Nanpu limited express-Green class and driver's eye view

Steve4031

I am planning a ride on the Nanpu limited express from Okayama to Kochi and return.  I have seen youtube videos of a driver's eye view of the trip which leads me to believe that passengers have access to this view. 

How crowded are the Nanpu limited express services in the middle of the day?  In the videos all of the stations seem to be very lightly used when the train pulls in. 

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

The view is likely taken from the vestibule, which is between the passenger section and the drivers area.  Midday trains, as long as it's not a holiday period or weekend, are likey to be not so full.

What are you seeing that makes it world class?  I'd love to go to Kochi and ride the tramway.  But the 3 hours to and from just make it unwarranted.  Unless there is more I'm missing?

Thank you.  Based on the youtube video I was looking at this is a world class train ride. 

The scenery is great and there will be a lot of variety to it.  Get some katsuo tataki in Kochi :)

5603_02.gif

The western section is so unique to anything I have seen in Japan.  You'd still think it was 1950s.  Single line, no separation from cars, stations without platforms.

Edited by katoftw

Kaftow, thank you for your assistance.  How much is a round trip ticket on the Kochi tram to Ino?  I looked on their website and it is in Japanese so I am unable to determine the fare.  I am assuming a Suica card would not work here.  What are the headways on the line to IIno. Is it frequent enough that we can just ride and not worry about long headways, or do we need to carefully coordinate with the schedule.  Thank you. 

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KOCHIEKIMAE&arv_node=INO(TRAMWAY)&via_node01=&via_node02=&via_node03=&year=2016&month=03&day=18&hour=12&minute=00&search_type=0&search_way=&transtime=undefined&sort=0&max_route=5&faretype=0&ship=off&lmlimit=null&search_target=route&facility=reserved&sum_target=7

Kochi-Ekimae to Harimayabashi = every 3 to 6 minutes (now transfer trams)

Harimayabashi to Kagamiwabashi (half way to Ino) = every 6 to 7 minutes

Kagamiwabashi to Ino = every 21 minutes (some are through services from last leg)

If you use hyperdia in the link above.  You can click on the interval link and it will show all the trains for said day of travel between those 2 stations.  You can also select days of travel and times etc.  Also helpful google map links for station locations and surrounds.

To me it looks like with transfers, and a bit of walking around and meal times.  Maybe 3 hours needs to be left to allow a safe return.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5603.html

Edited by katoftw

There also was a thread about the old rail yard that was at the Tramway Ino Station.  But I cannot find it.  Interesting little bit of history in that thread if you can find it.  I had a quick search but was unable to locate.

Thanks katoftw. I added this into my trip. It didn't occur to me that hyperdia would have tram schedules. Can I use suica on these trams?

I answered my own question. You can buy day passes in the bus station for 1600. I think there is a tram only day pass for 1000 if you buy at tram station. I'm riding the tram now. Awesome. Thank you.

Mudkip Orange

Nice find. This little curve here, where the highway has been straightened out but the interurban still follows a presumably older alignment... you could add that to almost any layout.

• Like 1