Very short visit to Japan

tridentalx

Hi all,

On the back of a trip to China this Summer I have added a very short visit to Japan. I've been to Tokyo twice so reasonably familiar with travelling around. A couple of questions below if anybody can advise.

Landing in Osaka I get to Kyoto about lunchtime and spend that afternoon and next morning having a wander round temples etc. As I don't have that much time I wasn't planning on any train model shopping here.

Are there any must visit model shops in Kyoto (I saw a report on the Kato shop at Kyoto station so may have a look at this)

In the afternoon I plan to take a Shinkansen to Tokyo as I had not managed to take a long Shinkansen trip on my last visits.

Reading here I am assuming I don't need to book in advance?

I have an evening and a whole day in Tokyo then I leave for Haneda around 8AM the following day. My plan is to spend part of the day looking round the various model shops in Akihabara to pick up some scenic stuff, spares and some second hand trams and trains. If I buy too much then I will need to box it up and post it back (i.e. ask the shop for a box then take it to the post office).

I have checked the locations of main post offices where I am staying (Hamanatsucho). Any problems with this approach?

Is there any must see (i.e. good prices or fantastic range) model shop further away from Akihabara?

As well as all the above I'll hang round a couple of main stations and take some pics.  I have spent time at Tokyo station, around the Yamanote line and at Ueno last trips but often found the sight lines aren't great.

Any recommendations for a great location to get good shots and see a range of different trains.

And one more general question:

Does a list of all the train models issued in recent years exist for example in Excel form or a database somewhere? There doesn't seem to be any way of getting this from Kato's site for example.

I know its a lot to do but I'm travelling solo and can sleep on the plane home to maximise the time available.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by tridentalx

If you're going to be in Kyoto, the new museum is there.  They have a deck where you have a clear view of both the Tokaido main line and shinkansen.

In the afternoon I plan to take a Shinkansen to Tokyo as I had not managed to take a long Shinkansen trip on my last visits.

Reading here I am assuming I don't need to book in advance?

You don't need to buy the ticket in advance, but you do need to reserve a seat if travelling on the Nozomi. Unless you can be sure the train won't be crowded, I'd recommend reserving a seat on a Hikari service too if you want to sit by a window.

I have an evening and a whole day in Tokyo then I leave for Haneda around 8AM the following day. My plan is to spend part of the day looking round the various model shops in Akihabara to pick up some scenic stuff, spares and some second hand trams and trains. If I buy too much then I will need to box it up and post it back (i.e. ask the shop for a box then take it to the post office).

I have checked the locations of main post offices where I am staying (Hamanatsucho). Any problems with this approach?

Sounds reasonable, but don't bet on being able to get a cardboard box from shops. Post offices do sell boxes ("Yuu-pack").

Is there any must see (i.e. good prices or fantastic range) model shop further away from Akihabara?

Not really.

In Akihabara, for 2nd hand trains the 3 Hobbyland Pochi shops will be your best bet. Poppondetta has a decent selection of Kato/Tomix spares. For scenic stuff, Tamtam, Volks and/or Yodobashi. Anything specific you're looking for?

As well as all the above I'll hang round a couple of main stations and take some pics.  I have spent time at Tokyo station, around the Yamanote line and at Ueno last trips but often found the sight lines aren't great.

Any recommendations for a great location to get good shots and see a range of different trains.

I don't do much photography so not the best person to ask, but this bridge at Nippori Station has a good view over multiple lines. The new bus terminus at the south end of Shinjuku Station has some good vantage points for watching the JR lines

Reserving a seat is only 700-800 yen extra. Do it.

I would think about the Nakano Boardway Mandarake store for good second hand train models.

Thanks for your replies. 

railsquid

Popondetta and Tamtam I went to last time so I can find them for sure. Will get the maps for the others, thanks. Nothing particular on the list. Last time it was Enoden and Hakon-Tozan units but I think I have enough of them now. Maybe an Odakyu Romance car set.

The view from Nippori bridge looks good. Will give that a try.

Will remember Yuu-pack ! Will be one of the few Japanese words I have  :)

katoftw - thanks for that suggestion on the shop. Not sure which train I will make it onto yet but will try and firm up plans.

Miyakoji - I have the details of the museum. I don't think I will have enough time to do this though unless I get bored with temples (I know temples vs trains should be no contest)

The Tokyo Station lines and the station itself are often photographed from the vantage point of the roof garden of the KITTE building. You might want to check it out, shinkansen and commuter rail. It's the best spot and it's free.

As railsquid recommended for JR Shinjuku Station, go to the newly remodeled area past the New South Exit gates. It doesn't get much better than that.

The iconic Harajuku station building apparently won't be around for much longer. It's getting too small for the crowds and a new station will be built soon. You might want to pay it a visit or you might never see it again.

I would think about the Nakano Boardway Mandarake store for good second hand train models.

katoftw - thanks for that suggestion on the shop. Not sure which train I will make it onto yet but will try and firm up plans.

The Nakano Mandarake store is very small and pokey, and hard to find unless you know where it is (actually even if you know where it is, I still have trouble finding it). Some bargains but due to the pokeyness often hard to find stuff. If you're pressed for time, it's not really worth the hassle of going all the way over to Nakano.

bikkuri bahn

Other places to watch and possibly photograph trains:

Tamachi Station:

Hikifune Station, just down one station from the Sky Tree station:

tridentalx

Thanks for the further follow up posts especially on vantage points. I now have 3 or 4 to check out. I think that will be plenty.

Paul