Indoctrinating children

railsquid

I noticed the Squidlet had somehow manage to couple the 3 cars of his Chuo-Sobu line train together the other day.

As for knees, the arrangement we have is "bring the trains to daddy"  ;)

Meanwhile there was a clip on TV news showing Disneyland in California (something connected with baseball, don't ask me what) and the Squidlet was grinning at it and my heart sunk, fearing his soul was being stolen by the mouse, then he gestured excitedly and said "points!". For there was some kind of tramline embedded in the "street" where the rodent parade was being held.

• Haha 3

Excellent (he said with his fingers steepled)! Training the squidlet well squid!

maybe you should do some consulting for Tomy on plarail marketing... you have beaten the draw ofnthe rodent.

jeff

Nice that he knows what points are.  You gotta watch out for that Disney themed Plarail too though.  Fortunately we don't have any in my house, but its out there. 

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

You need to get him one of these!

They're on the list (if I haven't got a pair squirreled away already), but only for eating with and not grubbing around on the floor...

He got a good 20 minutes of play out of those (he's got to the point where he's picking up station announcements and having a game stab at repeating them), and as I've got some good use for disposable chopsticks on the layout, I took them home with me for "recycling").

• Like 1

Very busy with famil and work lately, hence the silence. I managed to get an SLR camera (Canon Kiss X5/600D) because of my hard work and now am playing around with that.

It's a good excuse to drag my son along for watching trains.

IMG_3414.jpg

I'm still a beginner. Don't judge me too hard...

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 12

Allow me to introduce our little bundle of mischief, Freya. She likes cats, dogs, and trains, and can say "meow", "woof-woof", "train" and "plane". She loves visiting me at work, but heaven forbid if I don't have a train video lined up for her! She has two Tomix loops set up around the house, and my crowning achievement so far has been a loop of tram track on the dinner table — no meal is compete without a tram trundling around, and it better be moving it else!

I've made her a food-proof controller with speed and direction controls, and at 14 months she is surprisingly good at changing direction and adjusting the speed. Glad I'm not one of the mini people riding the tram though, the direction changes are brutal!

I've been impressed by the washability of tram track, though it does need daily cleaning lol.

I think we're off to a good start!

PS: the dad in me thinks it should be "indoctrainating", aren't bad puns part of the job description?IMG_20180109_182645.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Both my wife and I cleared some leave for the New Year, so we could spend some time together as a family - which has been great. Some of that has been spent train watching and plane watching. We headed over to Sydney Airport today and saw more A380s in one session than ever before - six all up. Some highlights:

large.IMG_0044.JPG.495573c83637e461b1d14

large.IMG_0052.JPG.079961da779facdb4874a

large.IMG_0057.JPG.b7c98c3ed5a0cc0abcc9d

large.IMG_0059.JPG.49497f02aafdf2d8de1b3

large.IMG_0062.JPG.a662e11e41a38626d1c79

large.IMG_0065.JPG.fc426e4571749829d468e

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

So is that a spiral slide for the air traffic controllers to use out of the tower? Would help relieve stress!

the 380 are monsters. I remeber seeing my first one at sfo.

you have a gem of a wife Mark — putting up with transport spotting and running rains on the kitchen counter tops!

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Das Steinkopf
23 hours ago, marknewton said:

Both my wife and I cleared some leave for the New Year, so we could spend some time together as a family - which has been great. Some of that has been spent train watching and plane watching. We headed over to Sydney Airport today and saw more A380s in one session than ever before - six all up. Some highlights:

large.IMG_0044.JPG.495573c83637e461b1d14

large.IMG_0052.JPG.079961da779facdb4874a

large.IMG_0057.JPG.b7c98c3ed5a0cc0abcc9d

large.IMG_0059.JPG.49497f02aafdf2d8de1b3

large.IMG_0062.JPG.a662e11e41a38626d1c79

large.IMG_0065.JPG.fc426e4571749829d468e

Cheers,

Mark.

You didn't happen to bump into any of the SMUT boys when you were there did you, there is an active element of Plunzels and Bunzels in the group as well as the more garden variety Gunzels, Mr X whose 44 Class your young bloke got to drive loves his planes as well as trains.

Before anyone (insert name here) gets offended SMUT means Strange Modellellers of Universal Trains.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

So is that a spiral slide for the air traffic controllers to use out of the tower? Would help relieve stress!

the 360 are monsters. I remeber seeing my first one at sfo.

you have a gem of a wife Mark — putting up with transport spotting and running rains on the kitchen counter tops!

Jeff, the spiral slide is an emergency escape route. Paula's dad was one of the contractors for the tower construction, and he snuck her in there late one Sunday afternoon so she could try it out. She's a bit of a daredevil. And yes, she's very tolerant of some of our activities, but she's also a buff herself. The planewatching trips are usually her idea.

You're right about 380s being monsters. I bought a Heller 1/125th scale model of one for Harry a couple of weeks back, and we started building the thing today. It's HUGE!  :)

large.IMG_0089.JPG.6f5e14ca1c71a0c6f1568

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Das Steinkopf said:

You didn't happen to bump into any of the SMUT boys when you were there did you, there is an active element of Plunzels and Bunzels in the group as well as the more garden variety Gunzels, Mr X whose 44 Class your young bloke got to drive loves his planes as well as trains.

We didn't see anyone we knew there yesterday, but at other times we've encountered assorted buffs that we know, or knew who we were. There was a bloke there one day in full airline regalia who raced over to me and asked if had worked on 3801. I told him yes, and he explained that when he was a kid I'd invited him onto the engine for a quick ride while we were running around the cars at Sydney Terminal. He said it was an experience he'd never forgotten. So that made my day. :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Good on ya mark, left a great imprint on the guy! I remember fondly the train men on the local freight shunting in the warehouses next to the pier I grew up would let me ride on the caboose deck if there was one or a few would let me hang onto a box car. They were so good at their jobs that hardly any slam at all, but would never happen these days! In college my apartment was up against the rr tracks and on the other side was a cannery that had cars shunted in and out late each night, study break use to be to go out and watch the shunting and talk to the guys if there were breaks. Now and then they would run the current string a few miles down to a siding so they would invite me to ride the caboose (if there was one) down to the holding siding and have a cup of coffee and then I’d walk home.

they should let the air traffic controller do the slide at breaks as a release! Looks like fun. Paula sounds like good fun, good catch there.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
Do I spy a Gronk in on the table too?
Yep, little GraFar class 08 that I picked up for a song as it was coated in super glue and not running. Little TLC and it works fine! It won't go around r103 curves but has done many hours in r140 without a complaint. Good wee engines, quite tolerant of the the little monster's abuse lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1