What did you order or the post deliver? (Other hobbies)

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Nice 80s flashback. But why the japanese editions of English language material? 

It's a combination of factors: in Chile not always I find the cds that I want online or in stores, shipping costs in Amazon Japan are not very expensive for Chile and DHL is the only designated carrier but there are differences between japanese and western editions too:

Japanese editions have booklets with japanese and english lyrics, even in compilations, western editions of compilations doesn't have song lyrics. In some albums or compilations there are bonus tracks exclusively for japanese market, in this case Debbie Gibson CD have bonus tracks and the other cds were impossible to find in my country and the other Amazon websites are not a option for now (very expensive shipping costs because of Coronavirus) 

And Queen CD is a special edition with the most voted songs by japanese fans (12 songs made the way in this cd) 

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Nice 80s flashback. But why the japanese editions of English language material? 

I don't remember the details (and I am not the OP) but back when I first went to Japan in 2000, I was told that Japanese CDs are mastered better at higher quality.  Don't know what any of that means/meant but that is what I was told by some audiophiles back then who wanted me to check on some things when I was there.  Don't know the truth of it.

And i really couldnt resist this... Not when it is heavily discounted even though it is used.... 

20200610_191946.thumb.jpg.52daf711f02ffcf8ff51834f940c9f1b.jpg

20200610_191958.thumb.jpg.1cb114c3f9bd2ec0104c5e46589acd74.jpg

20200610_192032.thumb.jpg.23cc1f55662b7bab211479de941ed0cc.jpg

20200610_192123.thumb.jpg.2304061d6b804efd8f5f1118dbf9b121.jpg

20200610_192519.thumb.jpg.86e0ae7d81551fe093bed7d042d4486b.jpg

For those that might not be familar, this is the Space Battleship Yamato, or rather known as Star Blazers in some countries... This is the Soul of Chugokin GX-86 Space Battleship Yamato 2022 version, it's really fun! Here's a video of its functions (not made by me, credits to original video owner Toy Today)

No doubt i have so much fun playing with it after watching the anime and it looks great as a display piece! Time to get a nice acrylic case for it! 

• Like 6

Oh man too cool! Wireless remote control with rotating turrets and sound! Awesome sauce!

no I will have to get out my bandai Yamamoto that came in 8 sections you assemble! Not lights and sounds but it has a ton of small detail bits and interiors.

jeff

Ding ding ding! Caught a great buy it now deal on some complete capsule plarail trains on ebay and the seller had free FedEx shipping to boot! Also a ton of track and a few buildings (mostly Thomas I think) and a few Thomas engines and the helicopter.

I need to get all my capsule trains out and organized and figure out a box system for them, it’s getting to be a big collection and need to play with them some!

cheers

jeff

5D19497D-AB3A-4E47-AB45-F3464D30F6F7.jpeg

B0CD5ED8-ABE5-4004-B85B-772AC51411C5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Our Star Blazers..."  (sung as part of the chorus of the older version of the TV show when I was younger).

Sammy.  That is awesome.  In the US it was "Star Blazers" and I watched it a ton in JHS and HS.   At first I did not realize it was a Japanese thing but later was clued in as we progressed in our watching.  This is before "anime" became a thing so most of us were just ignorant.

We went to Kure a few trips ago on a day trip, and went to the Yamato museum (Kure Maritime Museum) and at the time they had a Space Battleship Yamato display outside in front and had those standing things you put your face in for picture taking and my kids were excited to put their faces in and take the pics.

(The museum itself was interesting and way cool for the actual Yamato and related Kure port history and displays and the JSDF maritime base nearyby with a large outdoor submarine display).

Star blazers was also big for me in jr high when it hit the us. Luckily we had a great independent tv station in the sf Bay Area that crammed the late afternoon full of Japanese shows, so growing up from small we ultraman, marine boy, speed racer, Kimba the white lion, astro boy, etc on all the time! 

I was sent a little plastic spaceship Yamamoto static model from japan by a ship captain friend of my father who was import in japan and had seen me watching the Japanese shows the last time he had visited us. I use to get all sorts of odd and wonderful little gifts from all over the world from all the old ship captain friends of dad that would come thru every month or two.

jeff

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I need to get all my capsule trains out and organized and figure out a box system for them, it’s getting to be a big collection and need to play with them some!

Those look mighty fun, Jeff! It even includes the rare 200 series in yellow and green! haha, have fun running them!

8 hours ago, chadbag said:

"Our Star Blazers..."  (sung as part of the chorus of the older version of the TV show when I was younger).

I love the song... It keeps ringing in my head... it seems that the actual Navy soldiers are also very much into it! 

8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Star blazers was also big for me in jr high when it hit the us. Luckily we had a great independent tv station in the sf Bay Area that crammed the late afternoon full of Japanese shows, so growing up from small we ultraman, marine boy, speed racer, Kimba the white lion, astro boy, etc on all the time! 

I was sent a little plastic spaceship Yamamoto static model from japan by a ship captain friend of my father who was import in japan and had seen me watching the Japanese shows the last time he had visited us. I use to get all sorts of odd and wonderful little gifts from all over the world from all the old ship captain friends of dad that would come thru every month or two.

jeff

I didnt know about the space battleship Yamato until recently when i started playing Super Robot wars during my free time and loved how the battleship looked~ then the Chugokin model appealed to me so much that i believed everyone should have a model of a battleship on their desk!  🙂

• Like 1
Glad Pingvin

Not wholly other hobbies because I intend to make structures for my layout my 3d printer arrived yesterday. I'll start a new thread to show progress or lack thereof.

IMG_20200617_160533678_copy_780x1040.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

So about 20 years ago We did an exhibit on the 1915 Pan Pacific International Exposition (worlds fair) in San Francisco. I was steeped in all sorts of publications and ended up scanning about a thousand images of the Expo for the exhibit. But I never ran across this publication in the archives! Fun part railway guide, part tourism guidebook. Fun diagrams of the various car classes and such. Lucky find on ebay for a very good price! I have small collection now from the expo I’ve found over the years. Amazing what was done at the time for the expo.

cheers

jeff

5C3D7E1C-1F30-4E47-B81A-C6510D96C00F.jpeg

• Like 4

I read reports that shipments in biggest chilean stores (online) are delayed by weeks and even months, a complete disaster some times, Amazon USA shipments to my country are suffering heavy delays too but with Amazon Japan all is very fast (the most delayed shipping was 8 days from start to finish with pandemic and quarantine in my city included) Always I wanted some japanese magazines (and newspapers too) as souvenir in a hipotetical Japan trip but in this scenary I decided to buy two recent auto sport editions, a compilation of Bryan Adams (impossible to find in my country, japanese edition) and DVD cases because I needed some replacements. If someone knows about railway magazines in Japan I would like to check about that for future shipments.

IMG_20200708_161721b.thumb.jpg.1ab2f573646e54960d9acf19e7144db5.jpgIMG_20200708_161809b.thumb.jpg.60bd66c4dbba531ec06bb8afca14e012.jpg

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1

A long awaited boat from Hong Kong has arrived!  Kids Logic has been producing 1/285 resin Macross stompy robot models for gaming, and I've been buying ones to fill out units for BattleTech Alpha Strike games.  This batch was a pre-order placed in December, due for February shipping.  Civil unrest and then Covid really delayed production and shipping.  These got sent surface on 20 May, and just landed on the doorstep today.  Another pre-order in January for March was sent 10 June is out there somewhere.

I've been in the camp of customers lobbying Kids Logic to pick up the Dougram license too; those all featured heavily in early BattleTech too.

Also arrived, a much easier order from Hibiten, a Japanese company with worldwide manufacturing centers, including one in North Carolina.  Cheap and easy shipping, and now we have a lovely pair of Hiragana and Katakana mugs!
:3

Macross7Aug2020.jpeg

HibitenMugs.jpeg

• Like 3
On 8/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Cat said:

Kids Logic has been producing 1/285 resin Macross stompy robot models for gaming, and I've been buying ones to fill out units for BattleTech Alpha Strike games

So cool.  Warhammer, Archer, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp and not sure what the BattleTech names for the Phalanx and Armored Veritech were.  Please post a picture somewhere once you build and paint.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Cat said:

I've been in the camp of customers lobbying Kids Logic to pick up the Dougram license too; those all featured heavily in early BattleTech too.

Battlemaster and Thunderbolt.

3 minutes ago, D4789 said:

So cool.  Warhammer, Archer, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp and not sure what the BattleTech names for the Phalanx and Armored Veritech were.  Please post a picture somewhere once you build and paint.

Longbow and Crusader.  A trio of Riflemen is coming in the next shipment that set sail a month after this one did.

Other classic mechs from Fang of the Sun Dougram if Kids Logic ever makes them: Shadowhawk, Griffin, Wolverine, Goliath, and Scorpion.  I've got the old metal models of these, but will have to add some more units if new resins should appear.

Will certainly post pictures as the painting comes along.  These lovely new resin models are going to company and battalion officers, plus a few lances for types that I never owned the original Ral Partha metal castings.  Most of the battalions are pretty well along the way for painting and detailing.

BattleTech Alpha Strike is the fast-play version that the game could have used 25 years ago!  It's great for super quick lance v. lance games, and can handle company or battalion engagements in a reasonable afternoon game or convention slot.  These minis round out the last ones needed to complete 5 battalions, one for each house; plus a pair of mercenary companies.

Boat from Hong Kong just arrived with the last of my 1/285 Macross purchases, a trio of Defenders, aka Riflemen for BattleTech:

Macross21Aug2020.jpeg

My first shipment with Zenmarket arrived, was a new sensation (some discs are used but looks like new and I like the sound in Robbie's cd Life Thru a Lens, very clear and louder)

IMG_20200901_160603b.thumb.jpg.ad0d36c9231dcf48173618cf57c5d4d1.jpg

Somehow everytime I see picts of your new cd purchases it transports me back to the days when CDs were brand new stuff and the awe you would get opening a new one and popping it into the player and sitting back and listening to the whole thing...

thanks

jeff

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fpav_2125 said:

My first shipment with Zenmarket arrived, was a new sensation (some discs are used but looks like new and I like the sound in Robbie's cd Life Thru a Lens, very clear and louder)

Muy bacan!

• Like 1

A fun cd that came earlier this week. Very fun, punk rockers covering their favorite dr demento ditties! Kind of like hayseed ac/dc.

jeff

66855A51-E0BE-4A9C-8FCA-389146CF255A.jpeg

• Like 2