Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Yes we should have another thread, indoctrinating spouses... since my wife claims to have a 10 year old and husband at home but only lives with one person, I try to wiggle it from both sides.

Jeff

• Like 3

Yes we should have another thread, indoctrinating spouses... since my wife claims to have a 10 year old and husband at home but only lives with one person, I try to wiggle it from both sides.

Jeff

I must have been unusually lucky, because my wife was already indoctrinated when we met. :)

She's a diesel fitter by trade, having grown up in the country helping her dad fix cars, trucks and tractors. After we met and became a couple she got her steam ticket as well. She was only the second woman in NSW to qualify on steam after our friend Simone from Zig Zag at Lithgow. We used to work together running and maintaining mainline excursion engines out of Eveleigh and Port Kembla.

The weekend before last my family travelled down to Goulburn to visit our mates from Lachlan Valley Railway, who currently have one of their locos based there. Former crane loco 1076 has been reassembled, and is awaiting certification. This is where it's up to:

gallery_22_222_1045717.jpg

In the next stall is LVR's 3237, which is having a bottom-end overhaul. That's my son Harry with the engine. He's starting to get involved with restoration projects as well. He got his hands dirty helping the lads remove bushes from the coupling rods.

gallery_22_222_904241.jpg

While we were there our mate Craig from the tramway museum delivered the new LVR crew van on his train-carrying float. Something you don't see every day!

gallery_22_222_694764.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5

This thread is absolutely fantastic! Love seeing kids get into it, and especially girls getting into trains. Trains are for everyone! :)

• Like 1

10 weeks into the Plarail world, the Squidlet (ca. 2.2) has finally mastered the art of joining Plarail track ("Recommended for ages 3 years and upwards") by himself.

squidlet-plarail-attempt.jpg

We do need to work on the concept of "joining it in a loop" but he's getting there. He's also worked out how to stop and start the sole powered unit we have, and how to set the points (which is not bad bearing in mind I've never actively shown him how to do that).

• Like 4

I see also he's got a keyboard there, too... might want to think about that - trains and synths together gonna get expensive. (Ask me how I know!)

railsquid

I had Squidlet Entertainment Duty the other day, so what could be better than going to see some trains?

squidlet-c-flyer.jpg

Maybe some planes?

squidlet-aeroplane.jpg

Or even a very funny-looking train:

squidlet-monorail.jpg

(which has windows arranged so that a toddler can stand unassisted and look out for the entirety of the journey to Hamamatsucho, when upon arrival he fell asleep, so we skipped the planned Shinkansen visit at Tokyo station).

• Like 6
serotta1972

My little girl's first ride on Caltrain - 30 min ride one way and it was just long enough before she got restless.  

post-2776-0-17358400-1494394002_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-16449300-1494394032_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
marknewton

Thomas is good, but the Meitetsu 510 series cars are better! :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
serotta1972

She didn't even notice the 510's and only came near the table when I put Thomas on the track. 

• Like 1

Great picture squid!  Now Junior needs to just channel his inner kid, and take the same picture when he goes to visit!

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

How cool is that! Where's your picture in the controls?

It was alas just me and the Squidlet, and his camera skills are not as advanced as his train driving ones... Here he is having a crack at an ED75, though the control handle was locked so not so much fun.

squidlet-ed75.jpg

• Like 3

What a great collection!  I love those classic tank containers.  Squidlet has fine taste!  What museum did you visit?  

It was a very rainy day and apart from the short walk to the local bus stop, the Kanto transport system has excellent possibilities for exercising body and mind of a small toddler without getting wet :D

• Like 2

"Daddy why do I have to stand in front of this boring old train when I can see an E257 on the other platform?"

squidlet-189-shinjuku.jpg

• Like 8