Turnback operations on the mainline

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

One of my favorite railway scenes is the mid route turnback operation, typically done by a local train that doesn't traverse the whole route, but rather only serves the most heavily patronized portion. On the the heavily trafficked, heavily built up routes, typically a pair of pocket tracks is provided, and thus is not as interesting. What is interesting is when a portion of the down mainline is used for the turnback, with a bit of wrong way running before the crossover is traversed.

Last week I was on the Nishitetsu Omuta Line, and observed such a movement at Futsukaichi Station. Unfortunately, no video exists for this particular moment at this location, but a similar one is shown here, at Ogori Station, involving a now retired 2000 series:

I've posted this before, same type of movement on the Meitetsu Main Line at Higashi Okazaki:

Another scene I witnessed at Joyo Station on the JR Nara Line. This involves a pocket track, but it's on a single track main, so it maintains some interest (starting at 3:00):

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 7