Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Not sure how exactly he hit on the idea, but the Squidlet realised he could, with a bit of imagination and some drawing utensils, extend the plarail line through the wall of the house, over the neighbouring field all the way to the horizon.

squidlet-backscene.jpg

• Like 10

Yes some of my friends that teach art to fine art students would agree, many refuse to hand draw comps for assignments! Their excuse, I can’t draw and it will look ugly, can’t I use the computer... I’m not kidding.

jeff

marknewton

Today was Harry's 15th birthday, and we celebrated with a trip to Thirlmere for a museum visit and some train rides, our first in more than a year. Our friend Simon was driving the 27 class, so Harry got an invite onto the footplate for the second trip. He really enjoyed that, and has decided to sign up for membership and start volunteering there. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Holy moley! 15! Yikes he has really grown up. Almost to turning dad upside down to shake the car keys out of him, next year.

glad the trains are still calling him, but girls may also soon as well…

jeff

• Haha 1
On 5/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, marknewton said:

Today was Harry's 15th birthday, and we celebrated with a trip to Thirlmere for a museum visit and some train rides, our first in more than a year. Our friend Simon was driving the 27 class, so Harry got an invite onto the footplate for the second trip. He really enjoyed that, and has decided to sign up for membership and start volunteering there. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Good on him Mark! Keep Harry interested, we need more young ones in our hobby! And if you ever get bored of your diet of Aussie trams, come hop the ditch and visit us at Ferrymead Heritage Park in Christchurch! I'm one of the tram drivers there myself.

Alastair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
kevsmiththai

The Cumbrian Coast rail line has been a bit boring recently but lately Northern Rail have started to run one of the new CAF 195 DMUs on the evening Barrow to Millom and return train. I've let Brooklyn use the EOS 700d to take his own pictures of the blast furnaces etc but he asked on Sunday if he could use it for the 195 ( Iwas videoing it)

I figured the best chance was to put it onto 'Continous' shooting and let him keep his finger on the shutter button to see waht he could do

large.1618117944_195128.jpg.520877ac15de09f78096fcb1df08cec7.jpg

He hasn't seen it yet but I think he will be proud of it

LSL are running vintage disesels down the Coast on Saturday and I'll let him have the EOS 450D to play with to see what he comes up with

Kev

• Like 1
On 5/31/2021 at 12:19 AM, ED75-775 said:

Good on him Mark! Keep Harry interested, we need more young ones in our hobby! And if you ever get bored of your diet of Aussie trams, come hop the ditch and visit us at Ferrymead Heritage Park in Christchurch! I'm one of the tram drivers there myself.

Ah, Ferrymead, home of the beautiful Kitson! Haven't been there for many years. Thanks for the invite, Alistair, I'll take you up on that. 👍

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
kevsmiththai

let Brooklyn loose with the 700D instead. Set on continous and told him to keep the train in the middle of the frame and his finger on the shutter button. His mom has put this picture all over facebook as she is so proud of what he did.

original wasn't quite level so I skewed it round a bit  in photoshop. Train is 1Z42 Appleby to Cardiff Central hauled by 47 593 and 46 614 seen at Dalton Junction

large.382216385_IMG_5184brooklyn.jpg.c2411c1b5960c18892996862a8f3d7f9.jpg

Kev

• Like 3

The Picnic Train is running shuttle trips between Wollongong and Scarborough this weekend. I'm working,  but Harry got an invite to join the crew. Lucky little sod! 😂

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6
kevsmiththai

i was having a sort through the loft the other day and found many of my old cameras tucked safely away and decided to get them out and list them. These are the ones I didn't sell so the Canon F1s, T90s and Mamiya RB67s are no longer here (sadly). Some of these film cameras date from my teenage years.

large.1730986413_Yesterdayscameras.jpg.56360a78a85c790edfb4f3359b224255.jpg

it made me think that perhaps Brooklyn ought to have his own to use and learn on  so I've let him have my old Canon EOS 450D. It stays at our house but when we go out that is the one he is going to learn on

large.1614108534_brookESO450.jpg.0ef86ac38db2e685decad9a1442a4f83.jpg

this was when we were exploring Lancaster castle last Sunday whilst his Mom and Grandma were shopping at Primarks. In fact we did the Castle and the Roman Bath House ruins and had an hour at the station and still beat them back to the car!

Getting the hang of it. One of the new TPE Civities 397 007 taken by Brooklyn

large.945299018_397007.jpg.c71fd5373316de65b90cb0908d04c47b.jpg

I'm still mainly using the EOS 5D and my EOS 700D as a back up but he knows I still have the 600D lurking and I'm waiting for the inevitable question

Can I ?

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
stupid emojis
  • Like 1

One of my fondest childhood memories was a family friend giving me a beat up old yashica 35mm rangefinder and a dozen rolls of self wound b/w 400 film. After I shot a couple of rolls we developed them in his darkroom and he taught me to print and I was off! It was wonderful! Taught me so much about photography and I looked so much closer to scenes to do the translation to b/w shooting than in color.

jeff

• Like 2
On 6/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, cteno4 said:

Mark,

not luck at all, the little chip is becoming a right good crewman and wanted!

You're not wrong Jeff, he's making me very proud. He was out again today with the 59 and the Picnic Train.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

We've done a few Cumbrian and Lancashire railways this year but the highlight for Brooklyn was driving a full size railway locomotive for the first time. The Eden valley railway is a very short line high in the hills and was part of the North Eastern railway's transpennine line

They were doing 'drive for a fiver' day. The loco was their Fowler 0-4-0DM and he was very, very good indeed

large.1269838229_Title2.jpg.051e0738d5897c2e3023ad57a19a184b.jpg

With is passed driver's certificate

large.667965010_BrooklynandtheFowler.jpg.252140060184ee091b6c956dc58f3e3a.jpg

Don't think his younger is going to follow in his footsteps

Kev

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kev, what a treat for him! I expect I would have been more distracted from the excitement than he was. Super good attention! That’s going to be a great memory for him.

jeff

Thick fog shrouded the Yorkshire Dales this morning when we went to get 'Flying Scotsman' on the Hellifield-Carlisle leg of today's charter train

Brooklyn's picture (cropped a bit to get rid of some interlopers)

large.1472391818_BrooklynFlyingScotsman.jpg.efcfe03248e823ef90da6b01643c06c6.jpg

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lol - I had to chuckle when I read the title of this thread. For my part I am doing my best to get my two daughters interested in the hobby, with some success. The younger one forced me to put googly eyes on an old Santa fe f unit, lol

Edited by Tom1970

Great use of perspective!

sunset reflecting in the window or did the train go thru a large spider web and spider splat?

jeff