Keikyu Shinagawa Station departure procedure

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Interesting video describing the procedure for departing trains at this station. First, the departure warning bell(for down trains) or the single tone "buzzer" (for up trains) is sounded. Once all passengers have boarded, the platform supervisor activates the ト indicator visible above the platform. The guard then closes the doors, and once the red indicator lights on the train car bodies extinguish, the platform supervisor activates the O indicator located in the same housing as the ト indication. The guard then signals all clear with the cab buzzer, and the train departs. The first train shown is a terminating service, so the above procedure is better represented by the second train and subsequent trains.

*I didn't know the departure warnings were different for up and down trains. This procedure is also followed at Yokohama Station, which also has platform supervisors working from elevated podiums.

• Like 1

This is done because the platform  is curved and the conductor(guard) can't see all the door lights.  So the platform supervisor signals that all the door lights have been turned off and all the doors are closed. That ensures that nobody is stuck in the doors. That does happen. The conductor then hits the buzzer.

The use of this procedure could mean that the door indicators are not routed to the cabs? A few mirrors or camera-monitor pairs and in cab door indication would allow one man operation without platform supervisors and conductors. I'm surprised that a for profit company doesn't try to reduce personel costs. On the other hand, very little automation seems like a tradition on many japanese lines. Are there any other companies which also have platform supervisors in this role?

The use of this procedure could mean that the door indicators are not routed to the cabs? A few mirrors or camera-monitor pairs and in cab door indication would allow one man operation without platform supervisors and conductors. I'm surprised that a for profit company doesn't try to reduce personel costs. On the other hand, very little automation seems like a tradition on many japanese lines.

I suggest you visit a few stations like this and observe, it might make it obvious why a bunch of staff are needed to ensure smooth operations. Personally (having used that station regularly) I'm glad this Japanese line has this "tradition".

Are there any other companies which also have platform supervisors in this role?

I think you really need to visit Japan and spend some time at major stations observing platform operations, particularly at rush hour.

• Like 1

Still, it would be great if someone explained it. Visiting Japan is not really an option for me right now. I do see the reason, but fail to understand why automation is not used. Some japanese lines operate driverless and have very good track record with safety, so it's tecnically doable. One man semi autonomus operation would seem like a good point costwise.

Well, put it this way: there are a lot of people using trains in the Tokyo area. A lot. Naturally they tend to concentrate at certain key interchange stations, like this one. Which is also one of the main routes to Haneda airport, so constantly busy throughout the day. It's a long station (up to 12 cars long) on a curve, as with many stations which have gradually expanded, not as spacious as it really needs to be. There's a frequent train service, including regular coupling/decoupling/terminating of trains.

No way a driver looking at monitors from the extreme end of the platform is going to be able to safely operate boarding/doors closing. Or even a guard. The "cost" of additional platform staff is unavoidable, but compared to the numbers of passengers handled, probably quite insignificant. Rest assured, less busy stations on the line have far fewer staff, in the case of local service-only stations with shorter trains and a good line of sight down the platform possibly as little as a single person.

Tokyo Metro does now have driver-only operation on some lines, but there are still platform staff to oversee boarding.

It is a very similar way to the way we do it here in my railway.  But the boarding lights are supplemented for a extra whistle buy the platform staff given right of way.

Thanks! I was comparing it to my local experience, where one man operation in the ungerground is in use since its opening in 1896 (aka. late 19th century). Today most metro lines are automated and supervised only by the drivers and one line is running completly driver (and guard) free, including only CTC staff supervising most stations. There are no platform doors, just IR beams that detect anyone around (or going orver) the platform edge. The same IR technology is used on longer trams and even on modern trolleybuses. (this is the same technology used in lifts to prevent the doors closing on someone) So i actually grown up with no guards or platform staff anywhere on public transit, just the occasional fare control personal around exits.

The older manual departure operation is the following: the driver pushes the departure signal button, then the close door button, waits for the departure signal to clear indicating door closure (on older systems manually opening the doors back after some time when the signal doesn't clear because something migh be stuck in them), then driving off when the signal clears and if there is a platform edge sensor it must show unoccupied. Modern door control systems handle the opening back automatically and only at the actual door where there is an obstruction and try not to close when they sense something in the door. Even the announcement 'please stand clear of the platform edge' is automatic and in multiple languages when the IR barrier is broken by someone. The philosophy behind this might be that if you trust a lift door not to close on you, then you can trust the metro doors to work the same way. It's rather boring, especially for drivers as most metro drivers are just pressing the next station buttons all day.

bikkuri bahn

Keikyu also has a tradition of partially automated operations- not full remote, but rather with a human element at specific busy points.  For example, the CTC system is not centered in one operations room, but divided among operating districts.  The thinking is the combined years of experience of railway staff working as close as possible to the operating environment (genba) will beat out full automation when you are running a very intensive service in competition with JR East. 

*edit: to add, I think I may have posted this before, but Keikyu must be doing its job well, as last autumn they received recognition from the MLIT, in the form of the "special award for achievement of advanced & stable transport".  Mentioned by the MLIT was Keikyu's management philosophy of "the human advantage" [人間優位] or "ningenyuai".

http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/001105940.pdf

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Interesting procedure! That utilises quite a fair amount of manpower though...

By the way, did the conductor NOT close his cab door at 03:08 before moving off? It seems the door is still open!

By the way, did the conductor NOT close his cab door at 03:08 before moving off? It seems the door is still open!

Keikyū is a big blue collar serving railway, producing a bit of a macho culture, which -in general- can be found almost everywhere in a blue collar environment. Hence, many aspects of the job are approached with a bit of a high-energy attitude. Some staff like to do their job with a bit more flair than others. I'm not sure this is allowed, but you see it often enough, so it's either tolerated or just non-standard practice.

bikkuri bahn

I have in the past seen guards/conductors leave the cab door open while the train starts from a station quite often, even here in Sapporo on the subway lines- the telltale slam of the heavy door audible well after the train has begun moving.

What is wrong with his door being open?  He is doing his job and watching for any issues while the train is departing.  This is done in almost all railways across the globe.

• Like 1

What katoftw said.  If he closed the door, he couldn't stand in the doorway and see down the length of the train.  Most of the issues happen in the first few seconds when the train is still in the station and the conductor might have to stop the train in a hurry and get outside the train. So he keeps the door open.

Hhmm... Great replies, especially Toni's one relating to macho'lism~ I never saw it that way! Interesting!

Not entirely wrong, just felt that it might be quite a safety hazard, since in Japan they are always emphasizing on safety. But I guess with these explanations I can only give credit to Keikyu for placing the safety of its commuters first and above the safety of their staff, which is what training and customer service is all about! Kudos!

Just that I realise a lot of JR conductors procedure when they arrive at the station:

1) Train stop - point at floor and clock

2) Open door and step outside

3) Look at watch and clock

4) Press the departure melody button to start melody

5) Press the button again to stop melody

6) Point at clock and assure all commuters are away from door

7) Step into cabin

8) Close cabin door

9) Close all train doors

10) Ascertain all doors closed and Signal driver to move off 

11) Poke head out of window while train moves off