Kato 10-433 E257 motor died...

JR 500系

Guys I need some help.

While testing, my Kato 10-433 E257 Kaiji motor has died... It is not moving in any way at all. Can I ask if there is any place to get a replacement? I tried to find and got 4491B as a part number, but it's really difficult to get Kato spares from online stores...

Thanks in advance!

Das Steinkopf

How much running of this train have you done and also did it physically burn out where you could smell it, it's a pity that it's not running as I like the E257 Azusa they are quite a nice train.

How much running of this train have you done and also did it physically burn out where you could smell it, it's a pity that it's not running as I like the E257 Azusa they are quite a nice train.

I cant be sure as it was bought as a USED set, but it did run when I first got it from the seller... No smells whatsoever though.. Just strangely not running as I tested yesterday, with 3 controllers...

ask nariichi or dave?

btw have you tried running the motor only?

Yap that's exactly what I did. I have this habit of running just the motor car only to make sure it is working before I start connecting the full train together...

I might try asking them but I was hopping for an easier solution... I think there are repair services in Japan, as I am really weak at electronics...  

Yap that's exactly what I did. I have this habit of running just the motor car only to make sure it is working before I start connecting the full train together...

I think he meant the electric motor itself, after you removed it from the car. If that works, the problem might be somewhere around the pickups.

First thing I'd do is whip the body off and apply power from a 9v battery to various pickups/contacts to see if the motor still moves, which would point to a pickups/contact issue, removing the motor only as a last resort.

(If you do do that, photograph each step in taking it apart, it makes it so much easier to work out how to put it all back together).

Das Steinkopf

As mentioned by others it could be an issue with the pick ups, check for the usual suspects such as loose connections, dust, grime and oxidisation on the contacts as this can cause a degree of resistance, also is your lighting board still working as that forms part of the circuit for the motor. I repaired my EH200 recently which had a couple of issues, the main one being dodgy terminal lugs on the motor, one of the lighting boards was an issue as well as the protection diode fried itself, after I replaced the board and crimped the terminals properly she runs like a dream. Also as noted by Squid take plenty of photo's as you strip her down as it takes the guess work out of where to put the parts when reassembling.

It's usually fairly easy to pop the bogies out of a Kato chassis, just beware the driveshafts as they're prone to escape attempts. If you take the bodyshell off you should be able to see how they're held in. Do that, then try spinning the motor manually. If it spins, try putting a couple of test leads on the pickups and see if it moves.

Check the bogies aren't jammed by turning the driveshaft UJ cup manually, they should rotate smoothly.

I've had some trouble with motors in models which evidently spent a long time on the shelf before I bought them, in those cases a tiny drop of oil on each motor bearing and the bearings for the worm drives in the bogies will work wonders. Give it a good long run afterwards in both directions at a variety of speeds.

Hi JR500 san,

Hope you have done the above advice and got the result.. yeah, I also did the same, open the body frame and take out the motor from the chassis and test it by connecting the motor poles directly with Kato/Tomix controller output or with 9V battery and see if this works..

Normally the issue is only about pickups.. if they get oiled, clean them with contact cleaner..

Funny thing is, I ever thought the same that the motor died and when I opened the body and chassis, I noted that the motor's small springs that serves as pickups from metal plates somehow just came out of its position... no wonder there is no electricity to the motor.. :P

In addition, since this is Kato, if the motor really didn't work, then I should be more rest assured since finding Kato spare parts is easier than Tomix.. :) but I am sure you need to buy the whole chassis..

Edited by Robert46