Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Hey, it's a nice catch! 189 Series Upgrade Azusa.

I saw it in Shinjuku last summer but wasn't able to snap a shot.

Hey, it's a nice catch! 189 Series Upgrade Azusa.

I saw it in Shinjuku last summer but wasn't able to snap a shot.

I actually wasn't previously aware of its existence, but I've been taking the Chuo line with the Squidlet on weekends recently and keep coming across it, finally managed to get some pictures before it hurried away (more pictures here).

• Like 1

These days I hardly have time to do modelling due to a change of work station for illustrations, but I do have time to play with my son!

IMG_20170521_173239.jpg

A little experiment that has been received quite positively :)

And yes, we watch O-sumo every day.

• Like 3
marknewton

Harry and I spent the afternoon firing on the 27 class at Thirlmere. Sorry, didn't take the iPad or a camera with us, we left them in the car. Too busy and too engrossed to take photos. Believe me though, Harry thoroughly enjoyed his time on the footplate.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Lucky lad! Good on ya Mark! Something he will always remeber with dad and maybe stoke his fires to follow in dad's path.

Jeff

Harry and I spent the afternoon firing on the 27 class at Thirlmere. Sorry, didn't take the iPad or a camera with us, we left them in the car. Too busy and too engrossed to take photos. Believe me though, Harry thoroughly enjoyed his time on the footplate.

Cheers,

Mark.

It's a real pity there are no regular train services from Central to the museum in Thirlmere. All I need is a railcar on Saturday or Sunday morning to push on my indoctrination program. 

serotta1972

Slowly getting the rest of the family indoctrinated - the little one is the boss now so we all follow.

post-2776-0-72366500-1495948028_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-68300000-1495948033_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-53240300-1495948038_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-65415100-1495948042_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-13448600-1495948046_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-04306500-1495948642_thumb.jpegpost-2776-0-36474200-1495948644_thumb.jpeg

We visited the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista, CA and they have trolleys and interurban railway cars that operated in Northern California and some other random trains.  We rode a San Francisco Trolley and an Interurban train that used to run from Sacramento to Oakland.  They have restored part of the old railroad and do an out and back rides.  The museum is mostly volunteer run from the restoration to operating the trains and the gentleman with the kids is a motor man in training and an avid model railroader.

I will post more pics later on a different thread.

• Like 6
marknewton

Wooden interurbans. Envy! :)

Looks you and the family had a great day out. Good one!

All the best,

Mark.

marknewton

Lucky lad! Good on ya Mark! Something he will always remeber with dad and maybe stoke his fires to follow in dad's path.

Jeff

Jeff, I don't think there's any doubt about that. He turns 11 tomorrow, so the Domestic Authority reckons he's old enough to accompany me when I go down to the tramway on workshop days. So now we're past indoctrination, and into actual instruction and training. :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Wow! That's awsome sauce! Can you be my dad?!

I don't know Jeff, I think both our wives might have something to say about that. :)

For the last few years there's been a transport heritage event held at Sydney Terminal station over the June long weekend. As I was rostered off today, I took the tribe in to see what was happening there. Trains on display included preserved Alco World-series loco 4490, CPH railmotors, and single-deck EMU F1. And there was a fleet of preserved buses doing trips around the city. When the buses were due to return to the museum depot at Leichardt at the end of the day, our friend Geoff Lanham offered us a ride there in one of the double-deckers, and a tour of the museum when we got there. Needless to say we said, "Yes, please!".

gallery_22_222_1428822.jpg

Harry, Kaelan and 4490.

gallery_22_222_550173.jpg

Harry in the cab of F1 - with the reverser key!

gallery_22_222_1600212.jpg

The boys, 4490 and the CPH railmotors in the background.

gallery_22_222_1437235.jpg

At Leichardt, with a pre-war Leyland and a post-war AEC.

gallery_22_222_919317.jpg

Me, with a Leyland Leopard. When I was a teenager, these were the most modern buses in Sydney. I loved them then, and I still do.

gallery_22_222_10871.jpg

The boys with some Vespas.

gallery_22_222_349750.jpg

The boys with Geoff, and some of the Museum fleet.

So if you're in Sydney, and you like old buses, trucks and other commercial vehicles...

https://www.sydneybusmuseum.info

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 9

I don't know Jeff, I think both our wives might have something to say about that. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Yeah you may be right... my wife already complains she has a husband and a 10 year old but only lives with one person! Plus I may have a few years on you so that might be a bit awkward to explain even if I do act like a kid.

Jeff

• Like 1

Happy to report the Squidlet (aged ca. 2.5) has been getting the hang of this whole speaking thing recently, so as well as "kah" (4-wheeled internal-combustion-engine powered vehicle) and "'ikohi" (thing which flies high in the sky) we also have "azh'sa" ("Azusa") and "aiji" ("Kaiji").

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

I took him to the overbridge west of Mitaka today for the first time in a while, and he was overjoyed to see an "aiji", especially as the driver took the time to tootle at him.

In other news I brought out the stash of "Thomas The Tank Engine" books, genuine reprints of the proper Rev. Audrey editions, first time he's actually paid attention to the story being read, rather than grabbing the book and flicking through it looking for interesting pictures.

• Like 2
serotta1972

We went to the Golden State Model Railroad Museum in Richmond with the kids - it was fun for all especially for me.  :)

post-2776-0-77026300-1499041269_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-54736100-1499041273_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-76966000-1499041277_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-22811600-1499041282_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-10395400-1499041286_thumb.jpg

There was one unusual looking train in the N scale yard.

http://www.gsmrm.org

• Like 6
serotta1972

Poor European train just sitting there - no one paid any attention to it as all the members were busy assembling their 30 car freight train.

Wow could you be my dad? :P

That line is one of my favorite... The Chuo main line... is that the E231-800 with blue stripes sitting at the left side? Couldn't see the moving train on its left though...

Looks like a fun outing!  Were you two at the yard by Mitaka on the chuo line?

Correct, it's about 15 minutes by bicycle from Chez Railsquid, and depending on the time of day can be followed up with a trip to the zoo at Kichijoji.

Previously featured here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11158-a-trip-to-mitaka/

Wow could you be my dad? :P

That line is one of my favorite... The Chuo main line... is that the E231-800 with blue stripes sitting at the left side? Couldn't see the moving train on its left though...

Very probably a E231-800 (i.e. the JR Tozai Line ones). IIRC the moving train was a Chuo-Sobu line one (209 or E231, don't recall which subtypes are valid). There's always a mixed bunch of Chuo-Sobu 209s/E231s, Tokyo Metro Tozai line sets and often an E257 or E351, at least on weekends.

Edited by railsquid