Going Japanese in Melbourne

Smallrailbs

Smallrailbs

Hi from Outer Melbourne. I am new to Japanese N and have been collecting rolling stock that I have found cheap for almost 12 months. I have built a small room onto my house to house a couple of small layouts.

Some time ago I came across an American layout on YouTube called Citys Edge. I hope to create a similiar thing in N. On it I can sit watch the trains run. Switching in N does not interest me in this scale, but on the opposite side of the room will be my HO switching layout. Heres what I have done so far.post-3291-1460288648271_thumb.jpgpost-3291-1460288690037_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Looks good.  There's a few of us around Melbourne as the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group, so if you in the area, we'll be exhibiting next Sunday the 17th at Frankston High School as part of the Japanese Festival that's on.  Come and say hi if you can.

Smallrailbs

Sounds good. Will try and make it. I want to meet other people involved in Japanese model railways.

Hi Smallrailbs

I don't have a lot of switching on my layout but I enjoy watching the trains going around the layout continuous.

Hey smallrailbs,

Glad you found us! Yes N scale is nice to watch trains run in smaller spaces! Looking forward to seeing your layouts Row!

Cheers

Jeff

Smallrailbs

Looks good. There's a few of us around Melbourne as the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group, so if you in the area, we'll be exhibiting next Sunday the 17th at Frankston High School as part of the Japanese Festival that's on. Come and say hi if you can.

Where at the school and what are exhibition times ?My car has broken down, wiĺl have to see if wifes car is available after lunch. I live in Drouin.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

We'll be at the Frankston High School Senior Campus, Foot Street, Frankston.  10am - 4pm.

More information here: http://www.frankston-susono.com/

If you can't make it, we'll also be exhibiting at the Waverley Model Railway Exhibition (Brandon Park, Glen Waverley) over the Queen's Birthday weekend.

Smallrailbs

Nothing more done for a while. I have 'railway block'. I need to make the layout on shorter an narrower modules. I may have to ditch viaduct track and model suburban lines. I am looking for design app to come up with track plan and then I can purchase the right unitrack.

Bernie

Look for either SCARM or Anyrail, to assist in track plan design.

Kato also has lots of track plans on their website, as well as the various threads on this website for inspiration.

Smallrailbs

Many thank will look into these options. I am being a new micro layout in order to try new things, be able to finish a project in a short time and have a small portable display layout that I can exhibit sometime. It will be a simple loop with a couple of sidings and an elevated tram loop around a town scene.

Smallrailbs

Plan is to use leftover bits and do it on a budget. Mixing flexi and Kato track is not ideal, but I think it will look ok once finished.

Bernie

• Like 1

Bernie,

Great start! Yep when on a budge mixing and matching up what you have is great. Little extra work, but gets you having something to play with and that's the important thing!

Will be fun to watch come together.

Cheers,

Jeff

Smallrailbs

Had a couple of hours to work on layout tonight. Added cardboard packing under Peco track and painted it grey. So with some creative ballast it will look very similiar to the Kato. I much prefer the simplicity and good running benefits of Kato,and I am hopeless at ballasting points properly, but I had these points and a bit of flexi leftover so decided not to waste them. The only money spent has been on a tram loop set (on order from Plaza Japan)to add post-3291-14634039730619_thumb.jpgto my existing one to have a longer run for my Unitram around the town scene on the upper level. Apart from this I will use what I have already collected.

Bernie

Nice start Bernie. I picked up a basic tram loop set recently from Hobby Search sale and was impressed with the look and performance. I want to integrate it into my Tomytec bus system at some stage for a small module.

Hi Bernie.....nice start. How do you like working with Peco track? My layout has a mixture if Atlas & Peco flex track.

Smallrailbs

In N scale I find it fiddly to say the least. Trackwork is my least favourite task. I get frustrated if my rolling stock doesn't run well. Track cleaning is also a pet hate , I recently bought a Tomix cleaning car to help with this. Future projects will use Unitrack exclusively.

Bernie

Smallrailbs

A little progress made. I made template and cut ply for town scene and tramway. Needs a little more trimming or banks will be too steep.

Bernie

Smallrailbs

Last few nights have had some time on scenery. Have ensured both train and tram runs well. I would appreciate any members of the Australian club contacting me about joining the group. Would like to exhibit it sometime. I like small portable projects.