The last two days marked the end of express train services through the Seikan Tunnel.

The overnight trains Cassiopeia and Hamanasu, as well as Limited Express trains Hakucho and Super Hakucho ceased operation between March 21st & 22nd.

Quite a touching photo:

ZCqDW7R.jpg?1

The driver of Hakucho 93 is hugging his 485-3000 series upon arrival at Hakodate Station. @sim4ht20

The 485 series EMUs are likely to be cut up whilst the 785 & 789 series trains are expected to be used on other Limited Express services.

Passenger services will resume from March 26th with the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen.

FFAwbwz.png?1

Thank you Seikan Express!

Edited by Suica
  • Like 6

I wonder how they are getting people from Honshu to Hokkaido and vice versa during the coming days.. ferry and airplane only?

• Like 2

I wonder how they are getting people from Honshu to Hokkaido and vice versa during the coming days.. ferry and airplane only?

I thought the same. Apparently...

post-3895-0-29884700-1458671167_thumb.pngpost-3895-0-90785200-1458671184_thumb.png

The second routing is especially great.

Or you can make it to Hakodate/Aomori by ferry in less than 4 hours http://www.tsugarukaikyo.co.jp/global/english/casualcruise/

I guess hotels in Hakodate and Aomori make some good money these days.

Though it makes me wonder if it's not common in Japan to work in another city so that you have to use a train every day?

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm wondering especially about the Honshu <-> Hokkaido commuters. For tourists or people paying family a visit or so, it's just a one-time longer and more inconvenient journey thing. As a commuter, maybe you could stay at a hotel near the office for a week or something, but aside from that I don't see another option.

My guess is that the ferry will get quite a few new customers and will probably keep them. It takes a bit longer, but you can take your car too.

My guess is that the ferry will get quite a few new customers and will probably keep them. It takes a bit longer, but you can take your car too.

Which is ironic considering that the Seikan Tunnel was built specifically to end most of the ferry service between Aomori and Hakodate. Now, we may end up with increased patronage of the ferries between Aomori and Hakodate all over again.

Yes, but why are they retiring the sets so early, I mean, like 3 days more to the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen... Couldn't they waited for 3 more days before retiring so that at least there is an option to travel to Hokkaido?

I really liked the photo of the conductor hugging the train... Very touching...

I assume there's a shutdown to put the final touches on the tunnel?

I don't think so. Everything is already in order and has been tested several times.

Plus that would mean you'd have to stop freight operations as well which could be quite a problem, especially for Hokkaido.

Being the pessimistic person I am, I had to research what negative effects the Hokkaido Shinkansen has on other train services. This is what I came up with using Wikipedia and the JR Hokkaido website:

Tsugaru Line
Between Aomori - Tsugaru-Imabetsu* no expresses any more via Kanita**. Coming from Kanita going to Hokkaido extra transfer necessary at Tsugaru-Imabetsu.

*Tsugaru-Imabetsu is officially on the Kaikyō Line.
**Wikipedia says Okunai and Gōsawa were also express stops, but the JR Hokkaido website says they weren't.

Kaikyō Line
Stations closed: Tappi-Kaitei, Yoshioka-Kaitei and Shiriuchi.

Esashi Line:
No limited expresses any more at Goryōkaku: to Hakodate or Kikonai via local, to Honshu transfer at Kikonai.

So the bottom line is that really only people commuting from one of the three closed stations will have trouble commuting to the other side of the Tsugaru Strait now. People using one of the few stations now without expresses are a bit less unlucky, but the journey on the local train will probably get rid of any time advantage the Shinkansen could have for them. Let's hope they get a relatively hassle free transfer at least.

All above is not taking into account the higher prices for Shinkansen tickets. That's gonna be a lot of money going into the drain if you're commuting through the Seikan Tunnel every day. Although you're saving time with it. (How much actually?)

Very strange then to have all the expresses down for 3 days.

Maybe they have hired some Queensland Rail consultants.

So the bottom line is that really only people commuting from one of the three closed stations will have trouble commuting to the other side of the Tsugaru Strait now. People using one of the few stations now without expresses are a bit less unlucky, but the journey on the local train will probably get rid of any time advantage the Shinkansen could have for them. Let's hope they get a relatively hassle free transfer at least.

All above is not taking into account the higher prices for Shinkansen tickets. That's gonna be a lot of money going into the drain if you're commuting through the Seikan Tunnel every day. Although you're saving time with it. (How much actually?)

Dont overthink it.  Very little would commute through the seikan tunnel.

Also a lot of those line had decreasing ridership, so services were gonna be cut anyway.

I don't think so. Everything is already in order and has been tested several times.

Plus that would mean you'd have to stop freight operations as well which could be quite a problem, especially for Hokkaido.

Everything has stopped through the seikan tunnel according to JRE and JRK documents.

They have give people over 6 months notice of this closure.  So travelers have had plenty of time to make arrangements.

Dont overthink it.  Very little would commute through the seikan tunnel.

Also a lot of those line had decreasing ridership, so services were gonna be cut anyway.

You may be right on that. I don't think there were many people using the stations now closed beforehand, and I doubt there are many people that really are negatively affected by the abolishment of the expresses through the Seikan Tunnel. There just aren't that much people living up there. In the end, I think there are more advantages than disadvantages to the introduction of the Hokkaido Shinkansen.

Edited by Densha

Well, the main benefit of the Shinkansen is the increase of tourists coming from the Tokyo area. For example, everything about Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station is very tourist oriented (except the fact that it's about 15km away from the city).

Personally I think it's a bit of a shame, as I absolutely love limited express trains. Shinkansen are usually cool and all as well, but the E5/H5 series is not for me.

At least the tourist crowd that in the past had to go and change trains in both cities (Hakodate and Aomori) will avoid them now as they can change at Shin Hakodate only and go straight to Sapporo. Local people could still use the more direct buses and the ferry too.

(imho the stations that were closed before/because of the double gauging weren't on the list above, at least a whole line is missing and some other ones too)

A friend from Japan was nice enough to help me find an answer to the question why passenger services are halted for four days and what the alternate way of transport is.

jpInGXE.png

post-3895-0-70310000-1458901957_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-07130200-1458901969_thumb.jpg

I love the Engrish here. "22th" :tongue3:

Edited by Suica
  • Like 2

The Hokkaido Shinkansen is finally on Hyperdia so it must be true.

The opening day excitement should have died down by September so I can get a seat.

bikkuri bahn

The morning news had live coverage of the first departures from both Tokyo and Shin Hakodate Stations. Also the JR group companies had their new timetables come into effect today, almost two weeks later than usual, due to the Hokkaido Shinkansen opening.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3