New Shinjuku Station Highway Bus Terminal opens, April 4

bikkuri bahn

With the same amout of people per bus than a long distance railway car, that's around 266 six car long distance trains or 133 train arrival/departure pairs daily. (or 33.25 twelve cars trains split along the way) I understand that these 160000 passengers daily is not worth to be carried by rail, but it's still a large number. The logistics to get so many people and 800 buses daily in and out of downtown Tokyo is huge.

Replacing, I believe, 29 adhoc bus stops in the vicinity of the station.

Also: the bus/taxi terminal part is built entirely over the southern approach lines to Shinjuku station, with no disruption to services (that I'm aware of) at all, thought it has taken the better part of a decade to build.

Replacing, I believe, 29 adhoc bus stops in the vicinity of the station.

Also: the bus/taxi terminal part is built entirely over the southern approach lines to Shinjuku station, with no disruption to services (that I'm aware of) at all, thought it has taken the better part of a decade to build.

This is what the southern exit area looked like before construction started:

dc00097-6011b.jpg

Well, a loooong time before construction started ;)

• Like 3

Interesting... Shinjuku again? Wow... it is the busiest train AND bus station in the world now... If one would like to get lost in a station, Shinjuku is the place to go!  :)

I assume that's from the '60s, but do you have an exact year?  Maybe could be a still from a Nikkatsu movie :grin

Unfortunately not, but I guess mid/late 60s.

For anyone needing orientation, that's looking southwards towards Yoyogi, the goods sheds on the left are where the Takashimaya department store is now. No platforms on the Yamanote freight lines (i.e. Saikyo/Shonan Shinjuku line  and Narita Express platforms).

Interesting... Shinjuku again? Wow... it is the busiest train AND bus station in the world now... If one would like to get lost in a station, Shinjuku is the place to go!  :)

I've been using it for the better part of 25 years (eek!) and still keep coming across passageways and stairwells I was unaware of. And that's just in the station complex, the connected passageways in the area surrounding the station are something else altogether.

On the news this morning they said there will be a new, uniform signage system introduced in 2017.