Tomytec Bus & Tram Layout Build

gerryo

Yes I do Rich.  I already have that set of roadway, and will try to figure a way to use it in here.  On my previous design I had also used the Matsumoto Castle.  Now I'm not sure about it. 

Gerry

I have included the second tram track on this plan.  Is it now too crowded, and should it be deleted?

My thoughts for the layout is to have both buses and trams along with a road for cars, lots of buildings and people.

I personally think that the second tram track is too much on a 600 mm wide layout.

Gerry

Gerry,

Think you forgot to attach the plan, were you referring to a new one?

Since you have some of the bus and tram track try mocking a patch of the straight up on a folding table with some buildings to see what you can fit it and where roads and buildings will go. Yes 60cm is pretty shallow and could get eaten up fast. Where are the roads going in relation to the tram and bus lines and where are the buildings going. Only a couple of strips of 5-6" wide for roads and building there in your first plan.

Jeff

post-2768-0-08276500-1483912547_thumb.jpg

Yes Jeff, I forgot to include the plan.  Thanx for the reminder.  Sorry about that.

The plan is there now.  And there is even less width now with two tracks.  I always have problems with where roads will go on a model train layout.

Gerry

Gerry,

Can you mock parts of this up on the table top, like one end 3-4' and just try figuring roads with some strips of paper and plop down the building you have and see how it might all orient with the tram and bus lane. You may want to move the bus to along the tram line as a dedicated transit corridor to open up a larger slot all the way across for auto roadway and strip of building. Maybe run the bus lane more out to the front and push the buildings back and then the back wall tram lines will be partially hidden and nice to have the trains disappear for a little bit like that now and then and you have the front areas of tracks where the trams our right out in front.

Planning software is great but can be hard to translate the more 3D and non rail bits like roads in well. What may look good in plan view can suck in 3D scene, so mocking thing up with some bits of track (don't have to do the track plan, just front and back tracks at right spacing and the. The 180 curve if you want to look at how the end may scene out with roads and buildings. Better to do this and play some before you finalize the track plan as its rough to lay your track and the realize the scene possibility just does not work well unless all you really want to focus on is the rail and bus going.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

post-2768-0-15963500-1484239316_thumb.jpg

I have had to make a few changes.  After trying some other things from the last plan, I have moved the castle to one end in a loop, deleted one tram track, made a complete bus loop which will have a few bus stops on it, and a station set on the tram loop which will serve both trams and buses.  Streets will be more random and will connect with the bus and tram loops.

There may be a new architect on this plan.  She needs a hobby.

Gerry

• Like 1

post-2768-0-82611000-1484355157_thumb.jpg

This is our final plan for our Bus & Tram layout.  The construction starts tomorrow.

If anyone has any suggestions please give them to us now.

The odd loop is meant to be roads for autos and trucks.  We will be using bus road for this as it is a decent width.

We will be using green cloth for the ground surface

Edited by gerryo

Wow, do you have all this track? Little space for buildings or other roads are left there. I would test a bit of it out in parts with what track and building you have along with some strips of paper to represent where you want other roads as well. before investing in a lot for more track.

Will be fun to see!

Jeff

post-2768-0-82575300-1484494715_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff.

After your last post here, I spent some time experimenting with track placement.  As per your suggestions, I have done some changes of the building orientation and the bus lane at the castle.  I realize the need for detail and I do appreciate your suggestions, but as this is the umpteenth time I have done this, I think, as Martijn Meerts says," IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE IT BUILT", so this is it.

My wife and I are planning and building this together, so any suggestions have to pass her critical eye as well.  Variations will be built in as we progress.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo