Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Diecast bodyshell and not much in the way of detailing parts to knock off.

Meanwhile the Squidlet, for some reason, has developed a fascination with the "Red Shinkansen" and the "Green Shinkansen" which couple together, so I took him to see the real thing:

squidlet-e5-e6-shinkansen.jpg

Evidently he is not alone with this particular interest.

To his credit he also wanted to know what the 185 series (just visible in the background) was.

• Like 6

Very trainy weekend here. Trip to Ferrymead, our local heritage Park, with stream trains, double decker tram and ducks all being studied in equal detail.

Then this morning we repeatedly managed to re-rail the gronk! The tram-track is really great for learning on, and when it gets a bit much food in it you can just wash it in the sink :)

2018-01-22 08.10.45.jpg

26815405_10155119757102551_349093026182920906_n.jpg

Edited by utrainia
  • Like 6
Das Steinkopf
On 21 January 2018 at 8:53 PM, railsquid said:

Excellent spot for a snack :D

squidlet-containers.jpg

Nice to see that you are giving him an education in what a good train looks like.

• Haha 1
On 2018/1/12 at 6:21 PM, railsquid said:

Diecast bodyshell and not much in the way of detailing parts to knock off.

Meanwhile the Squidlet, for some reason, has developed a fascination with the "Red Shinkansen" and the "Green Shinkansen" which couple together, so I took him to see the real thing:

squidlet-e5-e6-shinkansen.jpg

Evidently he is not alone with this particular interest.

To his credit he also wanted to know what the 185 series (just visible in the background) was.

My son also has a fascination with those red and green shinkansens that connect.  Living in Nagoya we've never actually seen them in person, but he has a plarail "red shinkansen" and has let it be known that his next birthday present will be the green one (which, to complicate matters, he has the Shinkalion robot transformer version of, but it doesn't hook up with the standard plarail one....)

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf
34 minutes ago, railsquid said:

At the Hara Model Railway Museum in Yokohama.

squidlet-hara-museum.jpg

Nice to see that you you are providing the lad with a good source of education and inspiration. 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:35 PM, railsquid said:

At the Hara Model Railway Museum in Yokohama.

squidlet-hara-museum.jpg

It’s a nice museum with a lot of beautiful models. I had a drool in the Tenshodo shop afterwards. My boy loved the Thomas models from the early TV production. There was a Thomas event there back in August. That was until he saw a small Tomix promotional layout by the exit. It had the Tomix Thomas and Percy in N gauge running around it and then everything else was irrelevant. 

370862AE-7DCE-48B8-8478-D1737EFE5680.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
Picture didn’t upload
  • Like 1

Kamome Junior went to Hyōgo prefecture with his grandparents today on the Shinkansen. The most annoying part of this was which Shinkansen they took, especially as they’re not interested in trains. At least one of them is!!

2C13C7D0-2F44-4BA3-8142-07340B7C13D0.jpeg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Too bad it’s the fence material and not just crosspieces, but understand they down want things falling on the tracks.

The fence material actually doesn't make much real difference to what you can and can't see/photograph, as the bridge is at the right height for the views in both directions on the running lines to be blocked by the catenary girders...

We did get a tuneful tootle from the E353 driver, and an actual wave from a E233 driver.

• Like 2

We went down on Saturday to the NSW Rail Museum as it's now known, for the "Festival Of Steam". We worked some trips on the loop line. The highlight of Harry's day was spending the afternoon on the footplate of steam loco 3642 with our mate Bernie. Here he is returning from the roundhouse after stabling the engine for the night.

large.PART_1520074697463.jpeg.dbd1805096

Apologies for the poor quality photo - the cheap and cheerful phone was all we had.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3
serotta1972

That ToyrUS truck is going to be a collector's item.  Gonna sell the house and buy 2 in Sacramento, one for habitation and the other for trains.

• Haha 1
serotta1972

Or maybe get into Z scale instead.  The picture on a 10" screen is actual size of train.  It was pretty nice setup.

fullsizeoutput_80bd.thumb.jpeg.4590a31aaa189efc41be573a8c0bd768.jpeg

• Like 1

wow, that looks just as good as an N scale train from a few years back.  Hopefully I can make it down to the show tomorrow to see the setups myself.

15 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I think I'm going to switch over to G gauge. :)

Great plan!  I'll swing by tomorrow to pick up all that N collection just taking up space.  :grin