Some questions about the DF200 Diesel Locomotive

EWS60008

Hello everyone,

I have some particular interesting questions about the Japanese DF200 Diesel Freight (I assume) Locomotive. Would anyone know what type of power unit is used to power these locomotives and also what is the maximum speed that these locomotives are capable of? I've seen some videos of them on YouTube and to me they sound like a cross between a VP185 or MTU956 power unit. But if anyone knows more about the power units they have, I would be interested to know :grin. Also would these DF200's be the strongest Diesel Locomotives in Japan? I know that in the UK the Class 60 is the most powerful Diesel Freight Locomotive in service :cheesy.

cheers

disturbman

Easy: Wikipedia in Japanese  :grin

The technical informations are all here. As for the speed, I'm not sure but I'm guessing that this loc should do 130kph. It's the maximal speed allowed on JR tracks (except on the Shinkansen lines) since the whole system is narrow-gauge.

Sadly this is asking about one of the few engines we don't have on our JNS Wiki. Can't read the kanji (only know kanas) to translate.

Thanks for the link guys, It looks like my suspicions of the PU being an MTU type were correct as the DF200 uses 2x MTU 12V396TE14 Power Units.

bikkuri bahn

Thanks for the link guys, It looks like my suspicions of the PU being an MTU type were correct as the DF200 uses 2x MTU 12V396TE14 Power Units.

Note the DF200 50 series and up are powered by Komatsu SDA12V170 engines.  These share parts with the SA12V170-1 engines used by DD51 locomotives that have undergone "B" renewals by JR Hokkaido.

pictures:

http://www.komatsu-kdl.com/products/tetsudou.html

http://yuzukihara.blog27.fc2.com/blog-category-1.html

Thanks for the info on the Komatsu PU's. I didn't know they made power units for those locomotives. Either way, they have a very similar whine to a VP185 when powering up :cheesy.