Hanshin Amagasaki Station "warp"

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

...Or rather the Amagasaki stargate? Anyway, at this station, up trains utilize a cross-platform transfer between limited expresses/expresses on the Hanshin mainline and trains going on the Hanshin Namba Line. What makes this unique is a local train is traversed by passengers to do this, saving them the bother of using two flights of stairs, and also minimizing the dwell time of the Namba bound train.

• Like 4
bikkuri bahn

That's a new one :).  Can we assume that Hanshin intends for passengers to do that?

Yes, the announcements in trains approaching Amagasaki tell the passengers bound for Namba and points beyond to do just that. It throws off some non-Kansai visitors, as it's not done elsewhere, AFAIK.  For Kansai people it's nothing really novel, as they are already used to having both doors open on terminating trains at stub-end terminals, which are in abundance in Kansai. 

Happens regularly at Nishikujo on the Osaka Loop Line. Did it myself when in Osaka last week

Edited by yakumo381
bikkuri bahn

Yes, though I think that is more to let passengers off either the clockwise or counterclockwise loop line trains to board the Yumesaki Line train, rather than to use that train as a passage to the other platform.  Of course, a railfan can use that time when both doors are open to catch a loop line train in the opposite direction.

Very interesting! I don't think that this kind of operation would work in the Kanto area, nor can I think (at the moment) of any station where this would work... I think it's because of the Kanto area isn't very prone to make such concessions.

From a personal rail fan point of view: super awesome!

The closest you get is e.g. at Takadanobaba on the Seibu Shinjuku line, where inbound trains during the rush hour open doors on both sides, and passengers will sometimes cross back through the train while it's still standing to get to the more convenient side (which varies depending on where you want to go next).

• Like 1