Thinking of travelling to Japan on a train adventure

I started a new job a few months ago, and since money is coming in steadily and now I earn paid time off, I'm thinking of finally living my dream of travelling to Japan.

Since I may not get a second chance to go there (Sounds pessimistic but you never really know) I want to do as much as I can when I go. Apart from train stuff, there's alot of culture related things I'd like to do.

I have set up a basic itinerary, just travelling for now, though I'm still adding and removing as I find things I want to see and others I can see at the same time as other things.

-Fly from Sydney Airport to Kansai Airport

-Catch the Rapi:t from the Airport to Nankai-Namba Station.

-Catch a train from Nankai-Namba Station to Umeda Station.

(Spend some time around Osaka, photographing and riding some Hankyu trains)

Catch a train from Umeda Station to Shin-Osaka Station.

Catch a Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka Station to Okayama Station.

Catch a train from Okayama Station to Takamatsu Station.

(Spend time in Shikoku)

Catch Sunrise Seto from Takamatsu Station to Tokyo Station.

Catch a Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Shin-Hakodate Hokuto Station.

Catch a train from Shin-Hakodate Hokuto Station to Sapporo Station.

(Spend time in Sapporo)

Above trip in reverse, Sapporo Station to Tokyo Station.

(Spend time in Tokyo)

Going to be busy. Anyway, I'd love advice from any people who have done plenty of train travel in Japan. I realize this is going to cost a fortune, but it's totally do-able right?

And are there any cool little train things I should see? I want to see a real EF66 in the old cream and blue colors, so I'm thinking of going to the Kyoto Railway Museum. I'd like to see a 300 series Shinkansen but the only one is in Nagoya right?

So any advice, tips and info on stuff would be appreciated.

I thought my trip to Japan in 1990 would be a once in a lifetime thing too, but I'm going for the 13th time in September.

Sounds like a pretty good itinerary that covers a fair bit of the country.  How long are you spending in Japan?  I think you'd want at least two weeks to do your itinerary justice.  I've been working on the itinerary for my trip for almost a year and it still keeps changing almost from day to day and will most likely be subject to alteration as we go once we get there.

If you stay at reasonably priced hotels like Toyoko Inns you will find your trip cheaper than a similar length and quality holiday in Australia.

You might still catch an EF66 in freight service on the Tokkaido main line, there are still a small handfull left, but at the Kyoto museum you'll be certain of seeing one.

Edited by westfalen

The Sunrise Seto can be caught from Okayama, Himeji and Osaka on it's way to Tokyo.  It doesn't stop at Osaka going west for whatever reason.  I notre a trip to Takamatsu.  Any reason for that?  If just to catch the Seto, then as I said, it can be caught at other locations.

Hokkaido - Tokyo to Sapporo is 7 hours by train.  With 2 weeks available to you, decide on if Hokkaido is right for you.  To do Hokkaido justice, you need about a week from all accounts.  In and out of KIX, I'd probably limit myself to east and west Honshu.  Really depends on what you are in to.

Edited by katoftw

Wow ~ That is going to be quite a lot of travel, and you will need a rail pass, national one at least, since you will be going to Hokkaido and Shikoku. But beware the first leg of the journey, the Rapit and the Hankyu trains will not be covered... You could however, change to the JR Haruka instead that gets you from Kansai to Osaka.

You might just be touching Shikoku and back and touching Hokkaido and back, with really no time to do much sightseeing or touring around. Like katoftw mention, you need around at least 3-4 days to do each area justice. But if you only wish to ride the trains then I guess that's fine. Do remember to travel light if you are trying for the above since you do not wish to drag luggage around... It's tough, I've been there and done that and it's really quite a hassle.... It also depends on your companion, but if you are alone, then I guess that's fine.

Let us know how long your trip might be and we might be able to advise further...

Exciting as always to plan a trip to Japan!  ;)

You should definitely see a castle on your trip. Probably down south is best. Himeji castle (姫路城), Hikone castle (彦根城), and Bicchu Matsuyama castle (備中松山城) are all in original condition, and all quite spectacular. By itself 城, the Japanese word for castle, is pronounced shiro, but at the end of a name, it's jo with a long o, e.g. Himeji-jo.

Depending on how it fits with the length of your stay I would have your railpass start on the day you leave Osaka and get a Kansai Thru pass for your stay in the area.

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html

It covers everything in the Kansai area except JR.

http://www.surutto.com/images/ticket/kansai_thru_pass/english/en_map.pdf

JR 500 makes a good point about travelling light, I have made my last few trips with just a small backpack and a small camera case.  Not only does it make travelling around once you get there easier but if you can take it on the plane as carry on luggage it saves you waiting around the baggage carousel at the airport.

Alright so a few questions to answer.

Ideally I'd like it to be 2 weeks. I earn I think 4 weeks paid time off a year I think, but I have to take 2 at a certain time. That leaves me 2 weeks whenever I want. I'd like to be there to see the cherry blossoms in bloom.

The trip to Takamatsu is partially because JR Shikoku has a train I'd like to ride, but other than that there isn't too much I know of I want to see there. I'd need to do more research to see if I want to stay there longer, or if I could use that time better elsewhere and just go to Shikoku for some train spotting.

Someone I have spoken to suggested I stay in backpacker places to go on the cheap. I'm not really that comfortable with it, but only because I don't really get what that kind of thing is. Has anyone spent time in backpacker places?

Keikyu,

I'm sure you are aware that the cherry blossom season can be the hardest time to travel in Japan as its high tourist season even for Japanese! It can be quite expensive compared to going at shoulder times to the other big travel times.

I've not stayed in any of the backpacker or hostels (but I would expect in Japan them being a bit cleaner and nicer than in other places), but have stayed at a number of little ryokans that can be quite inexpensive, clean and comfortable. These are just small tutami mat rooms with a small roll up futon to sleep on and a small table and chair (usually floor level). Toilet, sink, showers and bath are usually shared (although some of the nicer, more expensive ones have private baths). Many times you get a light breakfast (many times traditional raw egg on rice with seaweed, sometimes more western) and some provide a more traditional multi course dinner as an option (these are the nicer places). Some have been really inexpensive and were very gracious and would store bags if you want off traveling for a few days and did not want to schlep everything with you.

The three sisters in Kyoto was one of these that was the sweet spot in price, convienence, qualify, and pleasant. They cater to foreigners. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2001/06/30/general/the-three-sisters-inn-owned-by-three-sisters/#.V5ZqiJD3arU Others are a mix. I ended up in a few that I was one of a handful of non Japanese there that year probably, but I knew enough of the customs to not offend and tried to be as respectful and ask questions politely if I had any before doing something and was always treated extremely well even when little language in common.

As others have mentioned the business hotels also are a good deal. Usually very clean and well kept. They are tiny, some almost a closet. One I stayed in had just enough room for a very small bed and just enough room to walk down one side of the bed and a bathroom that was basically a tiny shower stall with a toilet and sink in it that I could not stand up straight in! But it totally sufficed and was a very good deal and location. The rest were larger, but very compact.

Western style hotels will cost you and unless you need that for your comfort or piece of mind (some do when they travel, hey we are all different) I found a waste (I got bumped into a couple with airline issue and convention foul up for a night - glad I did not pay the rack rate) except in some places if you go in the real off season they can be the best deal! I once got a full suite in imbuski in the off season at a resort cheaper than a ryokan! Was nice to spread out for a couple of nights (I'm 6'4") but a bit strange to be in a big fancy resort hotel with only a handful of guests in it (staff outnumbered us 25 to 1)! Felt like the Shining! Kept expecting one of the guests to be Jack Nicholson and seeing redrum on the walls and two little girls in the long halls! ;-p

Have a great trip, I bet it will lead to more in the future!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

You could stay in hostels (the backpacker places you mentioned) if you wish.  They are on the cheap side.  And well worth it if you are trying to save  a lot of pennies.  But you'll share a dorm with four to six other people.

Or budget business hotels like Toyoko Inn.  They have an English website and you can book 3 month ahead if a non member.  A single room will cost about 2800-4800 depending on the location and day of week.  So about $35-$65 AUD.  Most of the time it'll cost about $40-$45 a night.

Or if you are adventurous and would like to experience truly Japan, you could try the capsule hotels ~  :)

Yeah I understand cherry blossom season is going to be bustling, but I figure it's always going to be like that and it's always something I've wanted to do. if I keep putting it off because it's too crowded I'll never end up seeing them.

And I think a hotel sounds nicer than a hostel. I get the person telling me was just trying to save me money, but it doesn't sounds like my kind of thing. I prefer to be on my own or with people I know than random people. I'd probably just go budget hotels, since ideally I won't be spending too much time in it anyway as I want to experience night life too.

Though probably for one night I'd splurge a bit and stay around one of those onsens. They look so damn comfortable.

Capsule hotels seem nightmarish, like sleeping in a morgue or something.

Or budget business hotels like Toyoko Inn.  They have an English website and you can book 3 month ahead if a non member.  A single room will cost about 2800-4800 depending on the location and day of week.  So about $35-$65 AUD.  Most of the time it'll cost about $40-$45 a night.

The other thing about Toyoko Inn is that there are no surprises when you get to your room, every one is pretty much the same as the next.  Although they are a bit basic for some people's tastes I've never found anything that comes close elsewhere in the world for the price.  They have free wifi and a small coin laundry but don't expect more than a very basic, but free, Japanese style buffet for breakfast.  The latter is no big deal though because in Japan, especially around railway stations, you are never more than a few steps away from a bakery.

I will be using them for my next trip.  And since the kids get up stupidly early as all young kids do.  No chance of missing out on breakfast.  Kids like basic breakfast options. Win!