Z Scale Fish Tank Layout

gerryo

post-2768-0-77766200-1470099066_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-20146400-1470099094_thumb.jpg

The first pic is in the tank.  Too much light outside the window, so moved out of the tank and applied some track. 

I found that my track plan is too large by one 55mm on each side on each track.  And I am in need of 2 right strt. turns and 1 each of left and right curved turns.  This is getting expensive for a play tank.

Gerry

• Like 1

Not to mention the track in the front is too close to the edge as the nose of the shinkansen doesn't have enough space. Generally at least the same amount of space must be reserved on the outside as the half of what is available between two tracks. For tight radiuses that might have to be increased if the rolling stock has too much inner or outer overhang.

I would have to agree that you are right, kvp.  The only thing is, that there is not much that I can do about it.

There are possible solutions to save the tank layout.  One solution is to scale back to just one track.  This sure defeats one of the reasons for using the tank to begin with.  It also means that the shinkansen would be running on its smallest track, with fewer turnouts, no curved turns, more space for decorating, and less expense.  The corner tank was one attraction, not to mention that the tank is in my possession and therefore CHEAP.

Another would be to purchase a larger tank, but this adds back all the track expense, and new tank added on.

Obviously the fastest and cheapest way is to scale back to one track.  That's where I started a few weeks ago.

Gerry

Or rotate the tracks until the straight section is parallel with the line drawn between the two outer corners. That would center the loop in the tank, but make the outer turnout impossible to add. The inner loop and the two inside storage tracks would be usable though. If you remove the curved turnouts too (as they are not strictly needed for two train operation), you'll end up with a simple oval for the shinkansen and an inner oval with two stub tracks for the other train. It would look pretty much like the Ou mainline at Yamagata castle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cu_Main_Line

Edited by kvp

post-2768-0-67235300-1470180100_thumb.jpg

I am removing one track from the layout.  One single loop will fit very nicely, and I can get on with the rest of it, if the pieces would only come in the post.

It will still give me 3 stub tracks to park on.  It is not the stubs that are causing the problem but it is the outer loop.  Any other time that I ran out of space when building a layout, I just made it bigger.  But you can't do that with a glass tank.  They make funny noises when you try to stretch them.

If it was any other train but the shinkansen, I could probably make do but I'm already compromising it by not having more length.  And there are NO Z scale trams - YET.

Gerry

Gerry,

At the risk of upsetting the apple cart, maybe think of ditching the tank? I know its a cute idea, but it sounds like its really limiting what you can do and with just a tad more room you could expand enough to have the room for the two tracks, maybe a platform/station and such. as you get it sceniced as well and trains on the track its going to get harder and harder to work on things as well in the tank or pull it all out (or does the tank sit over the layout?) Are the sidings long enough for the 3 car 500?

Also things behind glass always loose something. In this case there is the first blush novelty of the train in the fish tank, but may wear thin. I do museum exhibits and we always try to do everything we can to keep things from behind glass or minimize it as much as possible as it always takes away from the display.

Lots of money and time will go into this and just make sure its going to be enjoyable in the long run! Neat challenge, but whats most important to you in the long run i guess is the question.

cheers

jeff

Seems like you've hit the nail on the head, Jeff.  We've been blaming the outer track when the problem is really the tank.  Although this seems like the cowards way out, it would be easier to PLAY on a 4' X 2' layout.  And I just happen to have saved a 2x4 module frame for just such an occasion.

So there goes the tank and this build program.

Gerry

Sorry to come at it with the hammer! Just felt like the challenge of the tank was taking over and not sure if that enjoyment would last much past getting it into the tank. You can probably get it pretty small if needed, even in a corner but if you have a bit more room you can have a more interesting and forgiving track plan. Might look to see if there are any clear plastic box covers that may be a better size/shape to pop over it as a display box and dust cover but be easily removable to play with.

Jeff