Coupling a Tomix and Kato Shinkansen together?

DJR

Has anyone had any luck coupling a Tomix and Kato Shinkansen set together? I thought  they would be Interchangeable until I tried it. Yet the couplers look very similar.

Don,

That is a really interesting question about converting couplers. I have a Kato and a Tomix 800 Shinkansen and to look at them you couldn't tell them apart, they are carbon copies except for the couplers. I wish I had them here so I could show you a photo of the difference between the two.

CaptOblivious

Has anyone had any luck coupling a Tomix and Kato Shinkansen set together? I thought  they would be Interchangeable until I tried it. Yet the couplers look very similar.

Do you mean coupling your E3 and E4 together? Looking at each coupler, and pocket, do you suppose there might be a way to install a Kato coupler in the nose of the Tomix train or vice-versa? I suspect that convincing the two different couplers to get along with each other is an impossible task otherwise...

Do you mean coupling your E3 and E4 together? Looking at each coupler, and pocket, do you suppose there might be a way to install a Kato coupler in the nose of the Tomix train or vice-versa? I suspect that convincing the two different couplers to get along with each other is an impossible task otherwise...

I was to couple a Kato E-2 with a Tomix 400. I Suppose it could be done, I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps using very thin brass wire to tie the two together then simply remove the wire when done.

Guest bill937ca

Tomix has developed what is called the TN coupler.  If I understand my machine translated Japanese Wikipedia page, this is an improved version of the Arnold coupler.  Tomix is licensing Green Max to use this coupler and Green Max receives OEM supplies of the TN coupler. Modemo also uses the TN coupler by license.

The Tomix page from ja.Wikipedia

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOMIX

TN couplers can be purchased as parts from dealers like Hobby Search.