Why Layouts are Never Done

Bernard

Okay I've basically finished my layout and really happy with the results.....then my friend Dave sees it and says, "Hey I've got some Kato double Viaduct track I'm not using, do you want them?"  You respond, "Oh Boy do I!!" He gives you the track and it's now sitting on your workbench.

Weeks go by and you say to yourself, "Hey you can't let those pieces of track just sit there for eternity, you HAVE to use them!".....so the next thing you know your trying to plan where you can use them on your layout, but there is basically no room left to build upon....Wait! Here's a solution, why don't you build an extension onto your layout?! Sounds like a sane idea (sane and Model RRing, those two words don't fit together :) .....You go to the lumber yard and get JUST a small piece of plywood.....but wait, you need foam board, but JUST a small piece.....and maybe a couple of 2x4s for support, but just small pieces.

Great now you're ready to use those pieces of Kato track! But wouldn't the extension look better if I added more track to it? Of Course if would!! 

All of a sudden you stop and think......is Dave really my friend? Look at what those few pieces of Kato track have created. Of course he's my friend he's letting me send more money on a hobby I love. (BTW my wife has banned Dave from going into our basement where the layout is.) :)

Oh....and that's one reason layouts and never done.

• Like 8

Ha Bernard, David has little horns on top of his head! He may also own a local Kato dealership and was missing your sales, so like a good pusher he gives you some "extra" track! You're toast!

I think Paul has just about filled his shed now with extensions!

Make sure to leave room for one hole to pop your head up in to run trains!

Jeff

You see.  I'm not the only one !!!

By the way, I'm planning a large extension to my bus and tram layout, already.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

You know you're in trouble when the guys at Home Depot (lumber store) know you by your first name. "Hey Bernard, we're having our 4th of July sale on Dremel products in aisle 6. You don't want to miss out on this sale!!" (Really?! That's not what my credit card says otherwise!)

I should have explained why Dave gave me the track. Dave lives in NYC with his wife in a small apartment (typical of NYC) He loves trains and bought the Kato Viaduct set and set it up on the floor in the apartment. After a week of constantly stepping over it in order to get to his bathroom, it had to go (the Viaduct set not the bathroom :) )

With a lot of reorganization I was able to get in onto my layout....(Holly Molely, it took a lot of time!! Especially the grade elevation) I'll try and post some photos.

One reason I wanted to do this is my layout is DCC but I have other trains I couldn't convert so I want a track dedicated to DC.

• Like 1

Well I have a few photos to share about the new area in my layout where I added the double viaduct set. I forgot to take photos as I was building it.

post-21-0-40226100-1467561497_thumb.jpgpost-21-0-96635700-1467561678_thumb.jpgpost-21-0-89284300-1467561721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bernard
  • Like 2
Spaceman Spiff

Looks great Bernard. Other than the odd detail here and there my layout is done. I maxed out the space I have. After 5 years it seems weird not spending hours on it.

Spiff

More lines! That means you need more trains now! Great you found the ROW! Luckily you have complete eminent domain!

Jeff

Jeff - except for the squirrel that came to visit the basement, (both our cats cornered it and set it free.....OUTSIDE) yes I have complete domain :)

SQUIRREL! You trained the cats well, but the cats actually have the final say on eminent domain, they are in control but have you brainwashed that you are!

Hey the old April fools joke with the chipmunks and the Akitas and the JRM layout was not so far fetched! At least the cats didn't chase the squirrel across the layout and into a tunnel and decide to dig it out!

Glad to see you back at the layout!

Jeff