Strong earthquake in Kyushu

railsquid

Magnitude 6.4, max "shindo" 7 (highest intensity on a scale of 1 to 7), centred close to Kumamoto. Some damage and injuries, but not a major catastrophe (so far, it's dark so the full extent will become apparent tomorrow). Continuing strong aftershocks. News is saying an empty Shinkansen has derailed.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/strong-quake-hits-kyushu-region-no-tsunami-danger

• Like 1

Having experienced the Christchurch earthquake in NZ 5 years ago that destroyed my hometown and the aftershocks it was a bit of a reminder for my family who are also here with me in Japan.

We were in a Lawson store near Tokuyama station for the 6.2 one yesterday which didn't create too much movement at ground level but the 5.9 one at 11:45pm when we were trying to sleep certainly got the heart going as the hotel moved with the tremors and swayed a bit as we were on the 9th floor.

We're 170ish kilometers away so by no means closeby but earthquakes are never pleasant...

At least nothing seems unfixable on the castle:

2a5cce49d12420387740feb4f3d27f2d31ee956a

I think it's much worse for those people who might still be trapped in their houses and no relatives who could report them as missing.

no more people missing, apparently.

The Shinkansen which derailed had 22 of 24 sets of wheels derail.

Oh my... Doesn't JR Kyushu installed those derailment guards like JR East did?

My Condolences to the losses...

Kyushu just keeps shaking. Last night another heavy quake claimed three more lives and Kumamoto prefecture is practically shaking apart now if the quakes continue. There is also some fear of Mt. Aso erupting.

This night another earthquake struck the Kumamoto region, this time a M7.3 one. So far at least one dead and the Dutch public broadcasting company is saying a hospital in the region may be about to collapse.

Just a few current service suspension for JRK as of 8am.

鹿児島本線 二日市~八代 Kagoshima Line Futsukaichi ~ Yatsushiro

日豊本線 行橋~宮崎 Nippo Line Yukuhashi ~ Miyazaki

福北ゆたか線 折尾~篠栗 Fukuhokuyutaka Line Orio ~ Sasaguri

若松線 若松~折尾 Wakamatsu Line Wakamatsu ~ Orio

筑豊本線(原田線) 桂川~原田 Chikuho Line(Haruda Line) Keisen ~ Haruda

後藤寺線 新飯塚~田川後藤寺 Gotoji Line Shin-Iizuka ~ Tagawagotoji

日田彦山線 城野~夜明 Hitahikosan Line Jono ~ Yoake

長崎本線 鳥栖~長崎 Nagasaki Line Tosu ~ Nagasaki

長崎本線 喜々津~浦上(長与経由) Nagasaki Line Kikitsu ~ Urakami(via Nagayo)

佐世保線 肥前山口~佐世保 Sasebo Line Hizen-Yamaguchi ~ Sasebo

唐津線 西唐津~久保田 Karatsu Line Nishi-Karatsu ~ Kubota

大村線 早岐~諌早 Omura Line Haiki ~ Isahaya

久大本線 久留米~大分 Kyudai Line Kurume ~ Oita

豊肥本線 熊本~大分 Hohi Line Kumamoto ~ Oita

三角線 宇土~三角 Misumi Line Uto ~ Misumi

肥薩線 八代~吉松 Hisatsu Line Yatsushiro ~ Yoshimatsu

All trains are cancelled except the following ones: Kirishima (Miyazaki ~ Kagoshima-Chuo)、Umisachi-Yamasachi(Miyazaki ~ Nango) Ibusuki no Tamatebako(Kagoshima-Chuo ~ Ibusuki)

Edited by katoftw

At least nothing seems unfixable on the castle:

2a5cce49d12420387740feb4f3d27f2d31ee956a

It's taken more damage overnight and continues to do so with each heavy aftershock.

Just seeing pictures of a 2-car train derailed at a level crossing.

Edited by railsquid

Well the Hohi Line isn't gonna be operational for months now.  Just a little further from the Tateno zig-zag.

Hopefully no one was under when the ground slipped.

I wonder has all Kyushu Shinkansen service between Hakata and Kagoshima-Chuo Stations been suspended. I believe the trains are still running between Hakata to Honshu (Nozomi, Sakura, and Kodama).

bikkuri bahn

Kyushu Shinkansen is shut down completely.  JR Kyushu site has info of which lines are in operation. Those not listed have suspended operation.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/trains/unkou.jsp

http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye2751461.html

*addtl info:

JR West on their website- Sanyo Shinkansen all JR West services normal operation to Hakata.  All through Mizuho and Sakura services are truncated to Hakata.

http://trafficinfo.westjr.co.jp/sanyo.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Aso Shrine has also taken huge damage.  The roof is on the ground.

And also a dam has collapsed, assuming somewhere in eastern Kyushu.