Kato EVA Shinkansen pre-orders

Kato charged my card yesterday(2/8) for the remaining balance. 

Since Kato wrote that they would charge my card when my train shipped, I expect to see it any day now.

• Like 2

Kato charged my card yesterday(2/8) for the remaining balance. 

Since Kato wrote that they would charge my card when my train shipped, I expect to see it any day now.

Mine too. :) Can't wait.

I got a shipping confirmation yesterday. Mine is on the way now. Can't wait to get it. Even though the original 500 model is old, I actually like the old couplers. And my original 500 is the most reliable and smooth train I have. Attached decals is a bit too bad instead of it being printed... but that Tomix pantograph though... I prefer the KATO version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got a shipping confirmation yesterday. Mine is on the way now. Can't wait to get it. Even though the original 500 model is old, I actually like the old couplers. And my original 500 is the most reliable and smooth train I have. Attached decals is a bit too bad instead of it being printed... but that Tomix pantograph though... I prefer the KATO version.

Same here. My train is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

What about the Tomix one?

The Pantograph assembly on the TOMIX 500 model version (on pictures at least, I don't own a TOMIX 500, but looking at pictures it looks very different) looks a lot more straight and edgy than the more rounded (and prototypical) pantograph assembly on the KATO model and real life.

Sure, the KATO model isn't perfect, like the windows on one of the cars (which is correct on the TOMIX model) but the pantograph is assembly is so obvious and visible.

Edited by Yavianice

I've owned both a Kato and Tomix 500 shinkansen.  Cannot say I noticed a huge difference in the pantographs.  Unless you are refering to one of the 90s, early 00s models which are not what they are producing now.

Edited by katoftw

The Pantograph assembly on the TOMIX 500 model version (on pictures at least, I don't own a TOMIX 500, but looking at pictures it looks very different) looks a lot more straight and edgy than the more rounded (and prototypical) pantograph assembly on the KATO model and real life.

Sure, the KATO model isn't perfect, like the windows on one of the cars (which is correct on the TOMIX model) but the pantograph is assembly is so obvious and visible.

Wow, I see what you mean now. The Kato model still has the more streamlined pantograph "pods"(?) and wing-type WPS204 pantographs from the original 16-car trains. So Kato didn't even bother changing those. Being an 8-car 500-7000 series the model should have WPS208 single-arm pantographs in more square pods.

If there's an option I usually prefer the Kato model but this one doesn't feel right. Just a sloppy job for quick cash...

The only thing it has going for it are the way nicer diaphragm couplers.

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

I've owned both a Kato and Tomix 500 shinkansen. Cannot say I noticed a huge difference in the pantographs. Unless you are refering to one of the 90s, early 00s models which are not what they are producing now.

Look carefully, there is a difference. But Suica is right, apparently the more square one is the appropriate pod for 8 sets. As far as I know, KATO does not produce 8 set 500 Shinkansen sets, only the 16 sets with rounded pods. Funny, I find the square pods quite... ugly. So I will not mind the (apparently) non-prototypical pods. I will see when I get the delivery. Edited by Yavianice

Wow the Kato version is so prototypically incorrect. Wrong pantograph, no overhead volts sensor, no 40th Sanyo anniversary signage.

The EVA 500 has not always had the 40th Sanyo anniversary signage. So it's just the pantograph+pod, sensor, and window configuration. But that's to be expected with KATO Hobbycenter products, as they are always redressed versions of the existing products. Like the Toreiyu shinkansen, which is not prototypical either (but still looks cool)

Edited by Yavianice

I own and love the tomix eva, but gotta say the packaging on the Kato one is superior! Love that box art. Even the black foam insert looks cooler.

• Like 1

Holy crap! My only other Shinkansens are the E5 and E6. I've gotten used to thinking "Shinkansen = EM13/FL12 drop in". Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Anyone know of a step by step guide to a Type 500 decoder installation (cabs and motor)? Preferably with pictures.

What decoders work best for the conversion? I already have the EM/FL as I was expecting a drop in. But I can use different decoders if they are more suitable. I can use these decoders on future Shinkansens.

Edit: Nevermind. I found some good'uns.

Edited by gavino200

Last year I bought the Tomix 500 set along with the add-on set. For roughly $150, shipping about $30, too. Went to Wal-Mart and bought a can of purple paint... Like the main color on all the cars.

Of course, I tore them all down & putty up all the windows, that required covering. So as to make it look like the EVA.

Hence, if your squeezed for cash and just can't see yourself forking over $350+ for essentially a great paint job. Just do what I did. And when it derails and falls off the table. Well, you'll just sleep better at night... Knowing for another $150, you can get started on painting up another one, so as to have a fleet.

Hmmm. Wonder, if Kato is going to sell their decal ?

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 1

If you saw how great it looked. You too would have to wonder how much the labor cost for the real thing must of costed. All that masking tape or is it just vinyl cut from a plotter... So as to be easily removed for the next color scheme.

Just posted the photo's to the last post last night...

Also, train set was Kato and not Tomix.

That's awesome! I thought you were joking. :)