the wheels dont have to come right out of the curve and hit the #6 point blade or have to run through the flangeway (this is a tad bumpie it seems when there is lateral pressure on the trucks via the curve right there).

we still have an S curve in the shinkansen yard with the path in the second track (LH #6 then a RH #6), but the rest of the track paths then have separation between the curved paths on the points. we dont have a lot of trouble with S curves in our yard ladders in the past and a few actually had 1.5 S curve (this ladders was created in an odd space and with just the points and track we had extra so a tad funky). running things at slow speeds seems to help a lot on this problem, but once and a while a train would pick a point in the yard ladder, so the new ladder is very clean. going to cost a little for a few more points, but worth it.

cheers

jeff

Cen - That is a good retailer for doing the exchange. Even though the #6 are longer you will be a lot happier in the long run.

Mudkip Orange

now there is a 186 separating them so the wheels dont have to come right out of the curve and hit the #6 point blade or have to run through the flangeway (this is a tad bumpie it seems when there is lateral pressure on the trucks via the curve right there).

That's what I was looking for, thanks.