bad train movie

cteno4

I got the video from a store that was closing down recently. Pretty bizarre! Not a happy ending for some. fairly gruesome fight scenes, but I guess it was entertaining! I have viewed it twice so far (not sure if my review can be a recommendation .Lol)

It's a movie based on a French graphic novel (band desinée) 'Le Transperceneige' (The Snowpiercer) from 1982.

It was more intended as a story with socio-political intrigue in a surrealistic place. The setting is more intended as a dystopian, claustrophobic and fantastic one, rather than logical and realistic. The story portrays the case of a strict hierarchical class society that merges into a social-revolution. It's a relative regularly occurring theme in French BD's from that era, but this is probably the most memorable, as it has had a great cultural impact. In this sense, I can see a parallel to the 80s mecha animation 'Xabungle' (戦闘メカザブングル [Sentō Meka Zabunguru]), though there are probably better examples to compare the theme with.

Yeah the social plot looked very interesting, the train bit just looked too horrid on film! Interesting annology, though, but seems better suited for a novel or graphic novel. Beakaboy' shaving seen it makes it worth a Netflix pick!

Hey the suspension of reality that has to happen with most all action movies these days is as great w.o much of any interesting social commentary plot to it!

Jeff

By the way, it's also good to realise this BD comes from an age in a country where projects like these were undertaken, and taken very very seriously:

aerotrain-1974-gr.jpg

I don't remember what dystopian BD it was exactly where the Aérotrain reappeared in, but it had cannons and sub-machine guns mounted on the roof and sides... It's truly a legacy of that age. xD

HHmmm... I thought the trailer portraited  the movie quite well ~ 

*The people in front thinks they own us. It will be different when we get there.' Control the engine, we control the world.'

Actually I felt that this sentence is truly fitting to our world actually.... 

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I didn't think it was a bad movie really, more a pretty average one. Just don't go into it expecting it to be a movie about trains ;)

That movie gave me nausea,

Especially calling that sort-of locomotive "the holy locomotive" was too much even for a railfan like me.

If i've to watch an action film located on a train, i'll choose "The Taking Of Pelham 123".

It is holy as it is a perpetual motion motor apparently. That I can see working with allegory and story, getting to perfection, the driving force, God, etc.

This is where I see graphic novels or just novels a story like this can work really well, but really fall apart on the screen. The more subtle ideological things can work well with wild allegories and metaphors like this as you imagination tends to focus on the ideas more and let's the odd things slip past and warps the physical reality around the ideas. On the big screen it's the physical reality that hits you first (and sooo much harder these days as film makers just keep upping the visual ante) and then the idea has to fit into that and the odder physical bits our visual mind is so more tuned into saying, hey that ain't right!

But if the physical reality can break free from the normal reality in a movie you can allow the eyes an mind to easily slide into the odd reality to tell wilder story and ideas in powerful ways. But I fear here the train concept is a too standard physical reality that the eyes and mind will latch onto...

Then you get to the writers that are so good at crafting the story all in you own imagination that a billion dollar film could never top! Watching lord of the rings I was struck that it was done supurbly well, but was such a shallow and pale echo of what still danced in my head having read them so many times in the last 50 years. Each time I've read it, it just became more vivid and more details creep in.

Jeff