Indoctrinating children

railsquid

On ‎31‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, railsquid said:

Squidlet meets Odaktyu.

squidlet-odakyu.jpg

Series 1000 I presume? 

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

The Squidlet is a one-off production run... the train is... Odakyu, more I cannot say.

Haha I meant to say that's the Odakyu 1000 series yes? Guessing from the windows... 

Wished I could also view trains just by walking on the streets... The Squidlet is a lucky dude! 

TBH my knowledge of Odakyu trains is not much more than "Romance Car"/"Normal commuter train", it looks familiar from when I commuted on the Odakyu ca. 1996, checking Wikipedia it looks like either a 1000 or 2000 series, both of which were around at the time. I suppose I could go and check the original image and see if the number's visible, but that would require too much effort right now ;).

On 07/03/2018 at 4:13 AM, cteno4 said:

Man the boy is shooting up fast!

jeff

Yes, too fast! I always know when he's having a growth spurt, because I can't fill him up. And anything in the fridge that I might have wanted to eat later, or take to work for crib, just disappears! :(

In other news, we went north last weekend for Steamfest at Maitland. Didn't manage to take many photos as we were flat out working trains, but here's a few from Sunday afternoon when we had a break and went for a run on the 620 class cars to Mt. Thorley. Paula and I sat back and relaxed in 1st class, while Harry rode up front with our mate,  Railmotor Society driver Stewart. It's a scenic trip with some fast running. And on Monday morning the 36 class worked the return trip to Sydney. By the time we got home we were buggered, but as always it was a great weekend. 

large.IMG_20180415_145326.jpg.90abbcfe15

large.IMG_20180415_160544.jpg.ed4764a365

large.IMG_20180415_160557.jpg.540f122033

large.IMG_1363.PNG.861bc8c41c3593e4c583d

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Nice holiday and the seating worked out well! 

Only solution to the fridge is get a second one with a lock on it for you guys and hope harry does not learn to pick locks too fast... either that or you go on a forced diet for a few years. ;-p

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
railsquid

The Squidlet has taken to surrounding his plarail station with buildings of various kinds. Definitely not an inaka kid.

squidlet-plarail-station.jpg

• Like 3
JR 500系

Those bricks are HUGE! and from the way the station is built, we can all sense his interest in tunnels!  

railsquid

Put it this way, the bricks were acquired at an age (not all that long ago) where "not fitting into child's mouth" was an important safety criterium, and many of them still bear teeth marks.

railsquid

The Squidlet, doing the Shinkansen driving thing again.

squidlet-shinkansen-2018-05-06.jpg

Last time, in October 2016, when I could only get him to sit on the seat for about 30 seconds.

squidlet-0-kei-shinkansen.jpg

• Like 4
On 4/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, JR 500系 said:

Series 1000 I presume? 

Looks like an unrefurbished 1000 series, still with a loud GTO-IGBT inverter. :)

JR 500系
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

The Squidlet, doing the Shinkansen driving thing again.

squidlet-shinkansen-2018-05-06.jpg

Last time, in October 2016, when I could only get him to sit on the seat for about 30 seconds.

squidlet-0-kei-shinkansen.jpg

I read that this is in a park somewhere in Tokyo.... Cant point my finger to it but I recall watching the Railway Journal or something that describes the 0 series in a children's park...

6 hours ago, Kabutoni said:

Looks like an unrefurbished 1000 series, still with a loud GTO-IGBT inverter. :)

Thanks! How did you know about that I wonder though...  :) 

But at least I know my guess wasn't too far~~  :)

railsquid
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

I read that this is in a park somewhere in Tokyo.... Cant point my finger to it but I recall watching the Railway Journal or something that describes the 0 series in a children's park...

Ome Railway Park. More of a child-friendly musuem.

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Thanks! How did you know about that I wonder though...  :) 

But at least I know my guess wasn't too far~~  :)

I have my sources, whispering in my head.

Also I have the feeling our son us growing up too quickly. He has very little interest in the expensive new 6-car Shikishima PlaRail he got from a good friend of mine, but has developed a need for more steam trains...

IMG_20180507_170731.jpg

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2
JR 500系
29 minutes ago, Kabutoni said:

I have my sources, whispering in my head.

Also I have the feeling our son us growing up too quickly. He has very little interest in the expensive new 6-car Shikishima PlaRail he got from a good friend of mine, but has developed a need for more steam trains...

Wow Pla Rail Shikishima 6-car set  comes with lights, interior lights, humans and even sitting in the cabins! That is pretty interesting! 

Edited by JR 500系
railsquid
50 minutes ago, Kabutoni said:

Excellent taste!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, railsquid said:

Excellent taste!

My thoughtnexactly, skip the bling and go for the true beauty! Some of you’re genes got in there toni.

jeff

Das Steinkopf
On 7 May 2018 at 7:03 PM, railsquid said:

Excellent taste!

I have to agree with you there as well, I saw the Shikishima going out for test runs at least 3 times when I was in Tokyo last year and I never took a single photo of it as I thought it was hideous looking thing. 

The Squidlet has recently grasped the concept of buffer stops, and lacking any for the Plarail, he made his own.

squidlet-buffers.jpg

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, railsquid said:

The Squidlet has recently grasped the concept of buffer stops, and lacking any for the Plarail, he made his own.

Great job! And at the same time practising the Japanese point and sat culture, very nice!

I'm sure Plarail has some buffer stops...   :P

Though you might need a longer straight for the train to stop before the buffer ~~  😛