Hello from Guildford

TimWay4

Hello,

My Name is Tim and I live near Guildford, England. I've enjoyed looking at trains since i was young, I wasn't really able to have a train set when i was young due to lack of space and I wasn't trusted with one on my own. When I moved from the North East of England to Wales for university I decided that while i still didn't have space i'd start collecting trains again, I still had the Thomas ones i had gotten when i was younger so I decided to continue my collection ( i now have Thomas/Edward/Gordon/James/Percy/Toby/Duck/Donald/Diesel/Stepney as well as the tomix Thomas and James).

Now I've moved from Wales to Guildford and my Partner has allowed me to have a very basic layout in our bedroom (it helps that she likes trains too) and I added several British engines to my collection. Last year I was lucky enough to take my first trip over to Japan and while we stayed in Tokyo for a big part of it we also went traveling for 7 days, I got to ride several shinkansen as well as lots of trains I don't know the type of, as well as those I was able to travel on the Yamanote and Sobu lines (the apartment we stayed in allowed use a small view of the Sobu line from the window.

During the stay i picked up my first two Japanese engines, these were a E5 Shinkansen set from Nakano Broadway and a EF510-500 both of which were in HO gauge and both Kato in make. While we were on holiday there we decided we would be back again this year so i've been saving my money to go back and spend even more on trains to bring back to the UK.

I try to collect HO/OO as I have poor eyesight but i also have a range of N-gauge, I also have collected trains from UK and USA but i am now looking to move to a more Japanese collection after failing in love with their trains and country last year. 

Sorry for Wall o'Text

Tim

• Like 2
Themetropolitainline

I have not been on this site for long,But a big Welcome. You will find everybody is fairly friendly on here. So enjoy.

Welcome tim! You will find all the other crazies here who have gotten bit by the bug that got you! N scale is the big one in Japan,mbut as you have found there is some great HO equipment. There is a group of HO folks on the forum to help point you to mor if you go down that track, so to speak.

Dive in, piles of stuff here in the forum archives as well.

Cheers

Jeff

tridentalx

Welcome.

Hi Tim, welcome to the place where your wallet drains fast

That is definitely true. I can't explain why I have a TGV Lyria en route but it certainly drained the wallet.

Claude_Dreyfus

Ooh, another relatively local member on here! Also good to see some local H0 Japanese modelling potentially in the offing.

Welcome aboard.

Drunkenclam

Welcome Aboard
full01.gif

To a fellow Guildfordian

I have just been browsing E231 Yamanote line mod;es. Opps there goes the credit card :D