Hokoku in 1/80th scale.

marknewton

Inspired by Railsquid's thread, I spent an hour or so the other night mucking around with stock, track and buildings to determine whether I could do justice to Hokoku on a portable layout frame I've had sitting in my shed for far too long. It's 500mm by 2730mm. By happy coincidence my kitchen bench is the same width. And after a bit of fiddling and a few beers I decided I could:

post-22-0-26088600-1468683948_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-61226700-1468683981_thumb.jpg

The triangular thing shows the profile of the hill that will form the background. The track and platform will be raised up on a 2" high embankment. The station building and other structures will be at nominal ground level.

So having mocked this up, I then made a scale drawing to show where everything will go:

post-22-0-77022300-1468684286_thumb.jpg

I'm off to see my plywood supplier on Monday.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

2.73M long is portable?

Oddly enough, it is. The frame is made of aluminium channel, topped with 12mm birch ply. In its previous incarnation as a US prototype exhibition layout, two of us could easily pick it up and move it around. And that was with scenery made of plaster.

This time around I'll be using extruded foam scenery, no plaster, so I expect it will be even lighter. The backscene will be extruded PVC sheet, which is also very lightweight.

Cheers,

Mark.