Your Avatar, how did you come to choose it?

I always look forward to see if Aaron has changed his Avatar and try to guess what it's going to be next. I used to hope he would do it at the 1st of every month just as a reminder to me not to forget to buy a Month Rail pass for my commute to work.

Now I look forward to being surprised.  :grin

Thanks for keeping me guessing. You should have a collection of your retired Avatars.

(I put this into Photography because they're photos and this platform has the least amount of threads.)

I went from a 4 month rotation to a 3 month rotation, but for ya Bernard, I'll go monthly. Not like I have any shortages of icons to use.

I always try to guess what line it will be with your new one, now I have to add animal, vegetable or mineral. :cheesy

Typically I never used the line below the icon until the last one which read Red Express simply to state what train it was though I might have used it on the FasTec 360. Thought about using the custom title filed too, might still do it.

I almost put this icon up to a vote, then thought better of it, LOL.

Have dozens I can add to the selection list of the default icons. Always thoguht we should get rid of all those un-related icon sets we have like Sci-Fi characters or musicians. Like who the hell is going to use the Lindsey Lohan icon!?

I started a thread about Aaron's Avatar because he changes it frequently and I'm always checking to see what surprise he has in store for us.

Then I noticed that Mark changed his Avatar which looks really classy and now I'm curious if there is a story behind it.

So how did I get my Avatar? The 500 Shinkansen is my favorite train and the first Japanese model train set I bought. Gee, that was an easy (and dull) explanation.

marknewton

Not really Bernard, I just thought it would be good to have an avatar that was more obviously Japanese and railroady, since not everyone would recognise my old tram avatar as a Sendai or Nagasaki tramcar.

I also thought it was better to have one that was square rather than rectangular, it seems to look better to me. So I took my new avatar from I photo I had of a level crossing somewhere in Shikoku.

All the best,

Mark.

I started out with an illustration of a Minobu-line 115, which was the first Japanese train I bought. But I didn't like the drawing all that much as an avatar, and after a while I found this "to the trains" icon. I liked it because it was clearly an EMU and included the pantograph. The background was originally in blue, so I changed to my favorite dark red.

disturbman

Mine is the first good photo of a Japanese train I ever made... and incidently he runs - sometime - in my kitchen.

I will maybe change it soon.

CaptOblivious

Mine is a photo of my Kato N-scale KIHA110, because I think it's a damned handsome little DMU.

if all that is not a coming out!

Not sure I follow your meaning.

I choose mine to represent where I am living and just like the Toronto Rocket, it is all out in the open!  :grin

SubwayHypes

My avatar is a photo shot from inside San Francisco's Duboce Tunnel, there are little cubbies every 10 yards or so, so that you can hide in them while the trains run past, then emerge and walk through this tunnel of urban underground art.  The tunnel has since been fitted with motion detectors and painted over with grey paint frequently so it is no longer a destination of mine. 

mine is good olde astro boy from a pict i shot of the statue of him in the bus plaza of kyoto station.

cheers,

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

I took the photo in my avatar at Tokyo station whilst on holiday in Japan last May. We were about to take the bullet from Tokyo to Kyoto. I rather liked this picture, although we actually travelled on a 700 series as opposed to the 300 pictured....