JNS world tour train?

cteno4

In the UK, duty is charged on gifts exceeding £34 and other goods over £15. It's not the duty that's usually the annoying part but the admin and handling charges that the postal company imposes on items over this allowance.

Well we can add to the idea if folks do decals we can have the repository of digital files for folks to print out their own locally. Could even mail a set of decals in an envelope to those who can't easily print out their own decals if they want to make their own set locally. Also digital files could get sent to someone along the way add a place to the train if it's too worrisome shipping the cars there.

I would love to get digital files from folks to make a set here for the jrm layout as it would be a great way to talk to the public about the worldwide flavor of the hobby.

Jeff

I like the container idea with each painting a container for their layout/club/country.

No trouble with taxes in Australia on gifts, or new model trains under $1000, so we could go last as the train grows in length, (please no one show the above posts to the Australia Tax Office).  It would be nice if the whole train could appear at each show so spectators could see everywhere it's been.

Hogarakadou does make blank containers (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10345003 & http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10288878) that can be used for this, so 3D printing is not necessary. The containers aren't in stock at HS currently, but maybe another shop has them still available. You just need some decals for the logo then. The only thing I want to note is that I'm not sure whether Hogarakadou containers are interchangeable with Tomix/Kato KoKi's and containers, to prevent ending up with containers not fitting on any KoKi.

I use Hogarakadou containers on Kato, Tomix and Micro Ace kokis, all makes of containers and kokis seem to fit together ok.

• Like 1

Sorry i ran out of steam there on the project. I had asked Toni if he might be up to doing the JNS container(s) to start it off with. would be fun to have something more than just the logo which is not all that dramatic! Ill poke toni to see if he is still into doing this.

we still need to work out the basics. i think keeping added containers to the smallest size wise so the train does not grow too much for shipping.

ill go back thru the list and cull the folks that were interested to start a list.

we were thinking folks could either just photo it on their layout and pass along or also add a custom container if they wanted to be creative.

jeff

Edited by cteno4

the kato containers usually are the cheapest per and can get the paint soaked off with a soaking in isopropyl alcohol. these are cheaper than the blank container solutions, but a little work with a toothbrush to clean them. had to do this to make JRM containers for Mr Kato so it would not be on the blank tomix ones we had used for the big batch!

so if someone just wants to add a container they could sacrafice an extra one laying around w.o having to buy particular blanks to do it.

jeff

Sorry i ran out of steam there on the project. I had asked Toni if he might be up to doing the JNS container(s) to start it off with. would be fun to have something more than just the logo which is not all that dramatic! Ill poke toni to see if he is still into doing this.

we still need to work out the basics. i think keeping added containers to the smallest size wise so the train does not grow too much for shipping.

ill go back thru the list and cull the folks that were interested to start a list.

we were thinking folks could either just photo it on their layout and pass along or also add a custom container if they wanted to be creative.

jeff

It would be nice if each participant added their own name or club logo to a container if they were able to.

It might possible to just ship the containers if a particpant had enough kokis to put them on.

Martijn Meerts

Could try to make 1 or 2 'official' cars with 1 container on it, pass that one along, and let people use the car as part of their own train. If you want to keep track of where it's been, you could just add a form of sorts which people can fill out with the country and date on it etc.

Of course, if people want to add a container, that's entirely possible as well, or maybe add a simple, custom painted box car instead of a container, so that in the end you have a complete train. Only question is, once the train has been everywhere, what will happen to it? :)

Also, for the initial purchase of car(s) and container(s), we could use some of the donated money. Not sure what the best way is to make an official JNSForum container/car though

Davo Dentetsu

Trying to revive this by posting a photoshop of a Tomix KoKi with JNS container:

attachicon.gifJNS-container_Tomix-KoKi.jpg

Any chance of a larger downloadable JPEG for the Facebook group page banner?   :)

Edited by Azumanga Davo

Any chance of a larger downloadable JPEG for the Facebook group page banner?   :)

Nope. I used a photo from the official Tomix website, and as they don't provide larger image sizes you're going to have to do with this size. :(

Also, for the initial purchase of car(s) and container(s), we could use some of the donated money. Not sure what the best way is to make an official JNSForum container/car though

There's a Dutch guy called Bart Claessen. He does custom paintjobs. http://www.lokpaint.com/bilder.html

I just don't know if he does N-gauge too nor how much that would cost.

There's a Dutch guy called Bart Claessen. He does custom paintjobs. http://www.lokpaint.com/bilder.html

I just don't know if he does N-gauge too nor how much that would cost.

I don't really think that is necessary. We can just start with a single ordinary KoKi and a DIY custom container. It's not that difficult to paint a container and add a logo to it. It may then not be professional quality, but to me this is about the fun rather than perfection.

Also, people adding containers is nice, but something to consider is that the amount of containers and KoKi's don't get out of hand. It's so much easier to keep it at simple so that transportation stays easy over time and that it stays possible to run on any layout, whatever maximum train length the layout may have. Although I may be overthinking this now, I think it's smart to keep this in mind.

Edited by Densha

Glad to see this idea still alive! If anything, I'm also still up for making a design for this project as well. Either a refurbishment of the logo, mascot, complete overhaul and/or whatever else comes up.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Perhaps just sending containers would be best and let folks just pop them on some kokis. this would reduce shipping and potential damage to the cars as well (containers are pretty tough).

I would be game to print up decals and make the first one to get the ball rolling and pass it on.

Ongoing costs for participating members would be shipping to the next person at probably $5-10 and adding a local club/layout/personal container to the mix if they choose to do so.

we can try to send around w/in countries as much as possible to reduce the number of more expensive international jumps.

It is a good question of where it all ends up in the end if folks add containers. we could just keep it going, but im sure at some point it will poop out...

I could also make some extras of the JNS container for sale as well, but with the cost of the container and shipping it wont make any real money for the JNS fund, so perhaps just making the digital copies of the decals available will let folks make their own JNS containers locally. 

We could think of doing this all digital with no shipping by just having folks make JNS containers locally and take picture of it on their layout and then that is the things that is posted.

jeff

I'm not sure what it is for others, but for me personally sending containers without KoKis doesn't do it because I don't own a single KoKi myself. If we just keep it in the original plastic case it also will stay safe while shipping internationally.

You know, I really like the idea of people adding containers, I'd like to do so myself as well, but I'm just not sure what to do with them in the long run. I have the feeling that the amount of containers will quickly increase and that we'll need a 10-car KoKi train for them, haha. Maybe if we say that people only add small containers? (such as these) The JNS container should obviously be a larger container (this size, for example), but if we decide upon personal containers being only small containers, it should be somewhat more doable. You can fit five small containers on a regular KoKi or three containers of the second size I mentioned (and also used in my photoshop).

What about this? We get one KoKi we will ship along with the containers, so that people who don't own a KoKi can still run at least the JNS container around their layout. All other personal containers will be small containers that people can put on their own KoKis, if they have any.

Another way of doing this, is simply scratching the whole personal container thing and just going with a KoKi + official JNS container that people can run along their layout. It's less personal, but also easier to organize.

Don't own one koki?  That is madness! haha

You did bring up some good points.  I never though of others not owning kokis.  And yes depending on how many containers begin to get added.  The size of the parcel to ship and the number of kokis may get out of hand.

I think the 9ft size containers would be better than the 5ft size container for allow viewable painted sides.  I just think the 5ft ones are too small to detail anything without pro painting gear.  But the 9ft containers only allow 3 per koki.  And could get extreme in length very quickly.

The 19D are 12' wide and plenty of room to do a lot easily. The jrm logo and got Shinkansen (secondary jrm mascot logo) fits fine on them. Best way to decorate these containers is to just ink jet print on decal paper.

If we are going to be adding containers then we would need to keep the containers as small as possible.

I'm starting to think the simplest may be to just ship around the JNS container. That could be done in the cheapest shipping and not get folks into having to feel like creating custom containers to add or winding up shipping a bunch of kokis as well. Plus we still need to figure out what would happen to the train at the end of the run.

Jeff

Me neither have a single Koki, so I would also vote for sending one container and a koki car, but of course I can order a wagon for myself, just to have something to put the JNS container on it.

I don't think that adding extra containers is neccessary, we should stay with the original idea: to everyone have the same JNS car on his layout and share pictures about it with the others.