Strong earthquake in Kyushu

railsquid

I see a crane there, is that used to hoist up the derailed carriage, and then place it again onto the tracks, and then locomotive out?

By the way, thanks to squid, katoftw and bill937ca for constantly updating us on the recovery progress and status!  :)

• Like 1

The frequency of smaller quakes has gone down - none since just before 7pm yesterday, which was a pretty quiet day anyway.

I take a keen interest in these things because though Kyushu is far away, earthquakes are a definite risk here, and it's interesting to know about both the mechanism as well as the effects on real life.

I take a keen interest because Kumamoto was my favourite place in Japan.  I and I had time to research and follow update this week due to post medical operation sitting on my bum doing nothing.

I join JR500 in thanking squid, katoftw and bill937 for the updates.

This story is in itself interesting, but even more as I'm supposed to stay two days in Kumamoto this summer.
So the informations you guys give us are in fact decisive for my travel plans.

But I'm still not sure if I should cancel my reservation in Kumamoto or not.

I would still go.  The region will need your tourist dollars to survive and rebuild.  And the local Kyushu people would be very thankful if you did still go.

The Bungo Hwy and Hohi Line will be out for some months.  But everything else is up and running.  Kurokawa Onsen is operational, B&S Miyasaki buses are running between Kumamoto and Miyasaki/Takachiko.

The castle looks pittaful in its current state.  But hopefully they can do some clearing and support work and allow people back into the grounds.  Money = fix.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

@Katoftw - Thank you for your answer.

This was my thinking also.

Kumamoto is at the beginning of our trip around the 13th of july, just after staying Fukuoka, and before going northwards to Hiroshima after that.

Our plan was mainly to visit the castle - now at least the castle grounds - and the Suzenji garden.
So the pending questions are :

- Will the Shinkansen be running between Hakata and Kumamoto for convenient and fast travel (we'll both have two big suitcases) ?

- Will the castle grounds be accessible ?
- Was the Suzenji garden damanged ? Will it be closed ?

So any infos you guys have a really welcome !  :)

Shinkansen to Kumamoto started at 11:51am this morning.

Hisatsu + Misumi Lines reopened this afternoon.

The castle grounds are closed to public currently.  And I'd be doubtful any work has progressed to make it safe.  As all heavy mover equipment would be out doing the residential and commercial areas for human safety.  Just keep checking in.  I'm pretty sure the Kumamoto Castle Association has a website also which probably has the status of events.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

At least the high number of people in shelters means much less people lost their lifes and the houses can be rebuilt. As long as the people are there to rebuild, the region could recover faster.

• Like 1

2pm today to completely open.  The fall colours outside are beautiful.

More of the Hohi Line is opening today also. Bungo-Takata to Bungo-Ogi.

• Like 1

I'm impressed they were able to get the entire Kyushu Shinkansen line open again. Considering the damage I saw from Japanese news web sites, I thought it would take MUCH longer to get the line re-opened. Wonder will they impose speed restrictions until all the repairs are done.

Hello,

On a serious note, earthquake-safe design has been at the forefront of engineer's minds in Japan for many years.  It does not surprise me that shinkansen is running again so soon.  Of course, there are still many repairs to effect, and they may stretch well into autumn, but on the whole the system is quite robust.

It's back. Amazing the only Kyushu shinkansen that derailed as a result of the earthquakes was one that was out of service: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20160427_28/

So, they're essentially running it like a slower version of the Tsubame all-stops service between Hakata and Kagoshima-Chuo Stations. Let's see how long before they restore full-speed (260 km/h maximum) service, including the limited stop Sakura and Mizuho services.

Yes is it speed restricted in certain sections.  There will be various reasons for this.  Could be a simple as workmen replacing missing sound barriers.  All the way up to cracked but deemed safe concrete support structures.