Ichibata Electric Railway to introduce first original railcar in 83 years

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

The new rolling stock, to be called the deha 7000 series, will be introduced within the year. Two rail cars will be produced, a design based on the JR Shikoku 7000 series, but assembled by local railcar maintenance firm Gotou Industries, with a special wrapping/livery scheme. This order of new rail cars is the first in 83 years, the previous being the famous dehani 50 railcar.

http://www.ichibata.co.jp/railway/topics/2016/07/post-352.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the railcar production run could be larger than just two cars. Except for a few used railcars delivered in recent years, most of their fleet is starting to age and in need of replacement. I wouldn't surprised if they assemble as many as 5-6 of these new railcars.

Oh nice! I guess they had some spare cash laying around after all that purchasing of 1000 Series Tōkyū stock  :)

Not bad going for a railway I was told to go for a ride on back in 1994 because they were on the brink of shutting down.

I'm looking forward to it, but I don't know about that artist's rendering.  Take a JR Shikoku 7000, 'shop out the blue band, paste some JRW 225 headlights.. yeah that'll do :grin.

This JR Shikoku type is a little old now, the earliest ones are from 1990.  It might have been nice to see an electric version of the 1500 series DMU.  I wonder what motivated the decision to have them delivered as kits to be assembled nearby.  Is it that much cheaper?  Ah well, best of luck to Bataden.

bikkuri bahn

Likely it's the cheapest option, other than buying more used stock.  It's only for 2 railcars (tiny order), so likely none of the big builders were interested in fulfilling it.  So, it's order some bodyshell components from Kinki Sharyo, weld them together in Tottori, and then add the various electrical bits, running gear components, and interior appointments from the dozens of manufacturers who make railway equipment.  Gotou Industries does heavy maintenance/overhaul contract work for JR West, so they have the expertise to do it.

I imagine those are tail lights, but I like the "eyeshadow" above the headlamps... gives them a rather cute "face".

I expected them to have all stainless steel bodies, but Ichibata understands that is not the way to go! Not a fan of the 'angry' headlights, as it's not reflecting the local character of the line, but to each his/her own. The orange striping is a nice variation on the all orange ex-Tokyu 1000s.

• Like 1

I expected them to have all stainless steel bodies, but Ichibata understands that is not the way to go! Not a fan of the 'angry' headlights, as it's not reflecting the local character of the line, but to each his/her own. The orange striping is a nice variation on the all orange ex-Tokyu 1000s.

Perception is an interesting thing. Now that you've said "angry headlights", I see it, but the first thing I saw was "eye makeup".