Hikikomori

disturbman

disturbman

I was looking around the net to find some good (psychological) articles - in english - about hikikomoris but didn't find anything.  ???

Can someone help me or give me some directions?

Thanks.

edit: that's maybe because I forget a part of the word I was looking for...

The term "hikimori" and it's sister class "NEET" tend to be a Japanese only condition, though the best way to study Hikimori in detail would be to look up agoraphobia, as it is nearly identical. there are some minor social difference, but not really enough to make much of a difference.

Not "Hikimori" but "Hikikomori", I made a typo yesterday night while searching and that's what I found allmost nothing on the subject.

Hikikomori means "pulling away, being confined". The term refers to people, usually youg, that at one point can't stand anymore to go outside of their room. They stay inside, lock up, and read, watch videos, listen to music and use their computer all day long.

NEET refers exactly to the same syndrom but is a english acronyme: "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training".

@Aaron: I was thinking that it was more a type of depresion, which often leads to temporar agoraphobia, than just plain agoraphobia.

Not "Hikimori" but "Hikikomori", I made a typo yesterday night why searching and that's what I found allmost nothing on the subject.

Hikikomori means "pulling away, being confined". The term refers to people, usually youg, that at one point can't stand anymore to go outside of their room. They stay inside, lock up, and read, watch videos, listen to music and use their computer all day long.

NEET refers exactly to the same syndrom but is a english acronyme: "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training".

@Aaron: I was thinking that it was more a type of depression, which often leads to temporar agoraphobia, than just plain agoraphobia.

NEET and hikkimori are somewhat different. While some NEET may be hikkimori, NEET, hikkimori are not always NEETs. NEETs live this way by choice. NEETs also often times live at home with family, and refuse to work, but NEETs can also leave their home. NEETS will sometime tutor in coffee shops for trade of food or drinks, NEETS often can travel homeless for days at a time, and return.

NEET is an acronym for the government classification "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training". It was first used in the United Kingdom but its use has spread to other countries, including Japan, China and South Korea.

In the United Kingdom, the classification comprises people aged between 16 and 18 (some 16 year olds are still of compulsory school age). In Japan, the classification comprises people aged between 15 and 34 who are unemployed, unmarried, not enrolled in school or engaged in housework, and not seeking work or the technical training needed for work. The ‘NEET group’ is not a uniform set of individuals but consists of those who will be NEET for a short time while essentially testing out a variety of opportunities and those who have major and often multiple issues and are at long term risk of remaining disengaged.

NEETS are related to "freeters" which is what I am considered (Yes, I admit I'm a freeter") Freeters are often freelancers or consultants in which do not typically work as a full-time permenant employee or 40/hr week.

Mudkip Orange

I saw an indie flick earlier this year called TOKYO!, basically it was three short vignettes about 30 mins each. One was about hikikomori - interesting stuff.

Guest 鉄道オタク

This is amazing! I am torn.  I am both a fan of the best railway system on this planet (JR) and a part of this one topic here.

One of the few things I have done before I became hikikomori was watch out the front ends of various trains and metros.

But sadly, I have become hikikomori. I have to sacrifice that other for a while.  There has to be an understanding of just what this hikikomori situation really is.  I can certainly speak with authority as indeed I have been one for several years.  For one thing, I HATE it!  No human contact in which we as human animals were designed for, no sex, no love, very few friends -- if any. And in my case I have to put off watching out the front of  the various tetsudo here in Japan. I dearly miss doing that!

The trains here are second to none.  The education system here is not second to none.  It cranks out indoctrinated cyborgs for industry.  Sorry folks, but that is NOT true education!  Education is not mere rote memorisation but should encompass critical thinking, thus learning to become independent thinkers! That is where cognitive intelligence comes in.  Education MUST be interactive, sometimes I think the system as a whole is 'hikikomori'! (That in the sense that it has lost touch with humanity).

We don't become hikikomori by choice -- as some exotic lifestyle. No!  We are sort of forced into this through circunstances that are purely human. This includes stress (excessive amounts) derision, frustration, disilusionment, rejection, ridiculed and judged as well.  We humans can take only so much. The 'fight or flight' response takes over as instinct.  Thus the 'fight' hence becoming involved in criminal activity.  Then the 'flight' hence either suicide or going hikikomori.

Really folks!  NOBODY relishes simply whiling their life away sitting couped up in a small room!  It's not healthy. It's downright demeaning.  Boring.  But we do it for protection!  For security against the oppression and inhumanity that goes on outdoors.  We snap!  When we get pushed too far the mind snaps.  For protection we hide.  This why as cruel it may seem we hide from our friends lovers and parents and relatives. It's heartbreaking, I know. I have fallen in love with one of us.  But because of the isolation, it is difficult to be together with him.  Him, you mean her don't you?  No!  That was no typo!  I am gay.  Our gay brothers and sisters who are also hikikomori really must be having a real hard time of it.  The added culture pressure of having to get married and produce children.  Some of us don't want to do this!  I only want that beautiful man I have seen on YouTube and Wiki. But like me, and a thousands of other people who are members of the LGBT community who are also hiki, that is now extremely difficult.

I want my freedom! Not only out of this house, but free from the constraints of social pressure!  That is what most of us really want -- FREEDOM!  Independence!  Happiness!

Thank you!

Edited by 鉄道オタク
Guest ___

IDK about Hikikimori as an LS choice, I know when bp laid me off and shut down the ant where I was a tech writer before going to the Washington Post, I was a professional NEET. I can say that cause I was on unemployment. It got old real fast. I could see myself becoming a hikikimori solely for the reason of being a misanthrope. I'd rather spend the rest of my life away from people but sadly that doesn't pay for trips abroad. As the old saying goes, "I hate people, but to party"

• Like 1