Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Way coo club to start! I’ve seen some Boy And Cub Scout troops do Ttrak. Also one Japanese school in the us did a set. We talked with our local Japanese school about doing something like that there so the kids could have a bit of trains and Japan while here in dc. Need to get the time to set it up to do sometime. 1x Modules are like $2.50 in materials for the base and the. Like $6 for track, then it’s building and scenery. Hope Ing the school coup put in like $25 per kid to do a module. School could keep the modules and build a little layout over the years. Hope to do this here someday.

jeff

My 4-year-old brother has quite the wooden train collection, mostly my old stuff.

Once he's a little older and can understand not touching... it's model time.

Anyone living in a country with Tiger/Flying Tiger shops, some of them currently have wooden trains. Magnetic couplers and standard track gauge, although they don't sell track. Good source of individual vehicles, couldn't resist a milk tanker and log wagon at £2 each. They also offer a steam loco, what I interpreted as a coach and a box van with fruit printed on the side, there may be others. Also a wooden bridge (solid upward-bowed block with arches painted on) which unfortunately lacks the grooves or the joints to be useful with wooden track, pity as it was a pleasing shape and well painted.

Hi,

I usually let children do the job which I should do, operate my layout on exhibitions. Gives me more free time :cheesy

24860424gq.jpg

Btw., Railsquid, I also had the idea of overhead power supply for my daughter, but didn't like the catenary in the living room so much.....

Martin

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanksgiving with the 6yr old grand nephew. He loves the trains. He’s getting good at getting them on the tracks (and getting them off as well while running).

cheers

jeff

D1BA28DA-5836-4B9E-8602-3E15970C6064.jpeg

3F70420B-3678-40F8-85E5-38C6C1AB1B9D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Thanks he’s hooked! Now wants LEGO trains, god thing both his parents are google engineers to pay for them!

that’s the ships wheel from my dad’s old research ship I grew up on. Built in 1928 as a luxury yacht for the silent movie star Constance Bennett. Whenshe was mothballed for a while by the government dad was able to replace the old wooden wheel with a metal one. When navy brought it back out for service again and rehired dad he asked if they wanted the original wooden one on there the navy said do they wanted the new metal one he had replaced it with. Was our eating table (glass covered) for like 35 years.

jeff

One of my wifes' girlfriends has a daughter with a 9yr old lad. He dosen't get up to visit much when I am around, but over the school holidays, he stayed for the night and we spent an enjoyable few hours running trains. Very good at smooth running as well as starting and stopping at the station,etc. My three grown up lads were never fussed about trains, so its nice to have a fan.Haha! 

Excuse the messy shed. 

20190205_203406 (1280x960).jpg

• Like 6
serotta1972

She's now a veteran at Train shows as I've been taking her with me since she was a baby.  She kept herself occupied watching trains on the FreeMoN Setup while I hung out with Paul with the AsianRail setup.  I might have a train riding partner for my next trip to Japan. 🙂

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

IMG_8881.jpeg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 5

Looks like a very interesting show in an equally interesting venue. And it’s great to see dad and daughter sharing the experience. 

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

I meant to post these sooner, but the iPad and the pfone have both been playing up and it took some time to retrieve the photos. The Sydney Bus Museum had a Chinese New Year event using their three Hong Kong buses. Here’s Harry and me with the biggest of the three, an ex-China Motor Bus ML1.

large.32506561-5850-46AD-A0D8-2FC50D6F49

We also had a weekend in Canberra, where among other things we saw this beautiful Lockheed Hudson on display at the Canberra airport. That’s Harry’s great uncle Hubert on the left.

large.FA0847A2-2086-451F-B525-286BCDA855

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2
On 11/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, martin67 said:

Hi,

I usually let children do the job which I should do, operate my layout on exhibitions. Gives me more free time :cheesy

24860424gq.jpg

Btw., Railsquid, I also had the idea of overhead power supply for my daughter, but didn't like the catenary in the living room so much.....

Martin

Martin this layout does not looks German, what loco is the brown one on the right?

On 4/5/2019 at 11:52 PM, marknewton said:

I meant to post these sooner, but the iPad and the pfone have both been playing up and it took some time to retrieve the photos. The Sydney Bus Museum had a Chinese New Year event using their three Hong Kong buses. Here’s Harry and me with the biggest of the three, an ex-China Motor Bus ML1.

large.32506561-5850-46AD-A0D8-2FC50D6F49

We also had a weekend in Canberra, where among other things we saw this beautiful Lockheed Hudson on display at the Canberra airport. That’s Harry’s great uncle Hubert on the left.

large.FA0847A2-2086-451F-B525-286BCDA855

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark, where you driving the tin hares today? I saw two sets of them going pass Burwood station running smoothly at speed, quite a sight!

There was also a half Japanese electric loco at Central I never saw before. The kids wanted to get back home and did not let me explore more. They need some indoctrination in railway history.

No, I’m no longer qualified on them. Instead I was on the Kiama Picnic Train with 5917 both days. My mate Nathan was on the LVR railmotors, he had a good weekend on them too. They’re the tin hares in the Indian red livery.

The electric loco you saw is 8606, the only operating example left. It now belongs to the Sydney Electric Train Society, but has been returned to traffic to work the Robel rail train for Sydney Trains.

https://www.sets.org.au/fleet/index.php?id=8606

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, marknewton said:

The electric loco you saw is 8606, the only operating example left. It now belongs to the Sydney Electric Train Society, but has been returned to traffic to work the Robel rail train for Sydney Trains.

https://www.sets.org.au/fleet/index.php?id=8606

Hi Mark,

thank you for the link, I saw it on Friday when leaving work and wondered what it was doing there as I hadn’t see one since the days when they were in service

Keith

Das Steinkopf
On 10 June 2019 at 10:45 PM, marknewton said:

No, I’m no longer qualified on them. Instead I was on the Kiama Picnic Train with 5917 both days. My mate Nathan was on the LVR railmotors, he had a good weekend on them too. They’re the tin hares in the Indian red livery.

Geez Dodgy certainly does get about, I thought he would have been driving the C Set as he has done that on previous years.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Taking a Shinkansen/Marine Liner trip to Shikoku last week.  

My eldest is almost 5 years old and I'm thinking this Christmas I'll drag my layout out of storage and set it up for him (and his sister, can't leave her out of the fun!)

Marine Liner.jpg

Shinkansen.jpg

• Like 6

The Squidlet's unprompted freelance attempt at an elevated station with attached biru in Plarail, Lego (Duplo), wooden blocks and whatever else comes to hand, which is IMHO not bad bearing in mind he's only 4-and-a-half (though purists might object to the Toden tram as a leading car in the E257 formation).

squidlet-plarail-station.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1