Hobby Search

bill937ca

Yen has been weak for a while now. I've been stockpiling so hobby stuff the past few months.

I don't think we'll see SAL return. And if it does, it'll be a year or two before if does.

Edited by katoftw

I'm wondering how is that going to work with the Customs service I have in my country.

Does pre-tax collection have a specific route that ships straight home?

Or am I still going to be bothered by Customs?

Edited by Giugiaro

@Giugiaro Basically what will happen is that the tax declaration will be affixed to the box with a vendor IOSS-ID

The tax declaration will be communicated directly to the tax collector; upon entry the IOSS-ID is checked to see if taxes are indeed paid.

If the check is completed successfully, the parcel is immediately cleared by customs.

What can happen sometimes is that the vendor does not declare the tax correctly, in which case they will still charge VAT and the administration fee. In that case you need to complain at the vendor to get your money back.

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Meh. Already been doing it for 2 years. For euro buyers, it's just shifting where you pay for gst/vat.

Hi, 

Not only. If VAT is paid directly at the invoice, you're saving the declaration fees of DHL or La Poste or whatever .... and for DHL, everytime there is a VAT to collect, they charge fees on top (fees + VAT on top of the fees to be exact) around 20 euros. 

So that, it's a way to save money. 

Edited by JR East
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, bill937ca said:

On October 3 the EU was added to the list of tax collection list.

2022/10/03For EU customer, we will begin tax collection (IOSS) from 11th October, 2022.
For more detail, please check tax collection page.

https://www.1999.co.jp/tax_collection_e.html

I've read that already and what I'm surprised of is 

[EU]

We will charge VAT for order cost Euro 150 or less.

Tax collection for EU countries is expected to start from 11th October, 2022. If the order cost is over Euro 150, you will be required to pay VAT at border.

I do not understand why this limit is set to 150 € or less

Generally speaking, to save money on delivery cost, orders are very frequently above 150 €. 

It's more than weird as for other countries they announce 'no matter how much the cost'.

JM. 

Edited by JR East
add info
14 minutes ago, JR East said:

I've read that already and what I'm surprised of is 

[EU]

We will charge VAT for order cost Euro 150 or less.

Tax collection for EU countries is expected to start from 11th October, 2022. If the order cost is over Euro 150, you will be required to pay VAT at border.

I do not understand why this limit is set to 150 € or less

Generally speaking, to save money on delivery cost, orders are very frequently above 150 €. 

It's more than weird as for other countries they announce 'no matter how much the cost'.

JM. 

They will use the IOSS program and this program only covers orders not exceeding the EUR 150 threshold: https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/ioss_en

Above EUR 150 it gets more complicated, because then you have to pay customs duties (rate depending on the type of goods and their origin) in addition to VAT.

• Thanks 1

Dunno about the new regions/nations added.

Bit when introduced to Australia a few years ago. The system was only used for the previous tax/duty free threshold range, 0 to 1000 aud.

Similar to the 150 euro?

roadstar_na6
22 hours ago, Darklighter said:

Above EUR 150 it gets more complicated, because then you have to pay customs duties (rate depending on the type of goods and their origin) in addition to VAT.

Luckily on model trains the customs rate is 0% 😄

58 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Luckily on model trains the customs rate is 0% 😄

Same here. Unless you order from Lemke/Noch. Then you have to pay the Lemke/Noch tax. 😂

• Haha 2

Anyone purchased from HS recently and had a really long wait between payment and shipping?

I currently have an item with no shipment date that I paid for 2 weeks ago.

Could be an error. Or staff illness. Or other.

I have sent an inquiry.

Edited by katoftw
5 hours ago, katoftw said:

Anyone purchased from HS recently and had a really long wait between payment and shipping?

I currently have an item with no shipment date that I paid for 2 weeks ago.

Could be an error. Or staff illness. Or other.

I have sent an inquiry.

My last order was paid on Sep 26, shipped on Sep 28, and received on Oct 2. Would be very hard to do better than that.

1 hour ago, maihama eki said:

My last order was paid on Sep 26, shipped on Sep 28, and received on Oct 2. Would be very hard to do better than that.

How does that relate to shipment delays?

Edited by katoftw
19 minutes ago, katoftw said:

How does that relate to shipment delays?

I was trying to illustrate that I had seen no delay with a recent order, so perhaps it is something specific to your order.

• Like 1

Of course it is something specific to my order. Hence asking if others have delay to narrow down those specifics. Saying my last order was fast doesn't net any useful info towards delays. Thanks for trying.

Love to hear from people that actualy have had recent delays between payment to shipment dates.

Edited by katoftw

Children, play nice.

Seems unusual that your package wouldn’t have shipped yet, 14 or so days after payment was completed. It happens that packages using certain, specific shipping methods are collected less often than others. I had once a package sit for a week at a seller because the weekly pickup had happened before my package was ready.

So HS allowed me to pick an shipping option that has been suspended. Hence the delay.  They didn't inform me though. So if you have a delay in shipping, check earlier than I did.

Took 2 return emails to finally get them to give up those details. Paid 410jpy to have it changed from surface to air mail instead.

Will be shipped out this week.

Makes sense. After you mentioned your issue, I saw the announcement of suspension of a shipping option to Australia. And wondered if they had let you used it.

So I just looked at picking up a train at hobby search, 3 car standard bookcase. Shipping is 4410 yen for DHL and 6600 yen for EMS to the US! Yikes! Last order from amiami a couple of months ago had like 3 bookcases in it for 3079 yen DHL shipping.

i went back and looked at my last HS order and it was a couple of Tomytec trams and one mech in sept and it was 4117 yen DHL. So I guess HS has a bad DHL contract.

jeff

On 10/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, katoftw said:

So HS allowed me to pick an shipping option that has been suspended. Hence the delay.  They didn't inform me though. So if you have a delay in shipping, check earlier than I did.

Took 2 return emails to finally get them to give up those details. Paid 410jpy to have it changed from surface to air mail instead.

Will be shipped out this week.

So the saga continued.

Took 4 days for them to acknowledge payment.  And another 4 days to ship it.

Honestly I should taken the 10% restocking fee hit and had then cancel the order.

They wouldn't let me combine it with something else.  Ended up being 1300jpy worth of shipping for 1100jpy worth of tomytec containers.

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

So I just looked at picking up a train at hobby search, 3 car standard bookcase. Shipping is 4410 yen for DHL and 6600 yen for EMS to the US! Yikes! Last order from amiami a couple of months ago had like 3 bookcases in it for 3079 yen DHL shipping.

i went back and looked at my last HS order and it was a couple of Tomytec trams and one mech in sept and it was 4117 yen DHL. So I guess HS has a bad DHL contract.

jeff

I am finding AmiAmi's and PlazaJapan's shipping options better value currently to Oz. Difference will be had in the destination.

HS are only offering the premium version of shipping services. Registered airmail is the minimum they offer to Oz. 1300 Yen vs 900 Yen for regular airmail the both AA and PJ offer.