Indoctrinating children

railsquid

On 3/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, Tom1970 said:

Lol - I had to chuckle when I read the title of this thread. For my part I am doing my best to get my two daughters interested in the hobby, with some success. The younger one forced me to put googly eyes on an old Santa fe f unit, lol

Have you considered tracking down a Tomix Hello Kitty Shinkansen?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

sunset reflecting in the window or did the train go thru a large spider web and spider splat?

I asked that exact same question and the answer is "sun reflecting".

Aww I kind of like the idea of a giant spider splat! Usually the answer you get out a 5 year old or me for that matter…

man he’s getting into all the artistic concepts now!

jeff

The indoctrination is state-sponsored, it seems - Squidlet brought the following home from school:

squidlet-shinkansen-maze2.jpg.39ca04a99d5fc59db423e2d4c9e449c3.jpg

squidlet-shinkansen-maze1.jpg.a20142fe3a5ce967c3223cb97981ac38.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, my work here is done.

Earlier, the Squidlet, contemplating my layout, said (and I paraphrase somewhat) "you know Daddy, your layout has a far higher ratio of track to scenery than you would see in real life".

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Come to think of it, the Squidlet has not yet become aware of my Big Trains (OO).

Meanwhile here's the Squidlet experiencing some advanced British railway technology:

squidlet-2022-08-03a.thumb.jpg.ccade11f5cde8df488ea94f39bcb05f3.jpg

But what really impressed him was shortly before above kettle backed onto the train, someone in the leading coach used, err, the 1930s-era facilities in a non-liquid way, which vented directly and visibly onto the permanent way...

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, railsquid said:

But what really impressed him was shortly before above kettle backed onto the train, someone in the leading coach used, err, the 1930s-era facilities in a non-liquid way, which vented directly and visibly onto the permanent way...

Which was standard for a long time...  I remember riding DB trains in 1983, while on a month long HS exchange to Germany, and found the, uhmm, "facilities" on the train from Munich to Stuttgart, rather interesting.  That and the super coarse, DB labeled (sand)paper...

I see he's had the obligatory "victory sign" lesson already 🙂

While I'm on the thread, the Squidlet has a desk lamp which is one of these new-fangled USB-powered things with an internal battery, and it stopped working today, so I spent a bit of quality time poking at the innards with a multimeter, which led to a brief introduction into the basics of electricity, followed up by a practical demonstration on the basis of the electrical fundamentals of a (DC-only) model railway layout.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Excellent squid! Nothing like learning how stuff works by tearing open something broken to either figure how it works or even fix it! Much of my childhood spent this way.

jeff

11 hours ago, railsquid said:

I see he's had the obligatory "victory sign" lesson already 🙂

I think all kids learn that in the first 6 months of life here!

On 12/5/2022 at 3:00 AM, Sean said:

I think all kids learn that in the first 6 months of life here!

My little boy, now 5 months old, is trying to use the middle finger as well.... I hope it is a mistake by himself 😂

• Haha 3

I don't know if indoctrinating is the right term (at 3-4-months old maybe is brain washing..)... but... oh f...k I just ordered one for me 😭

Shin-QUACK-sen !!!

evaduck.thumb.jpg.e10c0d0d24e59a4c51dc5df1a999db21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, jappomania said:

I don't know if indoctrinating is the right term (at 3-4-months old maybe is brain washing..)... but... oh f...k I just ordered one for me 😭

Shin-QUACK-sen !!!

DO - WANT

Link anyone?

6 minutes ago, Wolf said:

DO - WANT

Link anyone?

I bought it on Mercari (trought Buyee)

search this 新幹線バスダック

surely it will be available in other places, but I don't have to collect all the series, just a couple is enough and for 3-400JPY more is the same for me 😊

(I will have to see a doctor anyway)

• Thanks 1

My father hasn't seen his grandson in almost 4 years due to the stupid pandemic.  Yesterday he and my mom arrived for our first holiday visit in a very long time and my son has been having a lot of fun showing grandpa our layout 🙂 

DSC_0156.JPG

• Like 6