Kyushu & Shikoku suggestions

Suica

Hi guys!

So this summer I'll finally go to Japan for the third time. Since I covered a lot of Honshu and Hokkaido on my previous trips, I'd like to focus on Kyushu and Shikoku this time.

I will go from August to September, equipped with a Japan Rail Pass most of the time.

I would mainly like to know which trains are worth checking out in your oppinion.

What I've planned so far would be riding the Sunrise Seto and the Yufuin no Mori.

Of course, recommendations on places to visit are also welcome!

Cheers!

• Like 1

If you take the Sunrise Seto from Tokyo, you'll arrive in Takamatsu, so you can get some udon and ride Kotoden's lines.  You could make your way west...

1. either in a direct manner via the Yosan Line
  2. or you could go down to Kochi
    1. directly via the Dosan Line
    2. or via Tokushima on the Kotoku and Tokushima Lines
    3. or going truly hardcore, taking the Mugi Line and Asa Kaigan Asato Line down to Kannoura, then taking a bus to Nahari Station to arrive in Kochi via the Tosa Kuroshio Railway
    4. Eat katsuo tataki in Kochi
  3. then on to Uwajima via the Yodo Line, then up to the Matsuyama area
  4. I knew some folks who took a ferry from somewhere around western Ehime over to Oita.  But, they said it wasn't super clean.

Sorry, the above outline format is totally messed up but I've spent 15 minutes making it, so I'm going to post it :) :grin

What kind of railway-related and non-railway-related stuff do you want to see?

• Like 2

Kyushu!

Nice ~ I've just been to Kyushu last year and it is filled with tourist/ joyful trains, so if you like these, you're in for a treat!

Here's some suggestions as to what to do in Kyushu:

1) Sand bathing in Beppu. This rocks! Totally revitalize your body after soaking in mud. Plus you get to ride the Sonic to Beppu from Hakata! 

2) Huis Ten Bosch? But it guess you might find this boring since it is a plastic version of Holland in Europe, but nevertheless fun. The views are nice and there is a nice ride on the SSL (Seaside Liner) along the sea to Huis Ten Bosch...

3) Histatsu Line - The famed combo of SL Hitoyoshi - Isaburo-Shinpei and Hayato-no-Kaze... A nice scenic ride aboard a SL, followed by mountain climb by the Isaburo and a nice cruise near the sea for the Hayato. A true route for train lovers!

4) Plus if you are heading towards Kyushu from Honshu, try riding the Eva 500 series to Hakata! That would be nice!  :)

Hoped that helped!

• Like 1

Mmmh Udon. Local food is always a good reward after a long train trip.

I guess I can make a good round trip from your recommendation.

Dosan Line to Kochi -> Yodo Line to Kita-Uwajima -> Yosan Line back to Takamatsu (on the Ishizuchi Ltd. Exp. maybe)

Riding the Shinkansen KiHa on the Yodo Line might be cool. :D

What kind of railway-related and non-railway-related stuff do you want to see?

I'm really open to all suggestions when it comes to sights.

Well, Shikoku has 9 castles that made the top 100 list published by the Japanese Castle Foundation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan's_Top_100_Castles#Shikoku_region

And of course there are all the individual temples of the 88 Temple Pilgrimage - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Pilgrimage

And WikiVoyage has a page about Shikoku - https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Shikoku

And it's not Shikoku, but if you're going to be in western Japan this summer, consider visiting the new railway museums opening in Kyoto and Tsuyama.  I'm sure we'll be discussing them on the forum.

• Like 1

@miyakoji Oho, it's my first time hearing about these museums. Definitely something for my list. Actually, I might finally go visit the Saitama Railway Museum too. Last time I couldn't, because Tokyo and Saitama were hit by massive snow.

@JR 500 Man, I totally forgot about the Sonic! I actually have a friend living in Fukuoka, so I guess I could plan several different trips from there. The EVA 500 is a brilliant idea! I still gotta ride the 500 series anyway. Do you know if there's a timetable for the EVA 500?

If you're going to be in Takamatsu, it's about an hour on the Marine Liner to Okayama, then it's another hour on a kaisoku to Tsuyama or an hour on the shinkansen to Kyoto.

• Like 1
I knew some folks who took a ferry from somewhere around western Ehime over to Oita.  But, they said it wasn't super clean.

I took the ferry from the port close to Matsuyama to Usui (I think) on Kyushu, just south of Oita IIRC. It didn't strike me as particularly dirty or anything, though it's a working ferry rather than a tourist one so very basic amenities.

I was in Kyushu for a little over a month last July while the ship I was working on was in Sasebo. If you are in the area I do recommend taking the SeaSide Liner between Sasebo and Nagasaki, the route along Omura Bay is beautiful and the Kiha 66/67s that they use are in amazing condition.  Also Huis Ten Bosch is nearby, although I never got to visit so I don't know if its worth a visit.

Kiha 66/67 2 at Ogushigo

• Like 1

One ferry ride I have done in Kyushu is from Shimabara to Kumamoto, you can combine it with a ride on the Shimabara Railway as an interesting way of travelling between Nagasaki and Kumamoto or vice versa.

• Like 1

There is a nice Railway Museum at Mojiko at the northern tip of Kyushu. The station building in Mojiko is almost a museum itself. If you are there in the weekend, there is also a small tourist train on old freight tracks.

• Like 1

If you want to see beautiful sceneries and visit a nice little island, push south to Yakushima.

Its forests have inspired Miyazaki for the ones you see in the movie Princess Mononoke.

On Kyushu itself :

- Kumamoto : castle, Kumamon, SL Hitoyoshi

- Mount Unzen

- Aso Caldera

- Kurokawa Onsen

- Takachiho and its gorges

- Beppu

And lots more...

• Like 1

Kyushu:-

Nagasaki + trams
Fukuoka
Kumamoto + Kumaden + trams + castle + koen
Hohi Line + Toroko Minamiaso Railway @ Tateno
Kyudai Line + Bungomori w/ roundhouse + Sugikawacki station w/ Jion Falls
Beppu
Dazaifu
Shimabara + Shimbara Railway + Unzen Onsen
Yufuin
Mt Aso
Kita-Kyushu + Mojiko + Retro Town + JRW Museum
Itusuki + Ibusuki no Tamatebako
Kagoshima + trams + Sakarujima
Miyazaki + Aoshima
Orange Railway
Hisatsu Line, SL Hitoyoshi, Isaburo/Shinpei/Hayato no Kaze
Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

@miyakoji Oho, it's my first time hearing about these museums. Definitely something for my list. Actually, I might finally go visit the Saitama Railway Museum too. Last time I couldn't, because Tokyo and Saitama were hit by massive snow.

The Tsuyama museum will open April 2nd: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11109-new-museum-tsuyama-railroad-educational-museum/?do=findComment&comment=132349 and the Kyoto museum will open April 29th: http://www.kyotorailwaymuseum.jp/en/

• Like 1

I'm going to the Fukuoka/Kita-Kyushu area end of next month for a couple of days.  Mainly to ride Nishitetsu, any of the 103's still left on the Chikuhi Line, and my favorite, The Chikuho Electric. I also plan to see the old lift bridge over the Chikugo River.  Not really recommendations, but just some things from the exclusively railfan perspective. Foodwise, looking to score a bowl of "goboten udon" (burdock root tempura udon).

• Like 1

I also plan to see the old lift bridge over the Chikugo River.  Not really recommendations, but just some things from the exclusively railfan perspective. Foodwise, looking to score a bowl of "goboten udon" (burdock root tempura udon).

It is an interesting old line the Saga Railway Line.  I can trace is from Saga before I loose it at Yakabe Station area on google maps.

• Like 1

It is an interesting old line the Saga Railway Line.

Yes indeed.  In happier days it hosted 10 trains in each direction, plus a through cross-country express service that ran between Nagasaki and Kumamoto, the type of operation which is extinct on the contemporary railway system.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I'm going to the Fukuoka/Kita-Kyushu area end of next month for a couple of days.  Mainly to ride Nishitetsu, any of the 103's still left on the Chikuhi Line, and my favorite, The Chikuho Electric. I also plan to see the old lift bridge over the Chikugo River.  Not really recommendations, but just some things from the exclusively railfan perspective. Foodwise, looking to score a bowl of "goboten udon" (burdock root tempura udon).

That's pretty good. I love lift bridges! They are great pieces of engineering! Unfortunately, railway lift bridges are somewhat rare in Germany, and sometimes look like this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnin_Lift_Bridge