Toyoko Inn @ Kyoto Biwako Otsu

katoftw

Toyoko Inn?

While they are quite alright for a budget stay, I don't recommend it much... The place is indeed just enough for staying for the night. There's free breakfast though, but don't expect a spread... Just some rice Onigiri or salad or bread with butter and jam and coffee/ tea... Cant complain for the price to pay for it, and besides there always seem to be a Toyoko Inn (if not more) around stations...

• Like 1

The Keishin Line runs right in front of its doorstep, so it gets a thumbs up from me.  Basically, Toyoko Inn is far superior to anything you would get in the U.S. at its price point (50 usd a night gets you a dive motel in most off the interstate locations). In fact I wish Toyoko Inn would open hotels in N. America or Europe, preferably in places with good public transit access.  Right now the firm seems content on expanding only in Asia.

I've spent a couple of nights there. It's a bit far from the (JR) station, but otherwise I had nothing to complain about.

(BTW, two years ago they had a half British/Australian(?) half Japanese male receptionist.)

Das Steinkopf

Someone rates it highly. Much much for words though. haha

attachicon.giftokoyo inn otsu.JPG

Well there was plenty to see around the area, 800 Series plying their way past the hotel on a regular basis and if you go for a 5 minute walk down the road a plethora of 600 and 700 Series in an array of liveries Edited by Das Steinkopf

The post wasn't to highlight Toyoko Inn's features.  I just came across a fellow community members feedback while searching hotels.  But if we are comparing hotels, then...

Considering what I paid for hotels on my last visit.  I wish I'd known about their hotels and website deals.  Paying 6500-8000 yen per night depending on location and day for a economy double (140cm wide bed), and getting a 300 yen discount per night on top of that would've made it a lot cheaper than my previous trip.  Add 500 per night if you want a 180cm wide bed.

I'm happy with what they offer from the pictures provided.  Looks no different from what I stayed in last trip to Japan.  But get breakfast included also.

Edited by katoftw

Right now the firm seems content on expanding only in Asia.

According to their ads they have one hotel in Germany (Frankfurt, if I can remember well). And their plans are to go (eventually) worldwide.

Cheers NB

Basically, Toyoko Inn is far superior to anything you would get in the U.S. at its price point (50 usd a night gets you a dive motel in most off the interstate locations).

That may be your experience, but I have to disagree.

Based on the photos, the room in the U.S. would be twice as large, and it's a lot easier to find non-smoking rooms.

Based on the photos, the room in the U.S. would be twice as large, and it's a lot easier to find non-smoking rooms.

Larger room for 50USD? Please do post a link! :)

Das Steinkopf

Do they do baggage storage for the day of arrivals or departures?

They can store your baggage for a few hours on arrival, I am not sure on departure as we left early in the morning to catch the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo.

The post wasn't to highlight Toyoko Inn's features. I just came across a fellow community members feedback while searching hotels. But if we are comparing hotels, then...

Considering what I paid for hotels on my last visit. I wish I'd known about their hotels and website deals. Paying 6500-8000 yen per night depending on location and day for a economy double (140cm wide bed), and getting a 300 yen discount per night on top of that would've made it a lot cheaper than my previous trip. Add 500 per night if you want a 180cm wide bed.

I'm happy with what they offer from the pictures provided. Looks no different from what I stayed in last trip to Japan. But get breakfast included also.

I thought it was funny that someone here had actually found that, my wife and kids enjoyed the breakfast but I stuck to my usual of cereal and yoghurt, there is a fairly decent supermarket in the covered mall just down the road with a wide range of food. The rooms have a kettle and fridge but if you want to microwave something you have to go downstairs to the dining area in the lobby, they don't have any bowls or spoons but they can be purchased fairly cheap at the supermarket down the road. Also of note is the strategic placement of the beer vending machine near the laundry area, comes in handy when the dilligent husband is washing the clothes late at night whist the missus is asleep Edited by Das Steinkopf

I would have to agree that $50 would definitely get you a dive hotel these days in a lot of the US! I've been shocked at the prices in the last few years. while I have stayed in many dives, I have steered clear of anything sub $50 lately as I would seriously worry of the creepy crawlies... Use to be there were nice little cheap places to find, nothing fancy, but clean and serviceable, but lately those seem to be gone!

Non smoking is great, but my experience is the cheaper the place then much more likely I walk Into the non smoking rooms that have obvious smoke odor. Go back to the front desk and hopefully there is another non smoking room but many times you end up with it...

I have always been impressed with the inexpensive business hotels like these as they have not inflated in price much over the years and have always been clean and just what needed. Maybe a tiny room, and in a big guy, but like others I just need a clean and conviently place to sleep and rest and not play with any six legged friends...

Jeff

Larger room for 50USD? Please do post a link! :)

I can honestly say that I've never had a room that small at any place I've ever stayed in the U.S.

1) They can store your baggage for a few hours on arrival, I am not sure on departure as we left early in the morning to catch the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo.

2) I thought it was funny that someone here had actually found that, my wife and kids enjoyed the breakfast but I stuck to my usual of cereal and yoghurt, there is a fairly decent supermarket in the covered mall just down the road with a wide range of food. The rooms have a kettle and fridge but if you want to microwave something you have to go downstairs to the dining area in the lobby, they don't have any bowls or spoons but they can be purchased fairly cheap at the supermarket down the road. Also of note is the strategic placement of the beer vending machine near the laundry area, comes in handy when the dilligent husband is washing the clothes late at night whist the missus is asleep

3) To be honest when I go on holidays all I want from a hotel room is that it is clean and tidy with comfortable beds and basic ammenities such as private bathroom and fridge etc, for me the sole purpose of a hotel room is somewhere to get some sleep and rest as well as storing my luggage, the rest of the time I want to be out sightseeing and shopping.

1- Perfect.  I'd be doing the same.  I'd like to arrive at my destinations by noonish so I can walk off and do other things.*

2- Sounds like our families need to visit Japan together.  Seems we share the same type of arrangements. haha

3- Couldn't agree more.

* = Last trip we booked out at 9-10am.  Caught a 10-11am Shinkansen to next location.  Arrived at hotel at 2-3pm.  The kids were up at 5-6am and asleep at 5-6pm.  So wasted all that 4ish hours free time in the morning and not enough time in the arvo for anything.  I'd prefer next time to be travelling 9-12 with sightseeing and shopping 1-4.

Edited by katoftw

I can honestly say that I've never had a room that small at any place I've ever stayed in the U.S.

You have not stayed in NYC! ;-p

I've had $250 rooms with about 18" wide path around the double bed for the total floor space! Bathroom had the sink overhanging the toilet a bit so you could go to the bathroom and wash your face at the same time!

One cool thing about the tiny Japanese bathrooms are they are well thought out!

Jeff

I have no issues with the room sizes in Japan.  I don't need a lounge chair were I can smoke cigars and read the morning paper at leisure.  The world is a different place nowadays.  While on a holidays, time and money are lacking.  The hotel room doesn't need to be big enough for me to waste my day in.  I need a bed.  Enough space to get in and out of the bed.  And a bathroom.  If I'm paying for more.  Then I'm wasting money.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

You have not stayed in NYC! ;-p

I've had $250 rooms with about 18" wide path around the double bed for the total floor space!

Makes this room I had in London for about 2/3rds of that price look positively luxurious.

hotel london

The bathroom sucked, mind you, but that's pretty much a given in London, regardless of hotel class. No lift either, just a 4-flight climb up some steep 18th or 19th century stairs. Still, it was close to the station.

Bathroom had the sink overhanging the toilet a bit so you could go to the bathroom and wash your face at the same time!

Excellent arrangement if you happen to come down with a case of noro virus.

• Like 1

Excellent arrangement if you happen to come down with a case of noro virus.

Ewwww, that is a mindwig!

Edited by cteno4

One thing that Toyoko Inn does is you know the room quality will be reasonably consistent. I'd like to see them build more Toyoko Inns near major Shinkansen stations (there are three Toyoko Inns within short walking distance of Okayama Station, for starters).

I always stay at Toyoko Inns if there is one in town, I think they are very good value for money compared with my last two trips to Europe and the UK.  I for one don't go on holidays to spend the day in a room so all I want in a hotel room is a comfortable bed, a hot shower and free wifi, anything else is wasted money that I could spend on other things.  Breakfast is usually not much, but this is Japan so you will probably pass six bakeries on the way to the station.

I was looking at the Biwako-Otsu hotel for a two night stay in the area in September but am now leaning towards Maibara https://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00250/index.html The Shinkansen and Tokkaido Main Line right next to the hotel, what more could you want?

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 1

I'm looking at the Kanda Akihabara hotel, sits right on top of the Bakuro-cho Station on the Sobu Line.  So direct link to Narita airport and 5 minutes from Tokyo Station.  Great since the flight comes in and you are out of customs/immigration around 7:30pm, with a 60-70 minute train ride into Tokyo.

Biwako Otsu since well, I wanna visit the local area and trains.

And Hakata Ekimae 1 or 2 - But these seems very popular and are book out, even onto the member only months.  If I cannot get these, then The B Hakata will do.  Very similar style of hotels.

Edited by katoftw

I still bookmark the booking url for Toyoko-Inn, since it is a good budget hotel for those late arrivals ay night or early departures in the morning....

There's one near Shinjuku, the busiest train station in the world:

h82map.jpg

I still bookmark the booking url for Toyoko-Inn, since it is a good budget hotel for those late arrivals ay night or early departures in the morning....

There's one near Shinjuku, the busiest train station in the world:

h82map.jpg

I just *love* the hotels around there.