Quality issues - Greenmax Plasser & Theurer Tie Tamper

velotrain

GeorgeHInch

Side note: does it have working headlights or when they say working lights do they mean only the overhead work lights?

2 hours ago, GeorgeHInch said:

Side note: does it have working headlights or when they say working lights do they mean only the overhead work lights?

From this video by Shigimon, it doesnt look like the headlights are working, just the overhead work lights... They dont look so bright though...

I think the light brightness issue was only on the ballast regulator:

*Edit, i got confused with the tamper and ballast regulator!  😛 I have the ballast regulator and is pre-ordering the tamper ~ So my earlier comments are invalid.. apologzies!  😛

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I bought one about a year ago and I’d say it’s easily my worst runner. The noise is terrible and the power pickup makes the lights flicker constantly. The lights themselves are insufficiently shielded, and the effect is that the cab has a pair of cartoon eyes inside it. This product, considering its price, is the main reason I hesitate to recommend greenmax trains. 

I'm surprised, their new coreless mechanism is in my opinion the best on the market at the moment. Did you try troubleshooting the model and/or giving it a bit of oil?

Unfortunately, Greenmax had a few trains that had light sippage issues. But I'm very happy with the models I have from them. But they are all recent release.

• Like 1

It is a total one off mech from my memories and it wasn’t very sophisticated. I need to pull mine out and have another look, I put in the pile if I need to come back and play with this to get it running better and do some light shielding and put a current limiter in for the led to get better constant light as the motor does need a relatively high voltage to run.

jeff

GeorgeHInch

@bc6 Ironically coming back to this thread since they announced the new release and I can finally get my hands on one. It feels like with a few more years experience I'm just going to tear out the lights that come with this and replace them with something less intense. I'm curious when he mentioned in that post about the light board being permanently attached but I guess I'll find out later this year!

GeorgeHInch

I have a left over Digitrax sound decoder that doesn't currently have a home. Most of my other sound decoders are ESU at this point so I think I'll throw it in this model. I'll start tinkering with some sound files since I figure there will be nothing close in the limited Digitrax library.

• Like 1

I even forgot about this post, Ive preordered the Green version since I missed out on the last one. Im curious do you think that the quality will be better than the previous release?

Edited by bc6

I’m guessing just a rerun, but who knows maybe they will clean some of the rough edges off. It runs ok, just a bit growly and the lights are way too bright. I’ve still not played with mine to try to reduce noise or mute the lights. Lights can be dealt with a number of ways.

jeff

GeorgeHInch

@bc6 from what it seems it would just be a rerun. The only new thing Greenmax seems to be showing is an additional new livery in this batch. Everything else looks identical but I’d love a surprise between here and August. 

@GeorgeHInch Yeah rerun it probably will be what a shame, I won't hold out hope for anything special I'd like to get my hands on one being the MOW nerd that I am lol. 

@cteno4 Thanks for replying, Im hoping they will fix the growling of the motor lol it would be a nice treat for new owners of the Tamper. 

I tried to take mine apart -- I have the weird blue and green one IIRC) -- in order to add DCC.  Didn't get it all apart when I put it aside.  They look cool and I wouldn't mind an original yellow one as well as the cool special liveried one.

I remember poking at mine for a bit to see how to disassemble and it not looking apparent and had the same reaction of putting aside for later!

jeff

• Like 1
GeorgeHInch

@bc6 I was trying to find this for preorder on PlazaJapan so I can submit a preorder for other things as well. Not there yet but I did check out the Greenmax page in the process and saw the note saying:

前回製品<4709>との違い (Difference from 4709)
■パッケージサイズの変更 (Package size change)

So that should confirm that it's otherwise identical to previous releases.

@cteno4 I'll try to make a teardown guide when it arrives and I go to install the decoder for it. Hopefully I don't get so overwhelmed I set it aside as well.

Edited by GeorgeHInch
  • Like 2

@GeorgeHInch I don’t think it was horrible it just wasn’t totally obvious, but I do recall thinking I had seen the path but just looked too long to walk at that point in time so set it aside. But would be good to have some breakdown pictures as odd assemblies as trying to explain and even remember them later to tell someone is hard. 

cheers

jeff

@GeorgeHInch Thanks for checking thats too bad but Im still getting it lol. I'll be looking forward to your decoder guide on the tamper.

Edited by bc6