Swiss InterCity overtaking InterRegio

Densha

An SBB RABDe 500 on InterCity service ICN882 to Zürich HB overtaking InterRegio IR2332 (Locarno to Basel SBB) on the parallel track. Surely something you won't see everyday on any railway, or is this common on Swiss railways? This video is also a great way to take a close look at the tilting mechanism of the RABDe 500 in practice.

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

Note how eventually the Interregio in turn overtakes the ICN :icon_smile:

Anyway, this is also done in Taiwan. Video by the same individual as above, must like these techniques...

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Common practise on the double track lines in Sweden. The X 2000 trains pass the local trains/slower long distance trains/freight trains running in the same direction. Sometimes even planned in the timetable, but normally an ad-hoc decision by the dispatcher in order to get the best traffic flow.

nice video

being a user of this line ( specially on the InterRegio to avoid like the pest the Italian ETR) i can assume that the IR had delay and they let the ICN pass by.

The station where they stop is Arth-Goldau where the line split. The ICN is going to Zurich and IR to Basel. 

Normally the IR arrive there 2 minutes in advance to the ICN.

In Arth-goldau passanger can switch train.

Like if you got on the IR at a secondary station and want to go to Zurich, or you are in the ICN (which stop only on main stations) want to go to Basel.

Overtaking are mostly common with freight, but sometime also passengers does. Here is easy being the line splitting and train then going different directions.

bikkuri bahn

I recall the passenger line to Zurich between Arth Goldau and Zug is single, so a bottleneck.  I was taking a stopping train to Zug, in order to catch a IR (or was it an IC?) there (this was when a service disruption was in process).  I was quite nervous about whether I could make the connection, and was anxious whenever the local pulled into a station to let a faster train pass, praying it wouldn't make my train even more late and make me miss my connection (after fetching my bags from the lockers, which are just outside the station...)

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Note how eventually the Interregio in turn overtakes the ICN :icon_smile:

I think that is because the maintenance works at the station prevent the InterRegio from using the platform to the left. In normal circumstances the InterRegio wouldn't need to make use of the turnout and the short stretch of track that was actually on the route of the ICN. The only problem is that would also mean losing the cross-platform transfer. Adding a turnout at 4:34 so that both trains can arrive at the same platform is also a possibility. But considering that the InterRegio was just delayed according to Alemino, maybe this is all exaggerating things.