Indoctrinating children

railsquid

continued from here

Our son is already indoctrinated with the bread man and his utterly bizarre surrounding. Really, it's a very trippy world Anpanman is living in. Quite surreal.

While I've been aware of him for many years, I first encountered Anpanman directly on the Anpanman train in Shikoku, totally unplanned but it happened to turn up. There were some books on the train, and yes "trippy" is what I thought too.

To counter that, I'm putting railway information in his brain, so he can distinguish rolling stock when trainspotting. He can already recognise all current Odakyu Romance Cars by name (VSE, MSE, LSE, EXE) and slowly starts to name the commuter stock by correct series numbers as well (1000 and 4000 types this weekend). Now onwards to being able to spot the differences between the 1000, 1700 and 2000 types! Let's see if I can cram in pre- and post-refurbishment as well... xD

Better than me then, I'm hopeless at commuter stock types unless I own the model.

Anyway the Squidlet is happily fascinated by level crossings, and he's starting to take an interest in the Big Noisy Things which thunder through after the bing-bing-bing flashy lights start and the colourful barrier comes down.

• Like 8

What a great squidlette! He doesn't even flinch at the big noisy machine. Will have to bone up on your commuter trains so the tonilette and squidlette can have a competition on naming trains!

Thanks for the video!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

I don't see it as indoctrination, more like eduction. I'm all in favour of it:

26519995442_ab79921b16_b.jpg

26339590300_c9e04fd765_b.jpg

Otherwise, how else is a child going to learn to distinguish between GEs and Alcos? :)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Once you sow the seeds, the interest will grow. Every day he's taking either the entire Odakyū VSE or his single car Tōkyū 5000 to bed. Also, papa is helping with his little temporary layout by creating custom content and altering some basic parts. The tunnel can even be stood upon! Cardboard engineering at its finest! xD

PHOTO_20160424_170628.jpg

Yeah, we need more tracks. Two points will only get you so far...

• Like 5
railsquid

Well, looks like the plan is working... the Squidlet goes to this fence of his own voilition :D

leo-2016-05-05a.jpg

leo-2016-05-05b.jpg

• Like 3

I can see the squidlette doing that little up and down dance when the train goes by!

Jeff

• Like 1
JR 500系

That's cute! Is that a Seibu train? We could also really see the weather becoming hot in Japan now... Oh the sun...

railsquid

That is indeed a Seibu 30000-kei "Smile train". Good thing I bought this to keep me informed as an investment in my son's future education :D

gallery_1206_166_46824.jpg

Certainly hotting up a bit here.

• Like 2
JR 500系

Smile train! The Squidlet will definitely remember this as the Smile train ~~ Guess my train knowledge isn't that bad after all ~~  :)

Is that a book or a disc? It says 'Seibu no Densha', and something about 'Super Norimono Series A' on the top right corner...

Darn you can get all things train related in Japan.... 

Edited by JR 500系

That reminds me to get the Odakyu one for my son. I have to censor out the 3000 series F-Train page though, as this one doesn't run any more... :(

And some more attempts at indoctrination:

PHOTO_20160506_083847.jpg

There was some great interest in the diesel electric motor under this train, so I explained it a little. I have no idea if he grasped the concepts of a turbo and cardan shaft... I was however happy to see this DMU, as this is the same registration number released as by Tomytec. WRONG. It's 2111 xD

PHOTO_20160506_100024.jpg

Here there was more interest in the icecream than the acceleration of this MoOKa 14 type...

Edited by Kabutoni (a.k.a. Toni Babelony)
  • Like 2
marknewton

Well, looks like the plan is working... the Squidlet goes to this fence of his own voilition :D

leo-2016-05-05b.jpg

Great photo! You should get the little bloke a stool or stepladder so he can see over the weeds! :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
marknewton

Here as well, the propaganda machine continues relentlessly.

Good one, Toni - get him started on steam while he's young! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

I am pleased to report the Squidlet got most excited the other day when a news item involving the Narita Express, a train he is theoretically unfamiliar with, appeared on TV.

Actually I just noticed it's in the little bite-friendly book of trains he has acquired for some reason, can't imagine why, on the next page from Doctor Yellow which he seems to be fascinated by.

Make the most of it Squid. I spent countless hours trainspotting with my eldest son when he was 3-5yrs old. Even got a free ride for over an hour in a switcher at our large local port zooming all over the tracks dropping off and picking up wagons (wouldn't have happened if My son wasn't with me)He got bored after 5 mins, so I had to keep bribing him with food and drink. After all this he got hooked into playstation and then cars and girls!

I think my two year old is slowly getting the hang of operating the Tomix controler... He does however have the discipline (for now) not to touch the trains when I'm not looking.

PHOTO_20160524_072825.jpg

• Like 9

It takes a long time to walk down this street, as every time a train passes it must be Pointed At while standing still. Bonus points if a train comes along while the manhole cover is being Inspected.

pointing-at-train.jpg

• Like 7