National N-Scale Convention - Kansas City

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Yesterday was the start of the 2016 N-Scale Convention put on by the N-Scale Enthusiast (formerly N-Scale Collector).  Day one was simply registration followed by a Welcome Reception in the evening.  This will be my first show so I don't fully know what to expect.

I was surprised by how many people I was meeting who were strictly collectors.  I overheard a lengthy debate over some old Kadee car and how even though it was all original.. original jewel case, insert and unmodified car.. that it was considered worthless because it lacked the original MicroTrains price sticker..

I'm not knocking these hardcore collectors.. to each their own.. unfortunately the collector mentality made it rather painful at the sale tables.  Greenmax buses for $60 a piece, Kato DF200 for $145, Kato E5 (4 car add-on) for $150.. yikes yikes yikes.. tomorrow is the big swap meet.. hopefully I can find something there that isn't overpriced.

Is anyone from the JNS Forum is at this convention?  Would love to meet up and have a drink.

I have found similar pricing in Australia from older gentlemen that don't order online from Japanese retail sellers.  They have used either ebay or a brick and mortar store to buy their items.  So when they choose to sell them, they want 50-100% more than I am willing to pay, as they have brought if for 50%-100% more than what I could get it for new.

I pay 5500-6500 JPY or $90-100 AUD for a bo-bo-bo style new electric loco.  They've brought it for $150ish and want $100-$120 for it.

I'm pretty sure this process happens all over the world in a similar fashion.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Krackel,

Yep you entered the collector zone! You have to be one to understand the mentality I think. The Japanese stuff gets picked up into the sales loop appearing odd and rare to the us collectors not realizing it can be had cheap directly from Japan! Internet seems to be helping folks price things closer over the last decade.

Enjoy the show!

Jeff

The usual is when i see a used train at a swap meet, i check the prices on the net. When the new price is lower or it's available off ebay for a fraction of the price i just leave it, but usually tell the seller the prices from the net and usually they don't belive it. Still many of these sellers keep coming back and i've seen quite a few of them selling exactly zero items over a year, yet still coming back (and paying for the table) every time. Imho the more realistic ones are those who also sell online. (sometimes they have to cancel a running fixed price auction on the fly before you can buy it offline)

Anyway, we are looking forward for the photos!

nscalestation

I try to get to these conventions when they are close enough to me.  This organization puts on a great convention that's big enough to have lots of things going on but still small enough to be a rather close knit community.  One of the big events is the live auction.  Each convention attendee is allowed to put up to 2 items in the auction.  I don't bid on anything myself but enjoy sitting in the back of the room watching the proceedings.   You do see some interesting items and also some interesting bidding going on.

I'm not knocking these hardcore collectors.. to each their own.. unfortunately the collector mentality made it rather painful at the sale tables.  Greenmax buses for $60 a piece, Kato DF200 for $145, Kato E5 (4 car add-on) for $150.. yikes yikes yikes.. tomorrow is the big swap meet.. hopefully I can find something there that isn't overpriced.

What's worse is when you look at something they claim is 'mint and never ran'...only to find decades of accumulation of grime on the wheels. Also a lot of them price off the highest price they can find on Ebay and claim that by cutting that in half they're giving you a deal. A $100 Kato DE-10 is not a deal.